don't click here

Sonic Advance Released for Android in Japan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Graxer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Can someone upload some of the music for the Android version? I don't have an Android phone so I can't play this.

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Okay, put the slowdown aside. I didn't know about the emulator and it being faster. The impressive part is the fact that the game does all the raster effects without emulation. Emulation is cheating in a way. That's why I like ports, and why this thread is so interesting. If it was just an emulation, I wouldn't reply to this thread at all.

An example of impressive game port is Sonic & Knuckles Collection for the PC, which manages to just the amount of work needed to display the game, even when the effects were totally depending on hardware that the PC doesn't have. That game can't show the water surface effect properly though, because of limited number of palette entries and with no hardware HBlank.

So please, if anyone can record a video of the game playing the Ice Mountain, as it depends so much on SNES/GBA hardware techniques, it would be fun to see if they failed somewhere because of limitations, or if they were super skilled and pulled it all off.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

4. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Well, not exactly - performance could be how it was coded, the computer system architecture, or something else I can't think of.

5. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Just finished a runthrough with Sonic on my Dell Streak 5 - no slowdown, graphics were fine. I noticed that Sonic jumps higher over objects in this port. The best way to try this is speedrunning a zone from the GBA version then a runthrough on the phone. the most noticeable example is after defeating a boss when the capsule falls. In Sonic Advance, you had to jump on the capsule then on the button. In the port, you can simply jump up to the button, a height previously not reachable. I plan on writing an extensive list of changes in the following days. Stay tuned.

6. MDave

MDave

Head Ninja Member
    North Wales
    BladeBattles - Indie PC game.
    Seems to be running at a capped 15 or 20 FPS to me, never goes higher or lower. If we could figure out where the cap is and remove it (or change it to 60), should be much better to play. The only thing this port has over the GBA original is a nice higher resolution title screen, and touch friendly menus. Otherwise, sticking with the 60fps I get with the GBA emulated version.

7. Sploit

Sploit

I still use my N-Gage as my phone, so I have Sonic N and Sonic Advance on the GBA...so I find it funny that all these years later the latest phones are now getting that game again. :v:
    ...just installed this version on my mother's Samsung Galaxy Mini....got the lag that other people mention, plus I don't like the touch controls too much.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Wonder if this is a change made to all characters or Sonic specific. If the latter it might be considered an improvement. Sonic always seemed a bit of the dud of the bunch in the game. He didn't even have his insta shield in this game, while Tails and Knuckles got even MORE abilities like floating on water.

9. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    He's got his insta-shield it just sucks really badly.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've played this port a little more today, and it seems to me that some stuff was modified for the forced FPS cap.

Sonic, the rings and other stuff seem to have their animations adjusted so none of their frames get lost with the low FPS, and even the normal shield had its graphics changed because the on-off translucency wouldn't look right.

So whoever said it was running at 60FPS (as the wiki currently says), please check again.

11. Vangar

Vangar

I can't get it to install on my Motorola Atrix, Rooted. it says

"Application not installed". Im using the "Sonicadvance_signed.apk".

Should I be trying to install it another way?

12. Ceej

Ceej

Installed on my Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch. Game is quite consistent at a low framerate. I run SNESoid and Gameboid without issue so this is pretty poor. Its a shame since despite upscaling the bright colors lend themselves well to SuperAMOLED+

13. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    I politely disagree. Sonic is absolutely great, due to having the awesome Jump Dash move (hit left or right twice in quick succession) that when used well allows for extremely good speedruns. The added jump height improved some of my times by 4 or 5 seconds for speedruns, but the Jump Dash is what my runs are centered on. Sonic is definitely technical, second to Amy. Tails and Knuckles are what I call "easy mode." I am about to try a speedrun as Amy, the most potent and difficult character to use yet has an amazing set of moves.

14. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Does this port still have the bug that was so heavily abused in this speedrun?

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I've been running this port on Miui on a slightly overclocked Evo 4G, and while at first install it was kind of jerky, I tweaked some random things in the settings and now it looks fine. No idea what I did or how to reproduce it. Actually enjoying this port a fair bit!

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but this really does feel like the last "real" sonic game. Seeing that speedrun, it looks like the camera behavor is even the same as the Genesis games. I heard some rumor this was the last Sonic game Naka worked on, any truth to that?

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Naka produced a ton of Sonic titles afterwards so that rumor is definitely bogus.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Naka produced the other Sonic Advance games also. But produced means more like what Iizuka did for Sonic 4.

The interesting name that pops up in the credits of Sonic Advance 1, is the Technical Director "Takahiro Hamano". That's the anwer to why the game plays like the originals (not quality wise, but on a technical side).
    Takahiro Hamano was one of the Senior Programmers in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. He's the guy that is missing in Sonic Rush and Sonic 4, lol... No, not really. The problem with Sonic Advance is deeper with each atom of production you put under the microscope.

18. I wonder why SEGA/sonic team would get rid of the people that "get" Sonic. You can tell Takahiro Hamano is one of those people, and under his direction Sonic Advance is great.

Or perhaps these people left on their own accord.

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That's the case for Naka, not sure about others though.