don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Odd thing that happened to me when trying to play the game the first time...

So I was going to play using the keyboard since Windows won't recognize the gamepads I have available to me (which is something else entirely), and so I started normally. Scrolling through the options, I came to find that I couldn't press up after I went down. Confused, I decided to see what would happen if I were to go ahead and just start a game. What Sonic immediately did was run to the left...like I had a gamepad plugged in that wasn't' configured correctly. Thing is, I didn't.

After some fiddling, I came to discover that it was because I had my webcam plugged in. Which of course doesn't make much sense to me. For reference, I have an HP KQ245AA, which for some reason the game decided to register as a gamepad. That had never happened to me before, so...yeah. Not sure if it was just something on my end that is causing the confusion or if it is a legitimate bug, but I figured I should put it here to be recorded for all time.

2. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    ...What. Okay, that definitely warrants an update, that ruins the entire leaderboard system.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    In order to avoid that kind of cheating (as well as hacking the results in any way), I'd suggest the time attack mode to get track of all the times when Sonic gets through the horizontal coordinates for each of the lamp posts (checkpoints), and that it checks if they're in order and make sense before saving them.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why not just remove lamp posts from time trial entirely so if you die you are sent all the way back. At the same time remove the lives counter since it's absolutely useless in time trial.

Oh and add a restart option so you can restart the level your on in the time trial.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    I totally agree with this, Generations pretty much did that. It was easier, plus made you get more practice by retrying the stage like 100 times :v:

6. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    I'm having the exact same issue on my Alienware M11x laptop. Guess I'll have to try disabling my webcam and see if that works.

EDIT: Disabling my webcam did nothing. This is a problem indeed.

7. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Oops, posted on wrong thread! Trash!

Actually, I have two images that present bugs that are not harmful but odd.

Quartz Quadrant Zone 1
    [​IMG]

Stardust Speedway Zone (?)
    [​IMG]

8. SSNTails

SSNTails

Oldbie
    I use a PS2-to-PC adapter to use a PS2 controller, and it works perfectly for just about everything (including Sonic Generations), except for this game. Sonic CD is forcing me to always use the analog stick as the d-pad instead of being able to use the directional buttons when I turn the ANALOG mode off on the controller. Is there a way I can 'hack' Sonic CD to remap the directional buttons to my dpad buttons?

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    use glovepie man.

10. SSNTails

SSNTails

Oldbie
    It actually turns out the old Joy2Key app works just fine. Plus you don't have to convert to Scientology or install a portable nuclear reactor in your home just to find the damn download link. ;)

11. gold lightning

gold lightning

I actually encountered the exact same thing last night and found that my bluetooth adapter was causing the game to bug out. I just disabled it and then re-enabled it and the issue went away.

12. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    So the game is perfectly playable on my PC, but I'm still bothered by hideous scaling errors in some places. It's most noticeable in the pause menu, but also happens with all of the splash screens before the game starts proper as well as the leaderboard screen (in addition to the achievements, which I have captured at the above link). I'm assuming it's a case of outdated graphics hardware or drivers (or both), but it really annoys me because everything else renders perfectly, right down to the pixels! I'm assuming this is an inconsistency introduced by the PC port team, what I want to know is if I can fix it. Since I'm running such outdated hardware I can't reasonably hope for a patch, so I'm hoping I can do something myself.

13. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

Most likely it is indeed related to outdated graphics hardware or drivers, the game works fine in my main PC, but that issue happens in my 5 years old laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, Mobility Radeon X1600 using the Catalyst 10.2/February 2010 drivers).

14. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

So, I was randomly playing PP1, [Steam Ver.] and hit a Horizontal Spring.... and I randomly teleport straight up while in the crouching animation. I wish I took a picture of it but it happened so fast.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

I just got Sonic CD on PS3 and I love it, although I've loved it forever. The special stages are really hard to get used to, since I think the speeds of the UFOs are a tad different, and the game autosaves after I lose a special stage; usually I'd restart the MegaCD and try the entire Zone over again. This adds a layer of difficulty to one-hundred percenting the game, and I'm not quite sure if I like it or not.

Thanks for the great remake though!

16. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    I thought the UFOs were easy. Round 6 and 7 can be a little annoying due to odd placement, but nothing terribly difficult. It is more-so a test of patience for sprites in 3D concerning targeting a set pattern.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

No, I meant that adjusting to the port is slightly hard for me, because I'm used to playing the Sonic CD MegaCD version, which has a slightly different feel. (and the new sprite scaling throws me off). I'll get used to it though.

18. SSNTails

SSNTails

Oldbie
    In Tidal Tempest 1 Past, I hit the Future sign and then did a spindash and jumped, got sucked into the 'tube', warped to the Present, and then ended up stuck inside the tube, bouncing around while in Sonic's 'gliding' pose.

In Tidal Tempest 1 Present, stand right where the robot machine used to be, and wait for a bubble to rise underneath you. Bubbles out of water! :)

19. corneliab

corneliab

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but it would probably be best for the leaderboards to only accept times accomplished through Time Attack. Since you can't gain additional lives there, the lamppost exploit can't happen... right? I'm no programmer though, so there might be a better workaround.

Speaking of the lamppost exploit, this can also be used to get a ridiculous final "overall time" (in the iOS version anyways). I used it on Metallic Madness 2 and when I beat the game after, my overall time was the same as what my time was at MM2 (11 seconds or so). This leads me to believe that the overall time is determined by whatever cumulative time has been attained in a run prior to reaching MM3, which allows it to be exploited though level select. The "overall score" leaderboard can also be exploited in a similar way by grinding points and then skipping to the final stage and clearing it.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Was Sonic actually supposed to be able to warp when inside these? I can't remember that.