don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Zoney's importer program was made by Link and it's just a very early test, in fact, I think it just imports diffuse textures.

I think Link just wants to work on it more before releasing it publicly(probably with even GIA maps imported, they're just multiply blending maps on top of the original texture anyway, and with the atlasinfo file info which holds the texture names and coordinates, I think it should be possible to map them into the max materials)

And there's also the issue that maps have to be uv-flipped sometimes, so yay for platform inconsistencies. :v:

EDIT: Alternatively, if you want to research on that yourself, I think they're just stripped model files with references to materials, and another file which handles the instancing of the mesh, since the levels in the Hedgehog engine are pretty much instanced geometry with different positions and rotations all around the place.

2. Portalboat

Portalboat

weeeeeell, the thing is, I know nothing about file formats.

Is the .model format data around here somewhere?

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well someone was going to do it adventually:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_R0bsxk5lA&

Also, an update on the character hacks from ArtFenix:

4. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I started the video expecting to see someone removing the quick-step-only limitation. Am disappoint.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    More from Artfenix:

6. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

So I've been trying to extract the music from the PC version of the game into MP3 files (or some other playable format). I'd just download what was in the OP, except Megaupload was taken down :(.

I've Googled and found a tool called "utf_tab06" to extract the AAX sound files from the CPK archives. This is the point where I'm stuck. I cannot seem to find a way to convert the AAX files into anything else.

Following the process listed in the OP, I Googled and found "CSB Packer 1.0.1," which includes the AAXtoADX tool. When I try to run the tool with a AAX file it always crashes. I've tried different machines (running Windows XP and Windows 7) with the same result. Does anybody know what would cause it to consistently crash? Is there some requirements I'm missing to run the program, or something of the sort?

If I'm successful, I will upload the results for everyone.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    AAX files will play in foobar2000 if you use foo_input_vgmstream - you can then just write them out with the built-in foo_converter plugin.

8. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Eggman in Modern City Escape. It finally happened.

9. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

Thanks for the help! I actually just ended up finding the newer version of the CPK extractor program I was using, then the AAX to ADX and ADX to WAV conversions worked fine for me.

As promised, here are the initial results. They are slightly edited, in order to have a single track for each. The raw files come in two parts, which I am assuming is used for looping in the game. I spliced the raw files together, and trimmed the combined file off to a fitting ending point. I have both of the main pieces for GHZ done, and will probably continue through the rest as time permits. I also put tags in.

Format is MP3, 320 kbps (static bit-rate)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2rinwe44an28mh2 -- Green Hill Zone, Act 1 (classic)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d9929ra71rrkbag -- Green Hill Zone, Act 2 (modern)

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fair enough, but you know we've had full rips of the soundtrack for quite a while, right? =P

I have a question regarding the Robotnik models - though I figure the Modern one comes from the Egg Dragoon fight, where is Classic's used in-game? When he's in the Death Egg Robot you can't see him (he's only revealed in the final boss cutscene), and both that & the final cutscene are both pre-rendered as I understand it, so the models wouldn't be needed. With that and the fact that iirc you can't see the Robotniks in Time Eater during the actual fight, how is Classic's model available? Or am I just wrong about the cutscenes being pre-rendered (I assumed they were due to the lower definition)?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Would have been perfect if he didn't replace the music and didn't transform into Super Sonic near the end.

The cutscene after the credits is in-game. Besides that, you can view him in the collection room.

12. corneliab

corneliab

I don't know what you're talking about. The music made that video.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Eggman in City Escape experience simply isn't complete without Escape from the City. :colbert:

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol

Post-credits cutscene is not prerendered. That's how.

15. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    It's actually the Characters section of the gallery area. They all feature rotatable models of the characters; Sonic, Tails, and Eggman can also be switched to classic models.

16. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I really hope one of them makes Amy and Tails playable in the modern stages.

Although Amy's dress might be a pain.

17. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    New Sonic related Game Music Video
    Hi everyone^_^.
    Here's a new video from Itshelias showing how to character model swap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8S0ktj0Qk&feature=youtu.be
    Links to programs/tools are under the video in the description.

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

Looking over at the exe there seems to be reference to those data paths the XML were talking about, as well as source files(.cpp and .h) of each object. So yes, object definitions and the files they read seem to be hardcoded. :(
    [​IMG]

It's a shame because I was looking forward to adding more pole types/platforms to the china ones, but I guess I'll have to work around their limitations.

EDIT: Man, they sure must've loved recompiling the game every time they added an object. :v:

19. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    This is just a crazy theory, but couldn't it be that hard-coding object-definitions into the executable was done after the debugging phase? Would seem much more convenient, if you ask me. :B

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

I doubt it. Scripting objects that do barely anything but follow paths/cast some animations/translate that could perfectly be handled by LUA, to hardcoding(for a speed up would be the main reason), it doesn't seem like it would be necessary. I just think it's lazy coding from their part.

Funny how everything Hedgehog engine related seems to be so open with files and stuff(considering it was gonna be a licensed engine), hence allowing us to import the whole stage geometry, but anything regarding objects seems to be hardcoded as hell. Even the models and physics files they load! :rolleyes: