don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Alright, beaten (on stream, too).

Honestly, I really enjoyed this. It was very solidly done and it had alot of cool moments. I love the way your environment in most stages chance as you progress and the music change in the desert/winter level was fantastic! Your Death Egg scenery was also very well done, I love how the S2 death egg tiles become the death egg in construction while the S3&K death egg is the main level.

The things I did have issue with are.. Well, I don't know. There are sections of art that come off as very bland and flat compared to the environment surrounding it. It's especially noticeable in the second and third levels. Also the rock levels. The music, while good, doesn't fit or have a sonic feel to it and the ones that do still don't fit.

The brighter special stages hurt my eyes. The darker colored ones were fine, but the brighter the color combined with everything moving really caused me to strain. They're simple, though. If you had gone for emerald collecting, I would have loved to see what else you can do with it. Very cool, regardless.

The dome level with the water sections was probably my least favorite zone in the game. The water sections are just very.. Well, bad. I didn't like them at all and the time you have under water is insanely small, air bubbles or no.

Alot of the time, the levels didn't feel very Sonic like. The cloud level especially. But they were still enjoyable to play and aside from the one level mentioned before, I really liked what I experienced. If you plan to do another project in the future at some point, I'd love to see how your level design polishes up and what other awesome concepts you come up with.

Thanks for the game, mate!

2. Kampfer

Kampfer

Ah yes, I found one of those monitors on accident. Nice touch.

3. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    hey, did anyone of you tried to press P at the menu? (not the new/load screen, the real menu)
    And also beat the boss rush mode? :v:

4. Falk

Falk

Looking at the comments about the music, out of curiousity what kind of music would you actually say jives with a fangame? Remixes of Sonic music? Original compositions in the same style? A combination of both? The same 'trippy' Kirby-esque music, but not actually Kirby music so it doesn't have the subconscious relationship to specific Kirby games?

I thought what this fangame did was quite a breath of fresh air in terms of style, tbqh, although my "disconnect" with the sources may be that I didn't play them, hence it doesn't affect me that way. Wondering what other people's opinions re: music in general are.

5. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Though I recognized quite a few music tracks from other sources, it doesn't bother me. I don't see how anyone could really be bothered by it too. The music chosen fits the overall product really well and that's all I really care about.

6. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

so... as I posted at Sfghq
    here is a Soundtrack list and as you can see, there is a lot of kirby music on it

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I meant the spazzing orbs that have badniks flying around them that suck you in. The fans seemed to act like they did something similar sometimes.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I suggest saving be done at the start of each act. Other than that, I love the game.

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Bug report time!
    [​IMG]
    I jumped over this box and got stuck. Tails was bouncing up and down and I was unable to move at all.

10. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Billy
    usually when this happened with me I was able to, at least, spin dash
    also didnt know it also happens there

@Sparks
    oh... yeah...
    they just make you go upward

11. Kampfer

Kampfer

Yeah, the Tails box glitch Billy posted actually happened to me too. I think that was the only major bug I encountered.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Tried to play this at SAGE but I got this error. Unfortunately, it still exists. This error comes up after you are finished with selecting your options.
    [​IMG]

13. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@SOTI
    turn the cutscenes option to NO
    this is also explained in the manual that came with the game
    there is maybe something wrong with flash or Active X in your PC

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just disabled the cutscenes before I got your post. I'll look at Flash later. Thanks anyway.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I just beat the game, loved every second of it... well maybe not the "GET THE STARS" part. It was not fitting for a Sonic game, but at least it was believable in the sense that if Sonic Team back then actually added something like that, it would be exactly the way you made it.
    I got the bland ending. I'm stumped on how to get the better ending, the special stages only give extra lives so I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing or looking for.

I do have a question. It looks like some of the level art is custom, including quarter pipe slopes. If you made those, how did you do it? Its some kind of exponential skewing thing and not just a simple bending. Did you use some kind of unique graphics tool?

Also I found a couple glitches, maybe.

This was right before a checkpoint, with the couple of spike pits under falling rocks.
    [​IMG]

And I don't remember where this is exactly, but its below a long drop and is a long bed of spikes.
    [​IMG]

Are these accidents or were you just feeling merciful?

16. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

hmm... I'm still a trial member and I'm running out of posts here =(

@Mr Lange
    I really thought I've already fixed those
    anyway

for the quarter pipe slopes, I used an tool called Tile adapt tool that I've found on sfghq, I think
    I don't remember who is the autor and I didnt find a download link
    EDIT: try searching for it, if you don't find, I can upload it for you

also, if you got more than 0 time points at the last screen that means you got the good ending
    and the good ending unlocks the menus with the level select and the boss rush mode, that also leads you to the 3th ending =P

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I got minus 900 lol What exactly determines the time points? How long you take to play the game?

18. Cstyler

Cstyler

Is there any chance to play it with gamepad? My fingers became dumb after 30 minutes of playing with keyboard. :V

19. Kampfer

Kampfer

Try Xpadder. It can make gamepad presses translate to keyboard strokes. Also useful those other games too that don't give a good game pad option.

20. dsrb

dsrb

Obligatory ‘or Joy2Key’ post