don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog: Badnik-Free Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chocobo, Dec 11, 2011.

1. corneliab

corneliab

This 'hack' is about as interesting as dirt. Maybe I could see someone deciding to whip this up out of boredom and personal interest, but as an actual release? What the hell?

They rarely killed anyone in any Sonic game period.

2. dsrb

dsrb

Yes, to put it mildly, I agree that a release should probably have been postponed until there were additional features. Also, I too was perplexed at how (what I imagine as) a simple removal of items could introduce several seemingly unrelated bugs.

Let me say that I'm restraining myself here! I refrained from posting the first time I saw this because it would have come out a bit rude. Probably the best thing to come out of this is the idea of a ‘Sonic the happy tourist’ hack, but even that would get boring after about four seconds, I think. Actually, yeah, it might just be best to forget the entire thing ever happened.

3. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    To be honest I still think it would be interesting to try, as dsrb put it 'Sonic the happy tourist' hack. but maybe make it a full treasure hunt (searching for things such as hidden emeralds or little nick-nacks. I know that is effectively what Sonic games are (kind of) but I would love to try something completely different that is both familiar yet different in a good way.

I think this hack could go either way, it could either become terrible or become an awesomely different game to the original Sonic games.

I would say you either need to plan out some really cool nick-nacks and levels in detail and implement. OR, ditch it and start a new hack (there's nothing wrong with that).

I do agree with dsrb about delaying the announcement until further development though.

4. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    [​IMG]

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Metropolis zone is the greatest exception of all time.

6. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Also this.
    [​IMG]

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^Well that's just not fair. I think that's a glitch.

8. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Glitch or no glitch, it led to some pretty cheap damage, especially in that particular hallway, where there were two caterkillers in a row, and the ceiling was too low to jump over them.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    If I recall correctly, it's to do with the hitbox rather than a glitch. I made a thread some time ago asking for code to stop this from happening as there was nothing on the wiki showing how to do this. I think Mercury put something up reducing the destruction time so you never get caught out when you attack caterkiller at speed.

10. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    The download link is without function. :(

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Could be interesting, but yeah, like others have said, it's best to make something fun of this rather than taking out all the badniks, which seems relatively easy compared to what many people in the hacking scene can achieve. Don't get me wrong, I know fuck all about hacking so yo're one step ahead of me, but it needs something more. Maybe take out the special stages, and instead put Chaos Emeralds hidden in each stage? Make it like Sonic 1 on the Game Gear, that would be awesome.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You guys didn't even include the Orbinaut fellow from Sonic 1. Now THAT'S a hard guy to take out.

13. corneliab

corneliab

I'm still trying to figure out how this conversation went from "enemies rarely kill you" to "enemies can hurt you".

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can you kill the ones that don't throw their spikes at you without getting hurt? I know you can in Sonic 3 thanks to the instashield.

15. Kampfer

Kampfer

It is possible, but I never figured out the mechanics to do it consistently (I think it has something to do with how fast you're moving when you do the spin jump). I think its also possible to kill the Spiker guys in SYZ from the top.

...or I could be remembering wrong. Been ages since I played vanilla Sonic 1.

16. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Hurting you if you don't have any rings means you die, that's how.

And fine, if you just want an example of an enemy that's legitimately capable of killing you, just look at the entire Death Egg act from Sonic 2, or the Death Egg "Final" boss from S&K (the boss before Doomsday). You *could* argue "Those fights were piss-easy," but that'd just be like... your opinion, man. Sonic 2's final bosses had some actual patterns to learn and get used to working around before you could effectively fight them. It wasn't just "lol, wait until they're vulnerable and keep hitting them." S&K's "final" boss took some pretty good timing in order to beat, since you had no rings and had to avoid those Master Emerald beam shots and nose flamethrower blasts.

And that's just in the classics. I know there have been some enemies since then that were legitimately threatening.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Uh, what? Only from the second try onward. The first time, you keep whatever rings you had in Death Egg Zone Act 2.

18. corneliab

corneliab

So now it's moving from "enemies hurt you" to "bosses can kill you". Yeah, whatever dude.

Fact is, you practically never found yourself dying from standard enemies in the original games, or any Sonic game for that matter. You pretty much always had rings to spare, and if you got hit, you could abuse the invincibility, plow through whatever hit you, and grab some dropped rings to boot. Deaths have always come overwhelmingly though pits and crushers.

The only reason I ever even brought this up to begin with was to highlight the sheer pointlessness of this hack.

19. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    There generally was a "second try onward" though, because you didn't just keep your rings, you kept your 9+ minutes as well.
    Wow, way to be a dick for no reason. Guess you missed the part where I said
    The bosses were only brought up in case you wanted more than the argument of not having any rings (which, truthfully, was a situation that wasn't as uncommon as you make it out to be). That argument still holds up quite well on its own though. Especially for no-ring-runners, though let's not bring Unimpossible into this a second time.

20. corneliab

corneliab

Man, what the hell are you even babbling about. Like I said, there's very few situations where you'll encounter an enemy when you have zero rings.

Bosses clearly aren't applicable here. Why is it that I have to repeat this shit to you?