don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Well as I said, with regards to the Wii release, if they were looking to release it on the Wii U, it would have to be a launch title. As my post has already been trashed, I'm having to repeat it. Despite being a one-liner, it was a genuine effort to start more conversation.

What I was implying is that perhaps this means that we shouldn't expect to see this game until later in to next year. If it's released for the Wii U, it's likely going to be at the same time as the other console versions, and the Wii U is expected to be released sometime between June and December 2012.

In point, I can't imagine getting too much more information other than concept art for at least the next few months, and we only really knew a lot about Episode I because it was released months before illegally. If anything about the Sonic dev cycle has taught us, it's that Sonic games take a MINIMUM of 4 or 5 months or so from showing to release.

I'd like to think that Ep II could easily fit on the Wii, but looking at it, Sonic 4 on the Wii would have had to have been 40 MB (or whatever the limit is), whereas to compare, the iOS version was 198 MB. That's a lot of compression for the Wii version. IF and how they'll do this if a Wii version is announced I don't know.

2. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    New graphics engine, huh?

The game's gonna look exactly the same, but the models are gonna be shaded differently.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I believe them. Y'know, I'm sure SEGA look at us quite closely for feedback- what other sites with members who can actually type coherently have they got? From the way they've been lately, if they're gonna say something, it's gonna be partially aimed at us, and if we're not pleased, I think they'll only continue to try. Saying they've got a new graphics engine is a bold statement to make to a bunch of geeks. We'll know.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I have a feeling that those "New physics engine" and "New graphics engine" claims are going to end up being the new "Built from the ground up"...

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    My dream is HD sprites. But I'll settle for Sonic's model being un-cell-shaded like the iPad version and more effort put into environments. If they're going to stick with Sonic's 3D models, I would prefer them make the environments 3D as well.

6. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    If the physics are at least closer to Generations 3DS, then it'll be ok. Stupid teaser is stupid, though. I actually am falling into the hype train, sad to admit. Probably just due to Tails.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Can't say I have high hopes, but at least they addressed the issues with Episode 1. I really would have preferred content in the trailer though.
    It's good to hear that uncurling will be fixed.

8. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Really confused when I saw it wasn't coming to the Wii, but it really doesn't matter. I bought the first for my iPod, and would buy this the same way even if I could get it on the Wii.
    Playing Episode I, I have a few things that need to be improved:
    -Physics. Yes, everyone's said this, and they aren't horrible, it's just confusing to have no midair momentum.
    -Originality. Everything in Episode I was a rehash. EVERYTHING.
    -Better stages. I want nothing like Lost Labyrinth Zone or the boss rush. I hate them both.
    -Longer. Episode I was short. Saying this, it makes me realize I still haven't beaten Episode I. I just can't beat the final boss.

But hey, Tails. Hope I can beat the game without too much of a hassle as just Sonic.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yup. Not to say the graphics or physics will be bad, but they'll be tweaks to what's already in use in E1.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Well they kinda have confirmed all of this already- it will have more faithful physics, it will have more originality, it will have different stages and well, Sonic 4 was the length of Sonic 3, so I can't really complain. Tails being in the game is bound to give it replayability, considering you'll also have leaderboards to contend with too.

Yeah, the lack of Wii is odd. I'm waiting to get official confirmation of this though, not just another stupid reveal. They should just be up front about these things, instead of stringing us poor bastards along. I can get it on iOS, but I would prefer to have it on my nice TV to play. Sonic 4 looked pretty decent, whereas the iOS version was less pleasing on the eye, especially Sonic's model.

[​IMG]

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not getting my hopes up, but I wonder if Episode 2 may actually have modeled levels, ala Generations 3DS. "New graphics engine" could end up implying that, but it's an idea I doubt more than anything.

I guess the statements Ken made about not standing on walls and not uncurling guarantee that it's using the same improvements given in Gens3DS. Hopefully they keep improving it from there as well.

12. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    While the first Sonic 4 wasn't as big a problem for me as it was for others, on the flip side they raised the bar for themselves with Generations.

Needless to say, I'm not getting this game unless it conclusively shows it can at the very least match Generations. Otherwise I have better uses of my time than being disappointed yet again.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Y'know what? I'm gonna be the optimist here. I'm gonna say they really have listened well, and this game will at the very least HANDLE either like Classic Sonic in Generations 3DS. I mean, assuming it's being made by DIMPS again, there's no good reason for it not to, right?

I'm also gonna agree with what someone said a few pages back and theorize that the reason they're not showing us anything right off is because they want to save the big reveal that classic Sonic is back again for February 2.

Wild speculation here, but if this is still three episodes, I think it would be cool to have episode 1 be modern's outing, then tie it into Sonic CD through some kind of use of a PAST signpost and have episode 2 be classic. Episode 3 could feature them both, maybe?

The point is, while I'm not NEARLY as excited for what this could mean as I was when Sonic 4 was originally announced, I'm still gonna take Coco's advice and Not Be Cynical. Sega's improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years, taking the series in a cavalcade of Right Directions. I look for this to be another.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Sega has at least earned us giving them the benefit of the doubt. It was Sonic 4 that kicked off the resurgence of quality that was Colors, Generations, All-Stars, Sonic CD re-issue etc. I'll stay optimistic about this.

However, I remain cautiously wary. Particularly because they can claim improved physics as much as they want; but if they don't make it less automated then we're still left where we were before. I don't want to see ANY speed-boosters unless it directly has to do with the theme of the zone, ala Sky Canyon in Sonic Advance 2 with the fans, which added at least a different element to the concept. No more copy paste Chemical Plant style boosters everywhere like Ep. 1.

15. Nova

Nova

Aside from the improved graphics and physics, I'm also just hoping for something that's not a retread of old levels we've played a million times over. I wouldn't mind if they'd fit them to certain tropes but Episode 1 seemed to be certain levels of Sonic 1 and 2 in HD.

I also liked how Ken emphasized 'physics engine' when speaking in that interview. Like, they recognized it was a major problem, in my mind. I'm cautiously optimistic about this, for now.

16. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    They already mentioned that the second game will have new zones. The first game was supposed to reintroduce people to older, familiar themes.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Except no it wasn't. Sure, they each had twelve acts, but the acts in Sonic 3 were generally MUCH longer. Not to mention, Sonic 3 had thirteen bosses, and Sonic 4 Ep1 only had five, plus the first four repeated.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    They only mentioned "new zones" when we collectively called out for their blatant, lazy rehashing. If enough of us said nothing, we'd be seeing more rehashed zones now for episode 2. For them to pretend it was always their intention to create new zones just makes them a bunch of lying, arse covering fuckwits.

Anyway, yeah... Episode 2. Cautiously optimistic for the news of the new physics engine, but then again I wonder if they have learned their lesson. Who the fuck wants to see a trailer in the exact style of the ones that reminds them of what a crushing disappointment and complete scam Episode 1 was? God I hate that cunting music they use in Sonic 4 trailers!

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    My thought is that Dimps tends to be lazy. I think we'll see new physics, but only because Sonic Generations 3DS already had them.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ken's moustache was ridiculous. A+ for effort, but dude... you looked like a pillock. =P

While "new graphics engine" could mean absolutely anything (from a new lighting engine all the way to just redrawing sprites), I'm really hoping "new physics engine" means they're using the one from Generations 3DS - there is zero excuse, Dimps made the damn thing and so have all the code already! One interesting omission - no mention about music at all, but after Sega producing material like this and this for Generations, they really have no excuse any more for not being able to produce decent tunes with a classic instrument vibe.