don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Gardow? No don't think he was, considering I know him.

2. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    I think it's a bit unfair to be mad at HIM because someone else showed it to Naka. Sure, he did try to trick people, but I can't say that he intended to trick any of the original developers. He probably didn't even think that someone like Yuji Naka was ever going to pay mind to his fan game in the first place.
    He did trick a lot of people. Mostly people who don't know any better, which is a lot more than our little minority here. So he accomplished this despite not fooling most of us here.

What did come out of this was a lot of people being inspired to look for the actual proto. Whether or not it still exists is uncertain, but that's what makes it fun. Most of us joined this place because we were so fascinated with these prototype sonic games, so it's nice to see a change of pace, an interest in finding information on the sonic 1 protos blowning up. Even if the hype will probably die down in a few days.

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    It's too bad others trying to find the truth don't confide in us tech members as a more reliable source of info and insight. Don't misread me here, I'm not gloating or anything. I'm just saying that everyone is an expert of sorts at their own things. I found it odd through all of this that the tech members were being halfway dismissed. Yes, there are some good reasons to stay away from speculation, but there's informed speculation and there's uninformed speculation. Take your pick.

Anyway, glad to see he finally confessed. That was the mature thing to do. If he wants to be extra bold and get extra respect, he might want to just come out and say who he is even if people don't forgive him. Either way, I'm not concerned over it.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like this idea. Let's do that!

5. dsrb

dsrb

Hey, before you gloat and patronise too much:

He already pointed it out himself, too!

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    God damn are you a pompous prick, man. Calm down. Yeah, it was a hoax, and yes we were fooled, but we've had so very many in the past it was about time for another.

As for "respecting the tech members in knowing what they do", I was fooled until the third video, and so were others. There was not enough substantial proof until that very point. There was some, yes, but not enough to debunk it altogether.

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Relax... It's just a light-hearted joke! :v: Please, don't get me wrong; as a hoax, it was pretty successful. However...
    ...while it was successful as a hoax, it lacks actual substantial value as an actual fan game. Keyword here: game. You see, two sides of the same coin.

8. On the contrary, I think there was more than enough proof that it was fake not just in the initial videos (You didn't need to be a Genesis techy to know the physics looked like Klikteam, not Sonic Team), but in terms of the identity of the person.
    As I brought up on the #retro IRC chatroom, his attempts at sounding like a second-hand English speaker from Japan were, if anything, even faker than the "proto vids" themselves. (Do note that as I work on Satellablog, I've actually spoken to Japanese folks who study English as a second language. I know how they speak.)
    I'm not gonna sincerely believe this guy made a good hoax - it's just another case of "Most the folks want this so badly they'll follow any lead, no matter how unconvincing."
    The prototype-collecting community has shown time and time again that tons of people will fall for a hoax prototype no matter how absurd it sounds. Anyone here remember the Bio Force Ape "Dur Butter" and "2k Monies" memes?
    I'll admit I'd probably fall for something similar if it was a Satellaview hoax, if only because in spite of skepticism I'm eager to pursue a new Satellaview find.

9. corneliab

corneliab

Who is "we"? This thing was slapdash at best and most people weren't giving him the benefit of the doubt. Combined with his hopelessly oblivious and persistently unhelpful persona, it's a wonder that a select few were sticking up for him to begin with.

Also, it's funny how this thread didn't just get trashed. In the general Sonic forum, this thing belonged for a few pages back when it was just a funny little recent oddity. As a fangame, it doesn't merit much discussion beyond it having shitty physics, inaccurately replicated art, and next to no content. Gee, how interesting!

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Yeah I mean they should have waited until a bit more evidence was brought down the table before showing that vid to Naka. This whole hoax fiasco just go to show that people want to be fooled.

11. S1impikenz

S1impikenz

Sonic 1 layout hack
    As have I, drx. My chances will rise again this coming March, as always.

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Eh? Considering drx has got more contacts in both the proto trading "underground" so to speak, and with old developers from the past, I can't imagine anyone else would have a chance if they're only just starting off proto hunting with something this elusive. What's happening in March that's apparently "as always?"

