don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. The robot machine is in water in TT1 Present, when I checked it, the only bubbles there were coming out of Sonic and they were breaking on contact with the surface.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He must mean the bubble generators, which I've already seen without even time travelling in Tidal Tempest. Those should disappear above water.

3. SSNTails

SSNTails

Oldbie
    Ahh, maybe it was still the past then, I forget. But I was standing on the area where I destroyed the robot machine, and a bubble generator was coming up from underneath the platform, and since the surface of the water is right there, the bubble was hitting Sonic's feet before getting high enough to pop, and despite him being above the surface of the water he was taking a breath. :)

4. Ah. I thought they were literally coming out of the water.

Anywho, screengrab with said bug:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/wk1uzn.jpg

5. hwd45

hwd45

It seems that I get black screen errors a lot when I play Sonic CD on my iPod. Whenever I access visual mode, and quit a video, the screen goes black, but you can still hear the music. The only way I've found to fix it is to restart the app.

I also get the 'Can't access Game Centre' message a lot when I'm offline, even when I'm not trying to access Game Centre. This sometimes gives me black screen errors, too.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Kind of relevant, physics-wise:

There must be something about the physics that makes getting into certain narrow openings in the walls more difficult than it should. There's this hidden passage in Palmtree Panic 1 where a red spring shoots you through some fake ground, where it's very difficult to get into the underground path to the right (something that used to take just a couple of tries).

[​IMG]

Also, it seems that, in this version, Amy can't grab Sonic as long as he's moving even at a slow pace.

This didn't happen in the original version, where she could catch him while he's walking (or get hurt if he's rolling or has a shield).

7. Whackjood

Whackjood

Bug report regarding the leaderboards screen on the Steam version.

[​IMG]

When 11 or more players on your friends list have played Sonic CD, the friends section of the leaderboards begins to visually break.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think I've found a bug with the background scrolling, while exploring Collision Chaos 1 Past:

It looks like some of the clouds that move in the backgrounds might always move at a fixed speed, regardless of the horizontal speed the screen is moving at. All of them should alter their speeds accordingly so it looks like they're part of the background, and not fixed on the screen.

In any case, it might be just an effect of the fast speed they move at.

Also, in some backgrounds (might be only in CC1P), their vertical position, and speed of the background layers seems to have been changed for some reason, which is more noticeable in the scrolling clouds.

This, for example, makes CCZ1P have less speed variety in its clouds (there used to be one slow cloud you could easily outrun), and there's now a small cloud that oddly doesn't move at all.

It also makes certain parts of the level look a bit different (like the very start, which now shows less sky).

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Found a bug with the Pause menu in the 360 version:

-Pause the game.
    -Select "Exit game".
    -Choose "No".
    -The game will return to the game and immediately re-enter the Pause menu.
    -Now choose "Main menu" or "Exit game".
    -Music will resume playing.
    -Additionally, if you chose "Main menu" and select "No", the music will resume playing again from the same place.

Now for the usual nitpicking:
    -I've just noticed that if you're not rolling while stepping on them, you'll get the bounce height from the original version, without having to hold Jump. This is a bit inconsistent.

-If you charge a Super Peelout/Spindash and get pushed out of the platform you were standing in (can be done in the rotating platform with switch at the start of TT1, or any crumbling ledges), they will cancel themselves out when touching the ground instead of launching Sonic in the direction he's facing.

-Sonic's running animation while on PPZ huge loops seems to have a fixed speed, regardless on how fast he was going. It used to go really fast if you did a Super Peelout right before entering them.

-For some reason, Sonic can attempt to jump while inside the PPZ logs, in these openings:
    [​IMG]

-I just got hit by a bomb fireball while the "reverting back to normal size" animation was taking place (MM2), I'm not sure if it was possible to get harmed in this situation, in the original.

-I got squashed while the time travel sparks were active, and they didn't cancel out for the dying animation.

-EDITED OUT. See below.

Regarding the menus and stuff:

-Perhaps it could be made a bit more obvious that you can select the Special Stages in Time Attack mode? Some people might never find out that they were ever selectable from the menu.

-Holding up/down in the menus doesn't make the selection scroll, making them (specially the leaderboards) a bit more annoying to navigate than they should be.

-I would seriously re-add the opening cinema as the first demo, even if it also appears when starting a game (it can be skipped, anyway). Why, you'd ask? It might draw the attention of new costumers when the game's being displayed but can't be played. I know it worked for me back in the day...

10. I've side-by-sided it (2011 on left, SCD via Kega on right). Any difference I could make out is down to filtering (And yes, I did have it set to "nostalgia"):
    [​IMG]

(P.S Cheers, blit, for making getting a clean, non-jpg grab rather irritating. I had to Print Screen a different program with SCD2011 in the background to get it)

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So it's just my TV, then. Thanks for the comparison.

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    I just bought the game :D!... And I'm like 290th in the Palmtree Panic Act 1 leaderboard (Steam version of course) :v: I need to get some practice :3

But this is pretty nostalgic and I'm loving it. Best five dollars ever.

13. Uh, this is the bug thread, not general.

14. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Sigh, Post-release suggestions also accepted according to the topic's title. My suggestions were "Fuck suggestions, this is awesome".

15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Out of interest, may I ask where did the Time Attack tune come from? I don't remember it on the original sega cd versions. It fits the style of the jp soundtrack too perfectly, down to the instruments and warping effects.

16. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    The song is Brand-New World (Arrange: Masafumi Ogata; Vocals: Hitomi Momoi & Takenobu Mitsuyoshi), and it came from Sonic The Hedgehog Remix, an album featuring remixed versions of some Sonic CD tunes.

17. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    jesus, I actually thought that "yeah it's probably just from that remix album", but then dismissed it because I like this track and I didn't like that album.

edit: oh yeah. Now I remember why. The version on that album is not instrumental.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Wrong topic guys. There's a "Sonic CD 2011 general discussion" down there.

If somebody could please move the off-topic posts to that topic, that would be nice. =\

19. The title screen actually plays Sonic Boom after a Game Over. It seems the problem there is that the music settings load after the title screen.

I do wish the Good Future theme would play during the Good Future Metal Sonic race, though.

20. Sonict

Sonict

This is exactly my issue with the game. I'm on an ASUS W3V laptop here and it has a Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card. I can't see how this issue can't be fixed.

I also have a severe issue when I try to beat the game... The video decides to play at 1 FPS and the Sonic CD process eats up all of the CPU at a super high priority and thus takes a long long time to open up task manager to close it. Otherwise, the port is pretty nice for me.