don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom

Pack it up folks. The peak of the series is right here.

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Loved it the first time I saw it, still loving it. Although that makes me wonder if you could somehow use that to mimic the motobug racers from Colors into an stage.

Also, I'm trying to fix the UV mapping. While it looks correct in some parts, it doesn't in some other models. I'm not sure if there's something that says "flip uvs" or use other style of uv wrapping(clamping, border color, mirroring, or just wrapping). Also just loading up diffuse maps at the moment, but it seems that indeed the string determines the type of maps it has.

Slapping some shadows to see if I can kill my GPU. (Also using the light directly from the binary .light file)
    [​IMG]

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Ouch, 16 FPS? What kind of machine are you running this on? I wouldn't mind it if shadows were removed to increase the framerate though, that is if it requires more than a decent graphics card and a dual core processor.

Nice work altogether, I cannot wait to see hacks of Generations in the same manner we see hacks of the Genesis/Mega Drive games.

4. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    because this is a long topic, I have to ask now that I got a PC that can play Generations at max settings. How do I change the music/characters? is there tutorials for this yet?

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Just to let you know, I love the progress you've made on SADX hacking. Although I prefer SA2 over SADX...but alas, there's no pc version of SA2.

On topic, the progress you're making is also fantastic Dario. And while I don't think there are any tutorials yet, replacing music shouldn't be too difficult at least Donnyku. Although it might be a pain to find whatever song you want to replace...

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

AMD Athlon x2 BE 2.7 GHZ, AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR 5, 2GB DDR2 RAM

They're not texture shadows, they're stencil shadows. Which is much heavier than if I was using a low-size shadow texture map(which I probably will later just to give it a smooth look). I was considering importing GIA instead but it's harder than it sounds... particularly with the current UV mapping problems. :X

Also, I'm not streaming the terrain in a radius like the game does so I'm mostly rendering useless junk around. But it's not a matter of RAM either, including objects RAM usage for that stage is around 400 mb. And yes, it's polygon heavy.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Heyheyhey, whoa there we do care! were just caught up in all this new sonic game hacking atm, after all we haven't had a new sonic game come to PC for ages then SEGA floods us with their current titles all in a matter of 6 months.

I love the DX Hacking you guys have done. Please keep it up.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    So here I was told that Spagonia would be a cluster to fix up to make collision. Then I found out how simple it actually is.

[​IMG]

Just need boxy buildings. Just had to use an old importer from way back to import them in, and not as a single mesh.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hey is it possible for the models in Free Riders to work in Generations? if so, it would be great to see model swaps or at least texture swaps.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

That is a stupid question and you should feel bad for asking it. Why in the fuck would a shitty cash-in Kinect game share engines with Unleashed/Generations; wouldn't you think someone would have mentioned this shit by now if they did?

11. @MainMemory

Please don't quit SADX. I downloaded a copy to mess with modding it, I just want to finish my current project before I start. Right now I'm working on something to help learn C++, and I was kind of looking forward to trying to make something new out of Sonic Adventure.

@TwilightZoney

So, since Spagonia was in both Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, does that make it any easier to port? I was thinking that since there's already a Rooftop Run level, it would give you more pre-made resources to work with so you didn't have to import and rework so much.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Guys I'm not quitting SADX hacking. I couldn't stop myself even if I wanted to. It's like a disease or a curse or something.

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

Importing level geometry barely needs any work to be honest, since the model formats are pretty similar between both games. It just needs a lot of reorganizing stuff around. It does make it easier to port that lots of the objects are already coded in the game for us to use. (Flying laser bots, barrel dropping scene, etc)

14. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    This is the same thread that wants ports of Colors (understandable) and 06 levels into Generations. :specialed:

Though even if the engines were the same I doubt Free Rider's models would be compatible anyway... I mean, don't they have a bunch of properties and constraints to them to have the bodies animate accordingly to the input from the Kinect system?

Free Riders material is kinda crappy anyway sooo...

15. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Personally I'm intersted in seeing both Unleashed games day stages ported.

16. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness

I'm willing to help with custom anims.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I know the script is still being worked on, but I'm really not in porting levels. I'm more interested in importing the .terrain-model in 3ds max. I'm not too concerned with how slow it is. I wish you guys luck in your future projects though.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Note that Unwiished probably doesn't use the same file formats as the X360/PS3 version, so it's probably either not possible or not a priority. Or both.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    What's wrong with the lighting? The videos of Sonic in the Unleashed levels look like they have no sun/source of light. Have you guys found out where that stuff is, yet?

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yes I can clearly see you hate the Riders series, I get it. But theres no reason to go off on me like I killed your dog or something. I suggested Free Riders because it was the only fucking Riders game that came out for the 360.

I just said if it was possible that the model formats share anything in common and maybe if it was possible to see if anything would work, Sonic Team likes to rehash resources even if its for 2 different sonic games.

Besides, I like the character designs in Riders. Sue me I like a shit series.