Reminds me of when I started trying proto hunting, though. I actually did find an old EGM editor and contact the a former developer at Kemco, plus found someone that it turned out drx was in the middle of negotiations with then(iirc drx said that fell through :( ), so it is possible to happen upon some neat things. Can't see anyone without his experience ever getting a Sonic 1 proto though.

13. Lambda

Lambda

It wasn't so much that people wanted to be fooled, as it was that people wanted to believe a prototype of Sonic 1 had been discovered. I know I was excited , though, I was kinda skeptical ...

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'll never believe a topic like this. there was way too much going against it to ever believe it was real.

Until the day DRX makes a topic saying he found it and he needs our help, everything I see short of old S1 proto magazine scans I'll take with a grain of salt.

15. S1impikenz

S1impikenz

Sonic 1 layout hack
    Well, of coarse I don't have anywhere near the contacts that drx has, but the ones I have are pretty major and they surprisingly know little to nothing about the rarity of their protos. Unfortunately I can't say much more than that right now until something actually transpires, but if it does, then my name may definitely receive a spot in the Wiki. As for March, there is an annual gaming expo where much of these contacts are usually formed.

16. I'm just glad we have people that have not given up on finding a Sonic 1 proto. I wouldn't know where to begin such a hunt, so I'm glad we have people who know what they're doing taking care of it. Ever since I discovered this page (S2BETA!), there's nothing I wish more than seeing a Sonic 1 prototype. Seeing other possibilities for the franchise, how different the first few games could have been like... I'm fascinated by this idea.

These videos in particular didn't impress me much... One of the reasons I thought they were fake was the complete absence of anything new. Absolutely everything in them was already known from screenshots or interviews, and this really made them scream out "recreation!". If we ever found anything this early, chances are there would be something, no matter how small, that wasn't documented before.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    we/w?/
    Pronoun:

1. Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together: "shall we have a drink?".
    2. Used to refer to the speaker together with other people regarded in the same category: "we teachers".

Hey look, I can be a dick too!

Excuse me? You posted once previous in this thread, and that was in reply to me with a completely unhelpful comment about the topic having "been shit from the start". Also, "persistently unhelpful persona" is a bit of a stretch, especially when there's a damn language barrier (I know there wasn't, it was faked, but you get my point that it can and does happen, a lot).

Hey, guess what? You see the X button at the top of your browser? You don't have to read a topic if you don't like it! What a concept, eh?

When all you have to a post is a complaint that's already been reiterated a thousand times, not only by yourself at least once but everyone else, then your post just becomes a "+1 ego". Enough of it.

18. corneliab

corneliab

It's funny how only a couple of lines in there are actually responding to my points, while the rest of it is basically just you being a smartass and resorting to "if you don't like it you don't have to read it." How the fuck does that even make sense. I'm responding because I don't like it- it's a goddamn discussion.

So yeah, I stand by what I said. Based on the above I'm assuming that you can only agree with it.

It's not a stretch, considering it's EXACTLY what I said. When combined with dodgy, limited footage that was becoming increasingly suspect, there really wasn't any good reason to continue humoring the guy and his incredibly convenient excuse. An excuse, might I add, was one that he wasn't even pulling off well. Kiddo Cabbusses already covered that.

19. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

None of which justifies, IMO, your musing over the thread not being binned sooner - until it was proven fake with definitive things like the confession/release of the fangame, which we had to badger the shit out of the video uploader to get, all we had was plenty of supporting evidence, and speculation. Declaring something to be X, without solid proof of it's truthfulness is ignorant - though we have enough EVIDENCE to say it is POSSIBLE, until we got that confession, we only had scant amount of theories, evidence from both sides - good AND bad - and arguing. Essentially, you were saying that the thread should have been binned purely because you thought so, and that's all the proof there needed to be [as oppose to those on both sides actually putting thought and reasoning into the validity or lack thereof, and DISCUSSING it.]

20. STILL no respect for the techies, huh? Isn't "THIS CRAP COULDN'T ACTUALLY RUN ON OLD HARDWARE" or "THIS DOESN'T MATCH UP WITH HOW THE GAME IS PROGRAMMED AT ALL" definitive proof enough? Even if you don't agree with those, -blatantly contradicting known knowledge about the prototype- should've been the sinker.
    Again, it sounds more to me like the actual, definitive proof was just ignored by the hopelessly hopefuls.