don't click here

Sonic 3 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Relick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Falk

Falk

See, you're missing the point just like winterhell did. What you said IS the big difference; it's packaged in. People aren't whining about dependencies. They're whining about having to, at least in the case of the OP/pre-demo release, having to download it. And no, I did not have net 4.0 (2.0, yes) installed. Again, it goes right back to the whole Origin example. Do people want to play BF3 enough to suck it up and put up with Origin? Yeah, obviously as statistics show.

People will bitch about having to start joy2key to have quick-and-dirty controller input. This is no different. And it's all about minimizing the entry barrier when you want to get your project out there.

2. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    You can use SDL+OpenGL+OpenAL or Allegro 5 with C# projects and port that way. C# as a language is cross platform, the frameworks most people use are usually not. Mono offers a C++ to C# bridging system that automatically bridges C++ library APIs into nice C# ones called CXXI. And you can build CXXI to run on .NET Framework instead of Mono. However, Mono does also run on Windows, and you are allowed to bundle individual components of Mono that you need in an installer as opposed to installing a whole runtime environment that someone may not want to have.

You could open source development and have the vast number of C/C++/C# developers on Retro and other communities come pitch in to develop an engine that works very well on multiple platforms. I personally prefer to game on Linux rather than Windows or Mac OS X, so the project in its current state is locked out to me. Again, if it only required C++ (or C#) and Allegro, I could run it on Linux. But the .NET 4.0 Framework and XNA are not portable.

EDIT: I've prepared a complete build of Allegro 5.0.5 using MinGW with all possible features for it enabled. Only DUMB and FLAC are statically linked since dynamic linking for those doesn't come out right on Windows (sometimes I get garbage DLLs because they haven't been updated for newer compilers). Anyway, I've made it available here. It includes DLLs, header files, linker libraries, and API documentation in HTML form. An online version is available, too. This build supports Direct3D 9 and OpenGL (version dependent on graphics driver on Windows).

3. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Go Linux.

If it can runs on Linux, it will run on pretty much everything else (well, maybe not Solaris or BSD or Hurd, mind you).
    Moreover, people will less likely be "tethered to (the previous version of their operating system)" since pretty much every computer, no matter how old or how weird the hardware running it is, can handle any core Linux upgrade.

4. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Not much has been posted about this recently, and to be fair nothing much has been done our side either. We really need more artists, mainly:
    • Background Artist
    • Foreground Artist
    • Animating Artist
    • 3D Modeller + Animator?

If it just looks like I'm advertising, I'm gonna say that it's you guys that want a good looking game, and currently our talent is not up to par to make an awesome game in a reasonable time (As you pointed out yourselves).

5. I saw the pictures and like the art style you have going, so I just had to ask. What is the 3D Modeler for?

6. dsrb

dsrb

To render new graphics as the game might have been made with today's tech, rather than just tracing over everything and applying gradients and shine in pure 2D?

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Feels like one of those bad flash games advertised in the sidebars of filehosts and the like.

Look. It's your project and I encourage you to finish it to whatever standards you feel are suitable. Just be aware of the fact that if this demo is indicative of the standards you have set for yourselves, or are even close to indicative of the standards you've set, they're way below anyone else's. I assure you. They'd rather just upscale Sonic3&K in an emulator than download this bloated thing.

You've got to make this more appealing than 2xSai, fellas. If you can't do that, turn your efforts elsewhere or you're gonna waste you time. There's almost nothing worse than wasted time.

8. Relick

Relick

England
    What dsrb said ;)

9. dsrb

dsrb

Hooray, I'm useful :v:

If my previous post comes across as too snarky (old habits, etc.), I should say that I am interested to see what develops in the future. Whilst I think I'd probably prefer wholly original content to any of the remakes that are in the pipeline, I appreciate the enthusiasm behind them and couldn't really complain if they produced something good!

10. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    That's a pretty bad attitude to have. It should be you that's driven to make a good product, otherwise, why bother making it? You're implying that it's our responsibility to make your game good, because we want to play a quality game? Do you expect us to jump at the chance to help you out with your stunningly creative idea?

I think you've bitten off more than you can chew. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a long game.

11. Relick

Relick

England
    We are motivated, I only said it so the post wasn't removed for advertising. Now lets look at it again, but without that. It just says 'JOIN UP PLOX WE HAVE THESE POSITIONS OPEN'. It might be fine in a different project, but this topic is already risky enough.

I can edit it if it gives you the idea that we are pushing over the responsibility.

Regardless, any criticism regarding the direction of the project, or the project in general I can't actually do anything about because I don't lead the project. If you are super concerned, I guess you could email him but I can't imagine any of you care enough to be bothered.

Anyway, here is a Sonic that may or may not make it:
    [​IMG]
    We fixed the shaping and added contrast. Fire away with the critique.

12. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    It's better than before, but it still seems like you're just approximating shapes based on what you see in the sprites rather than using basic drawing principles to reinterpret the characters at a larger scale. No matter how good the shading, it won't make Sonic look less like an amorphous blob if the shapes and lines constructing him don't work.

Maybe you've tried that and I just can't see it, but the root of biggest concern for me right now is that Sonic's head doesn't look like it was derived from a circle. That might sound silly, but it's like a gauge for positioning (among other things) his top spine, eyes, muzzle, and lighting, all of which look off to me right now.

13. Lambda

Lambda

Well, the patch on his stomach looks mis-placed, and the pupal closest to us is larger than the other one. I understand you're trying to work with perspective and all... but it does look strange. Also... he doesn't seem to have that... "spark of life" in him. It's hard, but when drawing any animated/cartoon/drawn character, they have to be drawn in this one certain way, or else they just look... dead... lifeless... But, that doesn't require big changes. Getting "the spark" is all about the little details.Typically placement of the eyes is a huge part of it.

But, besides those things, and the fact that his head isn't derivived from a circle, I think you guys are headed in the right direction! You certaintly made it look better than I could.

14. Amethyst

Amethyst

The artwork doesn't seem sharp enough for me (a bit blurry) - maybe it's my eyesight on its way out, who knows.
    The animation when you kill a badnik is lame. It just... disappears...

Other than that, a decent start and valiant attempt.

15. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. winterhell

winterhell

this kind of matches my idea that the scenes for the final bosses for Knuckles and Sonic can be in real time 3D (or at least the bosses?) . It would be helpful in making a contrast with the rest of the levels.

17. Felik

Felik

So you just came in here to post some 3D model you made like ages ago and didn't even add anything on the actual subject.
    It almost feels like you just wanted to show off your 3D modeling skills.

18. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I didn't make it ages ago. I just made this yesterday. He said he was looking for 3D modellers. I have something that pertains to this project.

19. Is this changing into the entire game being done in 3D like that? That would probably be the most awesome thing ever!

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That 3D artwork is fantastic (may need work depending on the final art direction) just remember that fantastic physics are just as much as a priority as the graphics.