don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    No no no no... the "shoddy" version was done by another company, and it was a virtualization of the PC version. It was ultimately scrapped for a better alternative.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  3. http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34405316&postcount=46

Someone on NeoGAF put up the proper Jap/Eur intro file for those interested.

4. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    Thank you. I was trying to fix this up earlier but I just couldn't get it to work, so I'm glad someone's managed to do it! :)

5. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    Is it just me, or are the up and left arrow keys on the PC version broken? I can't get them to work. This is the only program I have this issue in. And it kind of prevents me from playing this game how I want, reminds me of old school Mario this way.

EDIT: By the way, I did try to unplug my webcam, didn't help.

6. <anon>

<anon>

Oldbie
    Curious, has this been talked about before or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoLgy6Z0Y4A&t=1m20s

At 1:20 the song has a new sample to make it a full loop, but what song is that sampled from? The same as the earlier sample where Bob Marley talks about a selecta or whatever (no idea what specific song that's from either) or something else?

Still pretty afraid to do videos of this game thanks to copyright, considering people (myself included) have been nailed for even just two seconds of copyrighted audio on videos before, so...

7. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    So, I'd like to run the game in 640x480 using the nearest filter, but even with "nostalgia" selected, I'm still getting interpolation. How do I fix this?

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I was the fastest thing alive on Stardust Speedway Zone 3...

[​IMG]

...until I was overthrown by someone faster.

[​IMG]

But on the plus side, I just became king of the world on Tidal Tempest Zone 1!

[​IMG]

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    As far as I can remember Taxman took those from the 510 Beta and added them in to make full loops.

10. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    Well, after unlocking everything I was pleasantly surprised that my Collision Chaos Act 2 record got me the #8 spot on the leader boards. I like it better now that I have it on PC, but the special stages still suck.

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

Images don't work, but I was the fastest on Stardust Speedway 3 for a while too, might have been me.

[​IMG]

Was also the fastest on Wacky Workbench 1 for a bit.

[​IMG]

12. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Those were Twitter images that I hosted them from. I fixed them now.

13. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I woke up today to find I was gifted a copy of Sonic CD for Steam. Awwww yeah. Gonna be playing the shit out of this for the foreseeable future.

14. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    [​IMG]

:ssh:

15. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    So is the Steam port ultimately a nay or yay? The only major advantage I see it having over the console versions is that you can replace the opening video so You Can Do Anything has lyrics again, but the blurriness people are describing seems to be kinda bad.

16. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    I only noticed blurring using the Sharp or Smooth filters. Nostalgia renders everything pixel perfect for me. Besides, graphics filters are for suckers. :colbert:

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    If it saves someone the trouble of trying, the data files cause the 2008 versions of the Retro Engine to crash. (Tested on both the last Retro Sonic demo and the Sonic Nexus demo for Mac OS X) On the other hand, it was interesting to see that the file structure hasn't changed much since those games. I was mostly just curious to see if we could have an unofficial Mac version by shoving the files into an older version of the engine, and since the Mac OS X versions of those games were the last ones released I figured they were the best to test with. Oh well.

(And no, I didn't repack Data.rsdk into a decrypted Data.bin file. I ran the games from command line, where they will read from an unpacked Data folder if it's there)

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Believe it or not, the Retro-Engine is actually a completely different engine to the Retro-Sonic 2007 demo. The Nexus 2008 demo was the first to use what eventuated into the Retro-Engine, but it's far too old for it to be compatible with the Sonic CD files.

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Taxman, how do I fix things still getting filtered in 640x480 on the Steam version? (Prefer to use this resolution over others, I use a CRT, lower resolutions don't look bad)

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I don't think there is way to force bi-linear filtering off on video card settings (usually it's just AA and AF stuff). I passed the issue on to the Steam dev team last week so it's known.

Your best bet currently would be to run the game at a higher res like 1024x768. It should lessen the blur. Bi-linear filtering should really only be used when the destination resolution isn't a multiple of 480p (1x 2x 3x 4x etc).