don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I second this. Hell, I think this thread should get locked and sent to trash while we're at it!

2. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Fall for it? More like "saw it and was reminded of the things they tried to do early in development". Why, he even wonders how the person got a holdof it.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I'm trying to figure out if he means that it's the prototype or that it's trying to gimmick the prototype =S Although in the case of the former that'd mean he had actually attempted to do that much parallax, right? (and I can see how: the parallax palmtrees and rocks can be just sprites, this would work as long as the main foreground was entirely made out of high priority tiles and the background entirely made out of low priority tiles - Ristar does it, after all)

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I got the response from Naka

anyone care to translate?
    as BabelFish sucks..... Couldn't make much since from it as it translated so strangely, lol

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????ROM?????????????????????

aw crap its the same response you guys got,,, sorry I couldn't edit my above post, as the edit button was messed up.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/naka.png/

5. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

That's the same thing that we were trying to figure out earlier:

Using Google Translate.

6. Vangar

Vangar

If this is a hack (im sure it is), we shouldn't have alerted Naka. Need to keep him close for emergencies and real finds, we bug him too much he might hide.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I remember in an interview where he said he was looking for his early work, so I think he will take any leads he can get.

8. Vangar

Vangar

Hmm true. But do you think this is real? I mean the footage is taking up the whole screen. If I had time I would screencap when he zooms in, try to count the pixel height of sonic, then take that as a reference on the full image and see if the resolution is even close to the megadrive, if you want to be certain.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    here is the bing translation.
    Sonic 1 proto: Sonic 1's are doing in the development of multiple scroll version from http://youtu.be/oHtzXzu2BDA @ youtube it. I know the rocks and palm trees in front? This ROM is up from nowhere, I have I left? But nostalgia wish.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    The best translation by far done by http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/
    It is the version which is doing multiplex scrolling under development as this Sonique 1.
    the kana ? understood that the tree and rock of a coconut are in this side -- where did such a ROM come out from? However, it is nostalgic.

11. Vangar

Vangar

This is more sinister then I thought. Why would he record at such an angle?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2017/betaas.png
    (sonic is overlapped)

Because its shit hard to overlay a screencap to analyze it. We've debunked hoaxes before this way, don't see an advantage doing that here though.

12. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    The equation is very simple. Cart or GTFO. I'm not gonna be speculating on whether this is real or fake with so little evidence. If Mr./Mrs. "Sonic 1 Proto" wants to show us it's real, they can start by showing the hardware and perhaps putting up some non-shit videos.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I've already said it before in a YouTube comment, a cartridge alone wouldn't be enough because we need to make sure its contents are indeed the prototype. The only proper proof we can get is the ROM dump itself... and then we need to analyze it to make sure it's a prototype and not a hack or something homebrew.

And all those machine translations are completely horrible.

14. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    "TheNEK()san" is just about the most generic "I'm trying to sound Japanese" username you could think of.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    So it's almost certainly fake, but all those scrolling layers actually look pretty cool.

16. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Well as awesome as it looks, the level layout doesn't look "SEGA" to me, looks like it's homemade.

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Ok, a friend of mine who studies japanese translated what Naka said to me:

"This is a early in development Sonic 1 version, in which I worked on making the multiple scrolls.I Wonder if the rocks and the palmtrees were in those locations. Where did this ROM come from? Ah, the good old days..."

So, naka doubts about this....

18. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP

Makes sense. I also don't question Naka's response about the rock and palm tree locations. I know it would be hard for me to remember locations of objects from a tech demo made 20+ years ago. Not to mention it has been lost since the early 90's which was when Naka last saw it IIRC.

I also gotta go with Sik on this one. ROM dump will verify if it's legit. A picture of a cart won't prove anything as I can go buy a cheap Genesis game, rip the label off and scribble "Sonic Proto" on it and claim it's legit.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I also just spoke with Kazuyuki Hoshino, He says that Naka thinks its the real deal.

20. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Don't call this as hoax, because no one of us are completely sure of if this is or no in fact a hoax or a real video.