don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Deef

Deef

The grey is my least favourite. I like the gold or the colour-changing idea. The problem with the colour-changing idea though is that it would be meaningless and leave the player wondering what it does and why it changed, since it has no functionality once they switch to Tails or Knuckles.

If it changed colour and changed its passive abilities when you switched characters, then it would make sense (and be kinda neat). If only Sonic 2 provided enough for the shield passive abilities to do. Well, just running with this idea, what if:
    · For Sonic, it's a normal shield with the homing attack. No passive protection, not even projectiles. Just one hit of safety and the homing move.
    · For Tails, it's a normal shield with the ring attraction effect. Again just 1 hit of safety, and the ring attraction turns on for all characters if Tails is player 1.
    · For Knuckles, it's a fire shield with fire protection and projectile protection.

Just an idea that makes a colour changing shield fun and meaningful.

Otherwise my vote is the gold one heh.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd go for the blue one since, well, the standard shield is supposed to be blue.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I always thought the gray shield was just plain ugly, and people already know what blue means. I'd say just stick with that.

4. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    I was hoping for a green option considering the modern day sheilds are green. I'd say Grey, then.

5. Deef

Deef

But it's not a standard shield. The only homing shield we've ever seen is gold.

6. dsrb

dsrb

I like grey.

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I like gray.

Wouldn't mind seeing green or a different shield style altogether; never was fond of S2's shield.

8. dsrb

dsrb

Wait!
    Team S? Is that you????

Also, this—
    —is an idea. Since the shield's function has been altered, a change in its appearance isn't unjustifiable. S1’s shield is a bit too basic with its rather ugly simple dithering, but S2’s is a bit too flashy and obnoxious, now that I think about it properly. So I'd be interested in some different concepts (even if it's just a what-if), if you can be bothered. :D

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry, I was at work and didn't notice the "homing" bit.

In that case I'd go with gold. Grey would be confusing since it's already been used for a non-homing shield.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Derp, I forgot that the shield enables homing attacks. Definitely gold then.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Jeez a Sonic 2 shield is just a shield I don't see why anyone would get confused of it's function by it's colour. It's not as if people got confuse between Sonic 1 shield compared to the Sonic 2 one with it's drastically different look.

Ya know what. I'm gonna vote purple because I want to confuse you all.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I have no issue with color confusion.

I like the original blue shield the best... BUT for the sake of making it easier to implement, the gray shield is the most efficient choice.

I simply want a shield that looks less obnoxious than the Sonic 2 Shield... the flashing circle design annoyed the shit outta me...

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Well, if anyone does come up with a better shield design, I am all for it; but I have nothing intrinsically against the S2 shield (or I would have removed it completely instead of adding a new ability and keeping it alongside elemental shields...).

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I think that if you could simply give it a smoother looking animation and make it semi-transparent, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Nothing against the design itself, but its solid in opacity, and the animation is annoying. IMO that's all you really need, aside from making it gray for color palette efficiency... I'm for the normal shield having the Homing attack. I think its a creative way to have the Homing attack implemented.

15. Miles3298

Miles3298

I personally like the S2 shield graphic - when playing on a TV, it's as if it was transparent. On an emulator with framerate issues, it looks like crap, though - but not other than that. I vote blue, or grey if blue's not a good choice.

16. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    A question: I am programming in teams support, and super and hyper transformations, when it hit me -- should I somehow differentiate (by name) the emeralds from S1 from those of S2? I mean: calling one set the 'chaos emeralds', while the other becomes the 'super emeralds' or the 'time stones' or the 'sol emeralds' or something else.

17. dsrb

dsrb

If the sets are going to be interchangeable for enabling Super forms, it doesn't make much sense to retcon them to some unrelated/new role. I'd say just leave them as Chaos Emeralds. The original games never explained why they looked different, exactly how many Emeralds/sets there actually are, etc. - so why should you?

Edit: The interchangeability factors in, but IMHO adding different nomenclature is unnecessary and undesirable in any case.

18. Derf

Derf

*Insert witty member title here* Member
    Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Or "Chaos Gems" for the Sonic 1 emeralds?

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I know this is pretty far-fetched, but [If you want a "just because" explanation here] what if the Chaos Emeralds somehow act like muscles: Since they're possibly connected to the "Earth", the more you use their power, the more their shape reflects how they were in their original form - which would explain their gradual change of appearance to make them look more emerald-like than from the beginning

Especially perhaps because they've [the Emeralds] been separated from each other for so long that they've lost their cohesive shape. So when Sonic collects them and uses their power, the Emeralds themselves transform... but then my theory goes a bit awry when they go back into the Special Zone :/

20. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    I never really thought they changed shape, I always assumed you were seeing them from the top in Sonic 1 and then from the side in the games afterwards.

I don't mind what you call them to be honest.