don't click here

Sonic 1 with Redbook Audio

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by theocas, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    They changed more than just the jumping sound. They changed the splash and moving spikes sounds as well. I actually prefer the cd versions.

2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Yes, that should be possible.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    How was this done? This goes almost far enough to make me want to play Sonic 1 and enjoy it. I'd love to see it done for Sonic 2 or, if at all possible, 3&K.

4. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Magic.

Essentially, it just uses a special mode of the Sega CD where the MD cart holds the code for the game, but accesses the Sega CD hardware. It's not definite whether we'll apply this to another game as it requires quite a bit of modification to a lot of parts of the game, but I definitely won't say no right away.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If it was done with S3K, I can see a bunch of people replacing most of the soundtrack with Michael Jackson, and mashups.

Personally, I'd keep the game's standard OST except for the inclusion of Poker Reef/Lava Face and Knuckleduster in their respective zones. It'd make the game perfect.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Holy crap on the Sega CD RAM amount. You're getting it all wrong.

The Sega CD adds two pieces of RAM: 256KB for exclusive use by the sub-CPU (though part of it is eaten by the BIOS) and 512KB for use between the sub-CPU and the main-CPU. The former is called PRG-RAM, the latter is called Work RAM.

Moreover, the latter can either be given exclusively to one CPU, or split in half and give each part to each CPU. Considering how a Sonic game would use it, I'd say that giving all the RAM to one CPU would make the most sense (the other mode is mainly meant for FMV, acting mainly as a double buffer - in fact things like rotation, scaling and such can't be done in that mode).

They just went with that because they had the FM channels free now, nothing else really. And as has been said, the Z80 doesn't output any sound, it's just another processor.

7. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    My colleague misspoke when explaining the 256KB limit. Indeed, the PRG-RAM is separate from the Word RAM. However, the Word RAM size is 256KB in size, usable as a single chunk in 2M mode or as two interchangeable 128KB chunks in 1M mode. Please do refer to these three pages of the scans for the Rex Sabio scans of the official Mega-CD Hardware Manual (dated 1991/10/14):

http://dl.dropbox.co...0926/Cdh-12.gif
    http://dl.dropbox.co...0926/Cdh-13.gif
    http://dl.dropbox.co...0926/Cdh-14.gif

Definitely not the most well-done scans ever made, but should be readable enough to clarify this minor question over the 256KB limit.

8. ZeroShift

ZeroShift

It appears the site went down during the CD download.

Anyone have any mirrors? Or do you know when the site will be back?

9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I don't have the example disk. But I've included a cue sheet for beginners and a note on how to edit it with Windows Notepad.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c7ym8vct98ifzfg

EDIT: I failed to mention that this is the second revision of the ROM hack by theocas, sorry about the confusion.

10. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    I'll work on getting a mirror up within the next few hours. As noted many times before, however, you can make your own soundtracks for the game without much difficulty. The track listing is on the OP.

EDIT: Here's the backup links:

ROM: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7270926/Sonic1Mode1.bin
    CUE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7270926/Audio%20CD.cue
    BIN: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7270926/Audio%20CD.bin

11. ZeroShift

ZeroShift

Sadly at the moment I need the ROM. I got a custom track set, so I'm set for that.

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Look at my post above. It has the ROM. The file is the second original revision of the ROM hack by theocas. The zip is called Sonic1Mode1update.zip. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough in the original post. It was a major screw up on my part.

13. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Sorry about the screwup with the server on my part - it should be all fixed. I had some issues with software on my server, as well as with my server provider's internet backbone. Apparently a network switch failed.

14. ZeroShift

ZeroShift

Don't sweat it, I didn't even bother opening the link to see it was what I needed.

Thanks guys for making this awesome hack! I was waiting on SonMP3 to be properly set for more than just S1SAGE2010.

15. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    I would love it if this were done for the other classic Sonic games, especially Sonic 2 since I' currently working on a project for that game and I was considering having a custom soundtrack.

Still, very useful/awesome tool! Great job.

16. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I have glanced over this thread a few times and never truly appreciated it.

This is incredibly useful and very clever.

Quick question. To make it support Redbook audio was it literally a SEGA CD Flag that you had to set and then told the ROM that if the Redbook audio exists, use that otherwise use the default?

or was it completely different and required a huge amount of reprogramming?

Either way, I'm hugely impressed by what I can see and I cannot wait to see some members using this in their hacks. (I wish I could but I doubt I have the knowledge) :(

17. Nothing low-level like Mega Drive assembly is ever that simple. At the very least they had to edit the sound driver and add CD playback code.

18. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    There really is a flag for detecting if the Sega CD exists (actually, there are two, but that's for another conversation), but to actually use the Sega CD requires a large amount of Sub CPU code and a bunch of modifications to the game's Main CPU code to make it work properly.

19. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Like my colleague stated above, it takes quite a bit of re-programming. To put it in simpler terms - imagine you have a car, but you're odd and decide to change the frame of the car to something different but keep the engine. That's the sort of modifications we've made.

20. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Wow. I honestly had no idea it required so much as to rewrite the main CPU code and some sub CPU code to get it to work.

I stand by my previous statement saying that this is incredible and it's wonderful to see things like this are possible.

Do you think this will become a standard in hacks soon? or even become a template for hacks soon?

I like to think of the possibilities but I don't like the idea of people spamming it in every hack. Regardless, awesome work, fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.