don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...That looks fucking awesome.

2. I agree with Mosqui. This level art is certainly interesting and the clouds look wonderful. It would be cool to see this art used for something in the future.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Which do you think is better?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note the latter is a mockup right now (I'll have to check if it's possible to skip Tails' animation). Just wondered if it would be better for consistancy with S2K.

I've also updated the hack (may as well note it here, since it's thread is locked). Slight refinements in graphics plus I've edited it to have some refinements according to S2K (ring count kept when travelling out of act, lower special stage quotas). Most of the sprites now work in two player mode as well. Demos are still buggy though and some parts still read SONIC instead of AMY. See the wiki page for download.

ICEKnight's level is nicely detailed, my only possible complaint is that it's all a bit random and doesn't quite have a consistant design. Maybe using the floor on the second platform for the rest of the level would fix it, looks rather nice.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Second one. Tails.. just looks wrong there, all the emphasis should be on Amy, as it is with Knuckles in "Knuckles in Sonic 2".

But both look great.

5. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I think the second one looks better, though her hand looks a bit weird, and maybe you could change it to read "Amy the Hedgehog 2"?

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I was gonna ask if this was an option instead:

[​IMG]

But the title card seems to get in the way of their heads.

Perhaps go with 2, something about it seems a LOT more natural, I can't pinpoint what it is though, nice work by the way!

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    The right looks better to me. What made it easier to fit things well with Knuckles is the lack of the selections, as there was no 2 player. So everything was lower down and gave the title card more space. But yeah either way I like the way the right one looks, as it emphasises Amy.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I want to keep the extra selections however (I can't turn down having two player mode, for reasons stated on another General thread) and placing everything further down would obscure the '2'.

Has anyone an advisory way to edit the title characters' placement, since they don't seem to be ASM editable like in Sonic 1. PlaneED seems the most likely solution, but I wanna check if there's anything more simple.

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I have to disagree with that one, because I think that makes the title screen too messy (to say it unfiltered, "oh mah gawd theres soo much shit on dah screen!"). A fix for this I could imagine, would be, just like in S2K, to remove the bottom options, move the entire emblem down a bit, to give everything more space.

In case you won't do it, I'll always go with 2.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

2 seems to be the winner, if I can get around the tedius mapping files anyway.

Oh another quick question, about this Cream edit talked about before. I was thinking of using a modern Amy sprite sheet for that project (which will be separate from the 'as is' version) which will make pallette issues a bit easier to get around. Probably use the sheet I made for Hayate's S3C project (which he seems okay with me leaving open for other projects), that okay or is classic Amy preferred?

11. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I think it's the green colour inside the ring that's making it look weird.

12. I personally wouldn't mind to see the modern design used, plus IMO that's the one that fits and complements better Cream's design as well as like you said, make the pallette issues easier.

Edit: Does that sprite sheet has the correct animations for the mid-air hammer attack? since that was one of the things I found a bit odd on Hayate's hack.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I made a new jump hammer animation for the new sprite similar to the classic/Advance animation, as well as ones for most of her other unique attacks (they were made after Hayate's latest revision so it uses the old sheet animation). I'll upload the sheet when it's finished (only a couple of animations left now).

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Here is the current layout edit of Icecap Zone Act 2 for my "Untitled Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack".

Hope you enjoy it. As usual, comments and criticism are greatly received.

15. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    I must admit, I do like that snow on the egg capsule.

Can't think of any major complaints for the layout itself, it seemed to run quite smoothly as you were playing it.

16. dsrb

dsrb

It's interesting to see Knuckles in a new location! Is it as simple as placing the same object/event and the game using the correct graphics, or did you have to tinker with anything to get it to work?

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    It's a little difficult to explain, so here goes.

The Knuckles event object can be placed in any level and depending on the sub id, will do different things. For example, 80 08 is the Hydrocity event.
    If this object is placed anywhere in the level, the event will take place in the same location it is coded to do so (The exact coordinates that it triggers in Hydrocity 2), hence why in my hack, I used it in Icecap2 because it was close to the boss and I could connect the layout to it easily.
    Now, depending on which Knuckles event you want to use (and provided it doesn't crash, a few combinations do), you may also have to place an "Event button" object which, just like a regular button, triggers something. The only difference is that this "Event button" can only be triggered by Knuckles.
    Finally, any other objects that are required for the event to work (For example, Hydrocity 2's collapsing platform) need to also be placed in order for the event to work properly.

Apart from that though, it's possible to have other Knuckles' events in other levels (For example Carnival Night 2's light switch in, say, Launch Base 1) but you have to take into consideration the screen locking, palette swapping and art that is loaded over other objects.

18. dsrb

dsrb

Thanks for the explanation! :)
    I'm looking forward to this being released, particularly as hacks of S3&K are so few and far between.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Moving cutscenes into other levels? Now that's a new one.

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    While wonderful seeing some S3&K hacking for once, I have to play devil's advocate here over one thing; chunk placement.

In Hydrocity Act 2, the area where Knuckles comes from is an actual part of the level, and when you fall you go a plausible distance away from it that Knuckles could viably get there by going a route from the other way. In this, after dropping, you basically immediately climb back up, meaning the area where Knuckles is must be tiny, or at least a very steep climb down a wall to get to.

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a silly thing to think about, but especially if you want Knuckles routes in your hack, you need to think about this too. :P

Unless you have already, and I'm wrong here somewhere, in which case ignore this.

Apart from that, looking brilliant.