don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Wrong; Taxman added that in from the "Sonic Boom" CD. Earlier releases didn't have those chords.

2. Rokkan

Rokkan

Another tip to you: There are lots of "safe places" to time warp in stages. Most of them involve bouncing back and forth on a couple of springs (Collision Chaos, Tidal Tempest), or going through tunnels (Palmtree Panic, Wacky Workbench), or just flying through the stage with a lot of speed (Palmtree Panic, Stardust Speedway). In Quartz Quadrant, vertical conveyor belts, when set their orientation to upwards, were a really easy way to time travel, but apparently Taxman removed that on this version?

Knowing your levels really is the key for easy time travelling.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Number. Fucking. One. Quartz Quadrant Zone's Boss. GothamR, 57.18.

I know it'll be beat, but I don't care right now. Fuck yes, this feels good.

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    PSN:STHX

Should we make a topic for speedruns and to list the various XBLA/PSN/Steam usernames like the Generations one?

5. nesboy43

nesboy43

Thank you very much for the information, I thought I was doing terrible in Metallic Madness when trying to locate those projectors. Didn't know that you can restart special stages that way, good to know. Are things in the game still unlocked if using tails? I heard someone say trophies are disabled but am not sure about unlockables.

Thanks for the information, I remember time travel being way easier in my Windows version of the game. It seems that areas in this game that should send you through time don't anymore because maybe it takes a second or so longer to warp. I noticed that about the conveyor belts too, also I recall those spinners in Palmtree Panic letting you warp in the older versions.

6. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    Yeah, when I can be arsed.

7. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Is anybody working on a .logg dump of the music? I need it so very badly :(

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    sonicblur said he'd be doing rips sometime after the holidays.

The problem is, nobody's really familiar with the new container format that Taxman used. And if the OGGs that sonicblur already posted are any indication, we'll need to manually re-add the loop point info (or he just ripped them wrong, who knows).

On a related note, do all versions necessarily use Vorbis for audio? It'd be really nice if the Steam version used a lossless format of some sort, if that's feasible with the size/engine limitations being worked with.

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Finally got this for android and it runs so smoothly. Downloading was also hassle free. I turned off the screen time out, plugged the phone in and left it for while. When I returned SCD was ready to play. I'm more excited than ever for the steam release. Great job Taxman.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    My bad, you're right.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Gotta say, I'm really disappointed that it looks like this won't come out for Steam before Christmas :(

12. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I was looking forward to reviewing this game for my college newspaper before the semester ended last week, but that desire bit the dust. Hopefully we'll see Sonic CD on Steam before the year's end, I'm expecting to finish building my new Athlon II-powered PC today and I'd love to try Sonic CD on it when it finally comes out!

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Why on earth is the Steam version taking so long? I've already got the iOS to tide me over, but damnit, I want to play it on my 21" CRT monitor with my keyboard! D:

14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    For my Android thing, downloading it has been an epic-multi-hour adventure. Sloooowwwwww. I'll see if I can play it if it ever finishes downloading...

15. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Managed to get a go of this on my brother's tablet earlier.

holy fuck the special stages ahahah

Very fun, the controls are a bit finicky, but I'd much rather be playing on Steam.

...what the fuck is taking it so long?

16. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Two words: Holiday discounts. Releasing CD now would likely cause it to be lost in the midst of all the other discounted games that's out right now.

17. Tanks

Tanks

So, it just dawned on me... Desert Dazzle's smaller cactus was from Taxman's old game... Can't remember the name, I think he used it in a Dust Hill remake. I remember how well the Dust Hill sprites were cleaned up in general. I went through some of my old CDs looking if I still had the sprites lying around, but I guess I lost it. Nice to see you tried to throw in some old ideas into this Taxman.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    They were in Retro Sonic, in one of the earliest releases.

[​IMG]

Actually, one of the more surreal bits about this remake was that, since I grew up with the US soundtrack, I associated Quartz Quadrant's BGM more with that build of Taxman's game than Sonic CD itself.

EDIT: Eagh, forgot they were BMP files, so Photobucket .jpeg'd the hell out of them.

19. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    I'll just leave this here. One RSDK unpacker with source. I make no apologies for the sloppy coding.
    rsdkunpacker
    Source

I'm not sure whether this is kosher. If anyone has any objections to this I'll remove it immediately.
    Merry Christmas!

20. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Amazing. You saved me the trouble of finishing mine. I finished the method you're calling decryptFile() on Wednesday, and was working on the one I was calling FindFile() (sub_29918 in the ARM6 iOS version) that takes in the path on r0. But I was doing mine in C#. If anyone wants that, I guess I could post it. I wasn't actually planning on releasing source though, because someone could use it to repack a file and potentially wreck the leaderboards. Which version did you work from to do this?

Edit: Here is a Mac OS X build of Glitch's code, for anyone else besides me who would have wanted one:
    rsdkunpaker_Mac
    Still command line and only tested on 10.7, but should work all the way back to 10.4. Had to make a few small changes, but they are obvious ones. (Calling the correct version of mkdir, flipping the directory separator forwards to '/')