don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    First off, B)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Second off, my bro was playing Titanic Tower, accidentally got hit by one of the black crushers, and teleported straight up. I'm trying to decide whether or not it was intentional on your part, because it played a sound effect.

2. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    that was a glitch that I wasn't able to fix, so I did placed a X sign on the top but... I don't remember placing any sound effects

3. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    So uh...I really want to play this. However in my current situation there is no way for me to play it since I don't have Windows anymore currently. Is there a Mac port that can be done?

And when I say Mac, I mean the PowerPC kind.

4. Falk

Falk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvtUbNho_4

I'll just leave this here. Merry Christmas.

edit: derp, forums whyyyyyyyyy :(

5. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Merry Christmas for you guys too

@GT Koopa
    sorry, but Multimedia Fusion is PC only
    it's impossible to make a mac version.
    I don't know anything about mac btw

haha, nice, it doesn't looks empty
    awesome job, falk

and yeah, falk is composing music for the game

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    The music for that purple mountain stage is amazing, btw. That sort of jazzy flair works really well with Sonic, somehow.

7. Falk

Falk

Cat's out of the bag!

I've been talking with LakeFeperd for some time about this now. We're* going to create an OST for the game basically, for everything from (remixed-per-act) stage music, to stage clear/invincibility jingles, to menu/splash screen, to cutscenes.

Originally I wanted to go completely retro with basically just Genesis VSTs, but the Rotatatron music for that particular homage boss worked so well. It didn't feel like the 'modern' sound clashed with the 'retro' visuals at all. Which I guess shouldn't be surprising, since Sonic CD worked.

This will keep quite a healthy dose of Sonic styling and influence, but just as the game has homages to other franchises here and there (Ryunik dohoho) the OST is going to sound different from anything within the retro era. If you like Sonic music and VGM in general though, I guarantee (... well, at least, I -hope-) you'll like what we're planning. ;p

*By "we" I mean I've got a couple of other people helping out too, so this isn't a one-man job.

p.s. Rocky Ride's inspiration was basically... "Rock" being in the zone name, as well as purple being a combination of red (which I've always associated with rock) and blue, which is... well... 12 bar blues. :v:

Also, since the various musical cameos in Generations seemed to be well-received, expect quite a few of those. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8MtTd4TKA

8. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Consider me excited! You've demonstrated your prowess in making music a long time ago so I'm confident you and the other people involved will give this great game the soundtrack it deserves.

9. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Just asking, but are there supposed to be "S" Monitors within the levels? I just figured this being a sequel meant no Super Form. Thing is, I remember playing one of the Acts of that water level (Forgot name, sorry), and I jumped and hit a monitor (that I think was hidden), then turned Super Sonic for a bit. I just found that weird, but tried to take advantage of it by bypassing the spikes and what-not. And if that's supposed to be a secret, I'm sorry and I'll edit this.

10. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Jay T.
    it's just an easter egg, don't worry about editing it
    there are some super monitors hidden in some sonic stages
    you just got to look up in the sky in the certain spot to see an S :P

@Falk
    so, tell me who are they so I can already add them to the credts list
    I kinda... don't remember D:

11. So, if you're going to re-release this with a new soundtrack, would you fix the little issues that some people have commented on, like letting the player have control for at least a couple seconds after hitting the signpost at the end of a level? To be honest, that is probably the only real complaint I've had with the game. I didn't mind the soundtrack, but I'll still probably re-download this with the new one.

Okay, and I lied. I do have a different complaint. I managed to get all the way to the Death Egg, but when I started that level, I got hit with an insane amount of slowdown, to where I couldn't really play it. It was like a 2-D version of Sonic Labyrinth, but slower. Is that just my computer, or is the last set of levels that resource-heavy?

Other than that, I've loved the entire game from start to finish. (or at least up until Death Egg, obviously) The levels were pretty good, if not a little oddly long. Well, maybe "long" is the wrong word, but many levels have multiple stretches where nothing happens and it's just a straightforward run on some bumpy ground, and it gives a feeling that the level's about to end. However, once you get into your mind to look for the signpost, you suddenly start another stretch of the level. That was probably my problem with the signposts and the bonus stages. If you don't want to change the behavior after hitting the signpost, maybe you could put a sign up shortly before it to say that the end of the level is coming up, like Sonic CD did.

Also, what made you decide to give eyes to all of Robotnik's ships? They were fun bosses, and I enjoyed nearly every single one, but I always ended up wondering why they had eyes when they didn't in every other Sonic game.

12. Falk

Falk

13. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Kharen

yup, it will be re-released, but this will take a while, I mean, there is a lot of music so I decided to give falk and the guys working with him a long time and the plan is to release it by SAGE 2012
    and, yes, I'll fix those things I'm also going to add a time points counter in the transition of every frame or in the score count screen

and the eyes? well....
    [​IMG]

@Falk
    oh god, I actually only get that to happen by accident

14. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Nice! Very nice!

15. Falk

Falk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmf5EsGfFWs

I won't be posting -everything-, but here's a taste of something more akin to Sonic CD JP.

It's probably a little risky doing something more ambient/loop-ish vs something extremely memorable/whistle-able for the first act in a game (I.e. GHZ/EHZ/etc), but I thought it fit the mood.

Also sup Sky Sanctuary reference. :V

edit: Wow, youtube raped this one hardcore for some reason. http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/rivulets-for-hilltop-heights for non-butchered audio.

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Downloaded this with the intent to play the fuck out of it. Not playing the fuck out of it; where's my controller support? Yeah, I know joy2key and all that; I'd rather not have to fart around loading up one program just so I can play another or whatever.

However, I played as far as Tails' first boss. Don't know about this, it's fiddly. Kinda like the levels, but both bosses so far have been less fun than I'd like. Is it worth tolerating further?

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    First two bosses are a little awkward, but it definitely gets a lot better. And the bosses definitely take a little getting used to. Also, "no controller support" is a terrible reason to pass this one up.

18. Falk

Falk

Ctrl-Y

:V

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Not if I happen to be dyspraxic (which I do) and suffering greatly from my left and right hands' usual roles being reversed. This is like trying to write an essay with your non-dominant hand and/or feet.

EDIT
    Falk, I shall try that. Why is this not on the instruction image? :3

20. Falk

Falk

Seems to be more of an MMF thing (or maybe a Sonic Worlds thing) than a specific fangame. I only knew of the shortcut (along with F8 enabling menu bar in the window) from playing other fangames.

"Press Start" still requires pressing enter, but other than the title screen I played the game from start to end on an X360 gamepad. I'm assuming anything detected as a joystick by windows would work since MMF isn't exactly pushing the edge of technology and thus going to be affected by the whole retarded Xinput vs DirectInput travesty.