don't click here

Sonic 3 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Relick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    [​IMG]
    A full remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, in HD​

Screenshots
    As we have decided to rehaul most of the artwork, there are currently no screenshots.

Downloads
    Remember, before you download, you MUST have a DirectX 9 compatible video card and have installed XNA 4.0 redist and .net 4.0 framework. You can get those two here:
    .net 4.0 framework
    XNA 4.0 redist

Sonic 3 HD Pre-Demo v0.1 (old - is not representative of the game):
    Direct Download
    Mirror 1 (MediaFire)
    Mirror 2 (Sonic Retro)?

Information
    We're a small team, and always looking for contributors. If you think you have something worth sharing, please go to www.sonic3hd.com and share it :D
    Also, we are aware of the majority of bugs, art issues and problems with the game so unless it's something really obscure that you think no-one has found before please don't post it.
    Yes, we are going to redo a lot of the art, so don't complain about a single blob on the terrain being the wrong colour.

Thanks, from everyone at the Sonic 3 HD team, and we hope you all enjoy it.

2. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Holy crap, that looks awesome! Downloading now, will add my thoughts after I try it out. Damn, I love Retro!

EDIT: Yeah, that's looking pretty awesome so far! I'm sure you know the physics aren't all that great just yet, but for no longer than you've been working on it, this is really impressive stuff. I daresay it sometimes feels more like a Sonic game that Sonic 4, haha. Keep at it, guys!

3. winterhell

winterhell

Please don't be too harsh on the bugs, the game(engine) is less than 3 months old :)

4. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Now downloading.

Must say after a quick playthrough. I do like the demo, the idea of it etc. Apart from the things that need to be ironed out. As long as you stick with the project and not let it disappear into obscurity.

Isn't that slightly unfair? It's like if I (god forbid) created a game or mod or hack or whatever and I tell everyone "I know it's bad but don't remind me of how bad it is, Tell me how great it is instead"

That's my two cents. All in all it's (the game) not bad so far.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Just gave it another play-through. I'm really impressed with how well so much has been implemented, like the animations on the mushrooms. I was also surprised that I could climb up and find a functioning bubble shield, though sadly invincibility isn't in yet. And yeah, that is some DAMN impressive stuff if you've only been working on the engine for three months. ^_^ Being able to leap up through platforms is pretty funny, too.

More than anything, it looks freakin' beautiful.

6. Relick

Relick

England
    We aren't forbidding it, just we'd rather have 2 pages of discussion instead of 4 pages of the same blatantly obvious bug being pointed out. I've seen it before and it really becomes hard to find actual discussion about the game amongst all the 'TEH L00PS AR3NT WORKIN!' (for example) posts.

We welcome negative criticism, it'll help us improve. We'll also welcome positive criticism :v:. Take your pick ;)

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Would someone be so kind as to make a video of this in motion if possible, I get the strongest feeling I won't be able to try this out for the next decade.

So far it looks ok to me, the graphics do seem a little unrealistic in my opinion, but having not worked with HD graphics myself, I guess I'm in no position to complain, congratulations on creating what you have so far though, it's a real pleasure to see someone actually "making" something instead of "talking about how good it would be to make" something =)

8. Relick

Relick

England
    Of course. As soon as we have pre-demo 2 out I'll put a video up on youtube.

As for the requirements, unfortunately that's the best we could do. We did at one point have a GameMaker engine, however that was severely incomplete and was limited. Winterhell's XNA engine was the only other one we were offered.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, this is horrendous. The graphics are awful, verbatim retraces with gradients applied, the game engine handles horribly, the music is sub-par and I needed to install some ridiculous framework just to get the thing to load, take over my whole screen and then cause me issues when I tried to exit the game. It's an insult to the original game and an insult to the project that it's blatantly trying to leech off the popularity of.

I thought this project was ridiculous, pretentious and talentless when I first saw people trying to get validated with it as a "free pass" and it hasn't gotten any better since then. You have no direction or solid talent backing your game; it feels like you rushed this demo out just so you could post it here and try and recruit more staff despite having no standalone merit whatsoever. I've half a mind to just trash the thread outright, frankly, but I want to see what other people think first before I do anything. Needless to say, though, I'm not impressed. You guys are lame.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Awesome, thanks very much!

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Will this support other aspect ratios? This deservers proper widescreen support. :v:

EDIT: Watch the other posts follow Tweaker's opinion now.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, okay. I guess you're a cunt then.

13. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Graphics and Physics aside, I believe this definitely has potential to be a good HD Remake. Just gotta put more effort into it and don't give up, is all I gotta say. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
    Now we just need Sonic 1 HD....or not. I'm joking. We don't. XP

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Didn't say it was a bad opinion. :(

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I can't get it to run and my anti-virus says it's got a Trojan called bancos.santander. Probably a False-positive, but just letting you guys know.

But what I can see from those screenshots is... well, all I can really say about the graphics is that they're graphics, and not much else. They don't have Sonic 3K's unique art style and charm.

16. dsrb

dsrb

Well, since someone else has started it!

(I can't play this due to not having the right OS, but:) I've never seen the point of S2HD as it stands, and I don't see the point of this as an imitation thereof. What is so thrilling about playing the same game with graphics upscaled in Flash (with Shininess set to Kill)? I could get almost as good results using 2xSAI in an emulator, and I don't even care about that.

Say what you want about Generations—actually, Sonic Fan Remix is more appropriate in this subforum—they went HD the right way, by reimagining the Zones as they might have looked if they were made for the first time with current technology, not just by tracing and upscaling all of the old stuff and then spraying it with grease.

17. Falk

Falk

(disclaimer that I most of this post typed before I read more than the OP)

I'll have to agree, what set S3&K apart graphically from the other games was that its art really was very, very contrast-driven. Having everything just gradiented over somehow makes it lose the feel.

I really don't want to be wrestling with xna, and nothing in the screenshots really compel me to. Gonna second the call for seeing this in motion with sound/music.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not going to install all that garbage on this computer (I mean really, do we really need the XNA framework?), however

if those are screenshots of the game. I.e. the correct size, no filters, no editing - I'm not seeing the "high definition" part.
    [​IMG]
    that's how the game looks through Kega's CVBS filter.
    [​IMG]
    your interpretation

the badnik seems to have lost some of its "definition", as have the tree trunks. And there's far more repetition in the backgrounds.

I don't think it's a god-awful idea but it certainly looks rushed. I would imagine a huge amount of work was put in to get it this far, but there's a reason high definition remakes are few and far between.

19. Relick

Relick

England
    That's not the actual size of screenshots. I couldn't take the picture at 1920x1200, because it's full screen (and print screen hates full screen). Also photobucket resized it. I'll see if I can get non-resized pictures.

And yes, we do need XNA unless you have an engine you'd like to share with us?

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

Seeing it was XNA I considered it would have proper XInput support.

Oh look it does! That's nice, but if you could support the D-Pad as well(because playing this game with a thumbstick just feels wrong), that would be even better. Not all the XInput controllers have horrendous D-Pads like the ones that released with the Xbox at first. ;)

As for the ones who don't have XNA 4.0, if you ever installed Terraria, you already do.