don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    I have to say, that thread was a work of art:)

2. Eli White

Eli White

lol no

this betaa is fake mine is real

you can tell because it
    uses the special stage clouds

[​IMG]

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

:wub:

(Can we just lock this thread now? =P)

4. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Well, this thread is going downhill very fast. :(

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yeah but those could havve evolved from post beta clouds. Well I think we'll have to wait a bit more. This is MMF to me though :V

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Looking at the video, I'd say Worlds Deltas physics are much better than this. Maybe a much earlier version of Worlds though, or some old static engine.

7. 아힝흥행

아힝흥행

Korea/Canada
    A fan movie that is about 10 minute
    It was only matter of time. It looks pretty fake to me though.

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    The description translates to "Technology Demonstration" if I am not mistaken. However the many differences that people have been pointing out (Sonic's ear, the clouds, lack of a sign...etc). I have to say, this is either a fake, or an earlier version of the 1990 Tech Demo. We can all hope, however...

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but keep in mind all we have to compare this to are some low-quality magazine scans.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Besides every other thing pointed out so far:

The magazine scan shows a flat ground, nowhere to be seen in the video. (only small slopes like from the final.)

Also this seems impossible:

[​IMG]

How Sonic is behind the grass, but in front of the bush.

11. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I wouldn't say it is impossible. There are ways to set certain level tiles to either the background or the foreground. Another possibility is that the bush is an object itself, which I believe can also be set behind or in front of Sonic's "layer"

I'll give an example.
    [​IMG]

Shown here in a screenshot of my hack, look at the spring. Notice it is behind the grass, yet in front of the tree. Sure, it's not Sonic... but that should prove it is possible to have an object set up like that.

12. I wonder if that beta photo's actually just a magazine mock-up like Dust Hill was.

Also the fact that he zooms in and stops to focus on things that look like the "beta" are enough to make anyone scream bullshit at this one. That and he tried to reproduce the same look by running on a small, shitty CRT seems like he's begging for attention.

I'd call fake on the principal of it all. I do wish we had something, but this is clearly not it.

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Come on, that's not necessary. So there are some people who have fallen for it. Why does it really matter to you? Some people fall for certain things, while others don't. I'm sure you've fallen for things that others have been like "what?!?".

Look, at the end of the day, it'll come out that this is fake and everyone will conceed to it then. I think the evidence of it being a fake is pretty overwhelming. The biggest evidence isn't in the video at all, but with the YouTube account itself. As I pointed out before, it was created yesterday, and this is the only video up. That should raise a big red flag right there. Everything else that others and myself have pointed out are really icing on the cake.

To an extent, I like hoaxes. They're a creative challenge to see how close someone can get to recreating the real thing and make it believable. What disturbs me about hoaxes is they sometimes live on, never actually being revealed as such, and so you have a few individuals on the internet who genuinely believe they're real. Cyan Helkaraxe's Sonic 1 beta hoax still fools people to this day, even though it was well documented as a hoax. So I'm alright with this for now -- it's fun. But eventually, I'd like whoever created this to speak up and tell the story.

14. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    At this point, I'm now actually more interested in how much long does this debate about this hoax being real or not lives on! :v:

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It would be possible if the bush were an object, yes. Though I would think it would be unlikely they would make the bush into an object.

However, that example you used from your hack is just wrong. Let's take a closer look at the shot with an 8x8 grid applied:

[​IMG]

The only way it is possible in your hack is because your scenery is sitting above the grass. So the grass can be in the high plane, and the tree can easily be in the low plane. This is not possible with the bush in the video because it's in the same 8x8 tiles as the grass. (each 8x8 tile can only be completely in front, or completely behind.)

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sure, but those belong in the "Creative works" subforum...

Posting a hoax like it's the real deal is just trolling.

17. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    The only reason people would say it's real is because in the 'Snowball in Hell' likelihood that it were to be legit they could just go 'LOL CALLED IT!!111'
    I'm no darn expert on game engines but people have been doing this shit for years so nothing new here

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    It is, but I think it's harmless for a day. It's like a prank... no hard feelings meant. Now if it continues longer than that and the guy doesn't want to give in, then that's when I would put the trolling in the bad category, because nobody likes an attention whore.

19. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I actually have a Sonic 1 Beta somewhere. Gimme a minute to make some pics.

20. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    The Sonic 1 Beta Hack doesn't count as having an actual copy.

That is unless you have something that we've never seen.