don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Wow! So far this actually looks... dare I say it... good! Those crimble trees look fucking lovely. Sonic doesn't look like a cunt anymore (looks like a great new running animation), and there's some nice fresh new ideas. I'm honestly not seeing much of a rehash in the so called "Aquatic Marble Zone", it looks like an abandoned fortress/castle to me, and the drilling platform zone looks fucking badass!

I'm not a buyer yet though. I'm still seeing bubbles chains and only 4 zones. 2 years is a long wait for 4 zones... and they'd better be fucking awesome too, or they can go fuck themselves in the arse with a rusty metal penis.

2. gold lightning

gold lightning

I must say I'm not too excited about rehashing more past levels. (They do seem to be much more creative this time however.) I am atleast glad that they seem to be going for a much nicer look.

I'm interested to see how Sonic and Tails will interact with each other. I just hope that I can have the option to not use Tails in the special stages though. This is because even if they make them faithful to the originals, they will be a headache with Tails always running into things and losing my rings.

With that said, I still need footage to show me the physics because I just can't bring myself to be excited about this if I don't see huge improvement there.

Also, if the increase in quality of the graphics was a result from them dropping WiiWare, it was a good call in my book.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Wow. The visuals actually look deep and impressive! Well done, graphics team. I like what I see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]69, DUDES!

Really.

I'll be looking forward to how Sonic and Tails tag-team in this. For the first time, Tails might actually be useful!

Well okay there was Sonic Advance 3, but nobody likes that game.

Happy to see some original badniks too. I just wish Bubbles would go away. Nobody likes him anymore.

+1 for Aquatic Marble Zone at night.

4. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I'd label myself "cautiously optimistic" for now. I like what I see, but I definitely need to see more before I can forgive Episode I.

5. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    This is really beautiful. I'm actually pretty much sold on this game - just some good gameplay footage and I'll pay whatever it is they want me to pay, as long as it's not obsenely excessive (or if it is, only if it ends up in Ken speaking to me in Spanish).

Although fuck Bubbles. Only recurring badnik from the first part, and it wasn't even one of the ones that made sense in whatever zone it was in. I could have lived with Shellcracker in the sandy robotics zone, but meh.

Also, CO-OP. Fuck yes.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wow, really? I'm the only one who thinks this looks awful? Everyone was harping on the use of pre-rendered level graphics, and I could never figure out why, because the result was undoubtedly polished and the parallax wouldn't have added much to it. The problem was when it was polished to the point where shit started looking like plastic, and that was only really a problem for Splash Hill. Everything else looked gorgeous. Well, you've reaped what you've sown! You've traded polish for a PS2-quality uniform matte appearance and the ability to occasionally see the sides of platforms, which is apparently exciting.

Stage themes haven't gotten much more interesting either. "Oil stage" is one of my favorite Sonic tropes though, so there's that. Might be cool in motion?

7. serpx

serpx

I'm sure this game will look beautiful in motion, compared to screens, but let's take another moment to gander at that Death Egg/Little Planet mix in the sky. Okay ... so ... why aren't the current 3D games giving us stories like that? This is back to the basics, harping back to the Genesis days, where games like Sonic CD or Sonic 3 & Knuckles actually had a fun and EPIC story.

I missed this. This is on a good track so far, IMO. Story had a place in Sonic games, and I feel Sonic isn't Sonic without a well-written story. Not trying to go off topic much, but Unleashed/Generations was a bit too basic. Epic stories FTW.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Unless the physics are fixed (yes, fixed) no matter how impressive it looks in screenshots, I won't be buying this game. We got fooled once, nobody should forget that.

If SEGA do amaze us and fix them, then, hell, SEGA made the comeback of the century.

9. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I really am not personally seeing how this looks "awful".

I agree that there are certainly anti-aliasing issues in several of the screens, but it still looks like a massive improvement over Episode I. And that's not just because we can see the sides of platforms now, either. The overall art style just looks better to me, and it seems like a substantial amount of more effort was put into the production of the graphics. Even Lost Labyrinth Zone, which I thought had some of the best visuals in Episode I, looks rather bland now in comparison to Episode II's visuals.

Each to their own, though.

10. Machenstein

Machenstein

Am I the only one hoping this game will have skins for classic Sonic/Tails/Eggman/Metal Sonic?

11. Sploit

Sploit

Liking what I see from the screenshots.

Have to say I am getting a heroes feel from the screens showing the Sonic&Tails Combo moves, especially from the shot that shows a screen type thing too, perhaps suggesting a team move must be done at that point to carry on? similar to heroes' "you must switch to certain character type to progress" thing (Though most of - if not all of - the time, there was a way around that).

12. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I'm pretty confident in this game but come on... 4 zones only again? This game will be over quickly. I just can't stand short games... I hope there's a versus mode to compliment co-op at least.

Also this Aquatic Ruins homage looks great. Fuck all the "rehash" comments.

13. serpx

serpx

I agree. What I am hoping for is, after these episodes are over for Sonic 4, and they have the formula nailed down, perhaps they can create a new 2D/2.5D story arc where it's an actual full-fledged DLC game, rather than just these small episodes.

14. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I hope they pull us for a loop and introduce 4 more levels once we get the Chaos Emeralds.

I'm impressed with the graphics, but not so much with the number of levels.

15. This..THIS...

This is what I wanted from Sonic 4 to BEGIN WITH.

It looks amazing, especially when compared to Episode 1's bland style. The Co-Op is BACK and looks as awesome as ever. The zones look very unique compared to the previous game, and now as long as the physics are up to snuff...this WILL be worth the $15.

As with everyone else...I also wanted more zones, but to be fair...they did STEP IT UP with all our complaints with the graphics.

I am now very interested to seeing where this will go. That nod back to Little Planet was AWESOME.

16. Scripten

Scripten

Okay, well, at least the art style doesn't look like total ass this time. Also, I propose we call the special Sonic-Tails move the "69" maneuver.

The levels actually look really, really cool. I mean, they're actually using a few new level tropes with distinct graphics that actually stick in the mind.

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Something I just noticed. Methinks that Sonic's running sprites/renders might have been changed since Episode 1...
    [​IMG]
    Am I the only one who's noticing this change?

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Looks like Sonic 2 Beta running.

19. I doubt they are renders anymore, seeing as everything else is 3D.
    Yeah, it looks pretty, and the levels are more inspired. And online bro-op is cool, shame no one will play it after a week.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    They are only showing three levels, aren't they?

Aquatic Marble Garden
    Snow Carnival
    Oil Ocean

Anyway, these look sooooo much better than ep1. I'm just slightly sad not to see any classic.