don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Generations is the 26th best selling game of the month in the US: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-10-rayman-origins-sells-50-000-in-debut-us-month

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I wish we had some kind of list that showed more than just the top ten. #26 doesn't sound very good but it's hard to tell without more context. Dear god did Rayman Origins sell bad. I'm wondering if I should wait to get it since it's probably going to be become cheap as hell not too long from now due to the awful sales.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seeing as how much other shit is out right now, I'm going to say that 26th is not all that bad.

4. Kampfer

Kampfer

Agreed, this was a big year for a lot of games. Due to low funds, I almost didn't get this game since I was torn between so many titles (glad I did though).

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    This does not include PC sales as steam never releases those stats to anyone but publishers.

6. Willie

Willie

Since the link was posted in both this thread and the Rayman Origins thread, I'm not sure where I should post this here since it's directed at both Generations' performance and Rayman Origins' performance. This holiday season was meant for a major casualty and Rayman Origins was just fucked from the get-go. The fact it put so much emphasis on co-op without online play certainly didn't help. Not to mention the Rayman fanbase probably lost a lot of fans over the years. Last major Rayman game prior to Origins was released over eight years ago. Five years ago, a friend of mine who absolutely loved Rayman 1 lost interest with the series thanks to the beginning of the Rabbids game flood and lack of a Rayman 4. The lack of a quality game in a series for a longtime while having a flood of games that weren't very good damaged it badly. Huh, that sounds similar to another series.

I know a ton of people who really liked Sonic Adventure 2 that knows almost nothing about Generations or couldn't give a shit about it because they lost interest in the series. Sure, a lot of hardcore fans bought it but a lot of us also bought some pretty damn mediocre games (or shitty ones depending on your gaming tastes). I remember talking to a friend some time ago about games I was looking forward to last year and one of them was Sonic Colors. His reaction was essentially him wondering if there was something wrong with me for being so hyped for a Sonic game because he felt the series sucked now and that nobody should bother with it solely because it's a Sonic game. This same person also really liked sonic Adventure 2 a lot. Unless this series starts producing game of the year worthy games out of nowhere, it's going to be a long time before damage from previous games stops tainting sales of newer games. Unfortunately, Rayman has a fanbase much smaller than Sonic so it can't rely as much on hardcore fans even if it produces extremely well received games. Another disadvantage for Rayman is that Ubisoft doesn't need him but SEGA needs Sonic badly. Outside of stuff with Sonic in it and games by Platinum Games, the company doesn't really have a lot that sells well.

Edit-

Why is that anyways? I never understood it.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Because they think charts are stupid

Except that's not true.

8. Willie

Willie

o_O

Really? In the last few years, what other games have they published that sold really well?

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    iirc Ubisoft does the Imagine.... series. That, despite being MASSIVELY shit, seems to sell well enough to have endless sequels churned out.

10. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Assassin's Creed.

11. Willie

Willie

Uh... I said Ubisoft does not need Rayman. They make enough money off of other games to where Rayman it isn't a very essential series to the company and I'm surprised what I said didn't make that clear. When I asked "what other games have they published that sold really well?", I was referring to stuff by SEGA. What SEGA published games in the last few years sold really well besides stuff with Sonic in it and games made by Platinum Games?

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Depends of what region your talking about with SEGA, different regions have different best selling non-sonic games.

13. Willie

Willie

Well, how about the U.S. and Europe?

14. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    For a few examples of things to support them, they've got the Yakuza series, Spiral Knights (which despite being F-T-P provides services for real money), loads of (apparently shite) movie tie-ins published, and ports/remakes/revivals of their other old franchises from the Arcade/Genesis/Saturn.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Are you from AMURICA and want to win yourself a statue as well as a copy of the game... for the 360?

Well step right up to destructoid's contest.

Simply answer 3 questions about Sonic to their email address by midnight friday. Seems pretty simple, I signed up. The more chances I get to win this statue the better. Plus if I win 2 statues by some random fluke, well then to ebay! Also here are the questions

QUESTION 1:

In the original Sonic games like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, seven Chaos Emeralds and a certain number of gold rings would let you transform into Super Sonic. How many gold rings did you need?

QUESTION 2:

In Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, what promotional partner did SEGA team up with to introduce Sonic's new rail-grinding ability?

QUESTION 3:

In the Generations version of Rooftop Run, originally from Sonic Unleashed, Classic Sonic's stage has surprise references to at least two original Sonic levels. Can you name one of these levels?

EDIT: In typical retro forum filter stupidness, you'll have to change the link to put in two separate dashes instead of the one.

16. Vangar

Vangar

[​IMG]

I got these from Big W. Have you guys seen these around? They were $15 each here. Someone help me decide, I don't know if I should leave them in the box or not?!?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't tell the pic won't load

18. Vangar

Vangar

Refresh, looks like imgur was being slow for a few minutes after upload. I can see it now.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, those, nah you can get those anywhere.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I was at K-Mart yesterday and I saw a few of these (Classic Sonic, Modern Tails, Super Sonic, and Classic[?] Knuckles), but without the badniks and some of the special labeling.