don't click here

Sonic Advance Released for Android in Japan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Graxer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    It also runs sluggishly on my X10 Mini, but I have the feeling the framerate is limited to 20-30 FPS instead of just plain being unoptimized, and it looks like crap if you don't have a high resolution device :(

[​IMG]

2. Tanks

Tanks

Actually, just managed to somehow boot it. Had airplane mode running last time too. Guess its just finicky. Anyway, runs great on here. No sign of lag from what I can tell. Anyone want to Westernize this shit now? :P

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

I got it to run on my phone, and the framerate isn't choppy but definitely low. Everything looks kind of fuzzy too so it must be stretching horribly to match my phones resolution or something. I think I'll just stick to emulation where I can actually use buttons to control games rather than touch controls.

4. Granville

Granville

US
    Mine runs at what I can say is exactly or almost exactly 15 frames per second. I'm not even exaggerating either. I tested the original GBA game on Gameboid on my phone AND VBA on my computer, forcing a frameskip of 3 and making it run at 15fps. The speed is identical to the official port. This is ridiculously choppy, not something I'd consider playing. I genuinely hope there's something about an incompatibility with my phone and the game wasn't just ported this way. Running on a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate (Cyanogenmod 7 and overclocked to 1.4ghz). One of the faster single core phones out there, so I seriously doubt it's an issue with the phone not being fast enough. I've no speed issues using any other games (even powerful ones).

As it stands, I suggest if you want to play Sonic Advance on an Android phone, get Gameboid (free on Slideme market). The GBA version should run perfectly. Fullspeed on my phone, regardless of overclocking it or not, and seems to run fine on slower phones as well. This might have been a decent port, but the framerate really kills it (unless there's something I'm doing wrong). Midi's aren't bad, but I'll deal with the low tech sound for a decent framerate. I consider that a requirement when it comes to playing a Sonic game. But I will readily take my comments back if there's something wrong on my end, or if the game just wasn't ready to be played on my series of phone. Looks like it would play pretty well if not for the framerate.

5. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    No real keyboard support, but it kind of works with the little navigation nub on my T-Mobile Sidekick 4G. Kind of sluggish, as others have said. This seems like they actually ported the game over. Seems to do this weird freeze when the system is put to sleep. The animations continue playing, but the game is frozen.

Har. So the invulnerbility music isn't the Sonic 1 song, but a remix of the one from the intro.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That's what happened to me.

7. Granville

Granville

US
    Not even too crazy about the midi music. Neo Green Hill zone was ok, but the other tracks just don't do much for me. Liked the GBA renditions better. Listening to Egg Rocket zone for instance, sounds like the pitch is off and there's a lot of instruments missing. GBA's music was a lot lower quality, but they somehow just sounded better sequenced. The load times are also surprisingly long. Not rip your hair out long, but considerably longer than the instant loading of the GBA version.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    man sounds well jank, even if it is a port and not emulation it seems to run worse? I don't quite understand why sega do this.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Can anybody get a music rip? I would like to hear those new tracks that SEGA replaced.

Should this port be worth wiki-ing?

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member

11. MastaSys

MastaSys

I just don't understand why using Sonic 4 music, hugh.
    If there were issues with the licensing why not just use the regular Boss Theme for those parts?.... jeez

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Considering crappier ports have been added to the Wiki, it probably is.

I started a new page for the port: Sonic Advance (Android)

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Any reason why 80% of the sound track lacks percussion of any sort?

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks.

Did Sonic N do the same thing with the music change? or is this the first advance port that has done this?

15. Definitely a lower frame rate than the original, running on my Epic 4G, but still very much playable. Everytime SMS Pro has a popup, it locks the game and I have to go to task manager to shut it down and restart, heh. So I guess your suggestion for flight mode definitely makes sense.
    Thank you for this!

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Seems to be locked at exactly 30FPS to me, as I can only see the numbers 0,2,4,6,8 in the timer's last digit.

What's funny is that the original game seems to have been designed with this screen width in mind, judging by the boss areas.

17. I think I'll stick to my GameBoid and Roms. At least I can use my keyboard on my Desire Z.

Nice to see part of Sega still caring for Sonic Advance. Cause ultimately this seems like a side project and wouldn't have been given the OK for making it by the same person who say, gave the OK for Generations or what not.

(By person, that can also be taken as 'Team')

18. Frodo T. Baggins

Frodo T. Baggins

Kinda wish I had an Android. This game was the closest to a real STH 4 that Sega ever came.

19. Tanks

Tanks

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    It doesn't. It's just set at an... "incorrect" instrument.