don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I love the videos and classic sonic is so cute in the full 3d levels :3

Also, Chimera mentioned that it seems that everything that modern sonic has programmed, classic sonic can do to some extent. I was thinking along these lines but from a different perspective, I noticed on your video that when playing as classic sonic in the modern levels the levels don't seem to be broken and it seems like they were somewhat designed for consideration for something like this to happen.

2. 1) Get quickBMS here
    2) Get this quickBMS script (right click -> save as)
    3) Start quickBMS
    4) Select the bms script you downloaded in step 2
    5) Select the cpk file you want to extract
    6) Select the output folder and press save
    7) Wait until it's finished, and you'll have your unpacked bb(2/3).cpk

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    You need the script .bms file to unpack the cpk. You should download the 4gb_QuickBMS, then the cpk bms fiile. Once you have those, open QuickBMs, browse for the script file, then browser for the CPK.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    However, if anything triggers an animation that the other Sonic doesn't have, the game will crash (ie: Trick Ramps/Rainbow Rings for Classic, the Spagonia Clock Tower handles for Modern), furthermore, even if the Spindash does *technically* work in 3D, you have to meet some conditions first:

You must have been on a 2D area first, if you try to spindash on a 3D area first the game will crash, after leaving the 2D area into a 3D area you will be free to spindash but it'll only go in 2 directions, whatever the engine seems to recognize as "right" and "left" at the time.

5. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Could anyone that uses Cheat Engine on Windows confirm if the following Adress Table works fine for you for getting the X, Y, and Z values of Sonic? Freezing the values has no effect, as I guess it's probably a value copied in lots of adresses already. But getting the current XYZ position is waaaaay too useful when manually adding the objects and such. I used it for creating springs for working around the wall jumps in Seaside hill. Also, just adding the entry in the XML seems to work fine so far. Just gotta set a different non-used ID. Developing an object editor might be easier than I initially thought. :specialed:

A simple way to test it is just loading up any level, and checking if the values are similar to the ones on Stage.xml, and then move around to see if it changes. If it works, we can wiki em I guess. :)

Address table

Seaside Hill video coming soon btw, it's kinda fun. :v:

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm not if using cheat engine would be wise.

"VAC is a component of Steamworks and the Steam client, and works by scanning the users system for cheats while your game is running. It works a lot like a virus scanner, and has a database of known cheats to detect."

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Fixed. If a game uses VAC it's mentioned on the store page. Sonic Generations' store page doesn't mention it at all, so using cheats won't get you banned.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So, I guess I could test it then. I'm still bit cautious though. I mean I don't want to have rebuy everything.

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Don't then. I don't want to feel guilty if anything happens, just let me confirm it later. (As in, if I don't end up banned :v: ) I just run it in offline mode before doing any weird changes to the game.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    So how possible is it to give classic Sonic the lightspeed dash?

Also, is there any way to make Classic Sonic do a running spin in 3d?

11. samourai23

samourai23

Paris

Thank you very much ! :) So... Now may I ask you how to repack it to play with the modifications I added ? ^^''

Yeah... If only I knew how to actually make these modifications... I read Chimera's quick tuto, but he says to "unpack the #Sonic.ar.00 and #SonicClassic.ar.00, go into the XML files of each"
    I don't how to do either, neither do I know if I can even open a XML file :specialed:

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Classic Sonic in Modern Seaside Hill!

Don't worry, I used the homing attack this time. I also added a few springs here and there to get past the wall jumps.

Some parts are fun I guess, and that last part with the rolling boulders is kind of fucking hard to not get hit. Anyway, I dig this stage.

Read the PM I sent you. If you want to install a basic mod like the Green Hill act swap, you can try using the custom installer I made. It will save you any trouble of packing/unpacking manually. Nvm I didn't read the PM back. :P

13. samourai23

samourai23

Paris
    Actually I'd like to do what Chimera did, to modify the ring burning speed while Super Sonic. And if I'm capable of, to increase his jump height and speed too. Then I'll play some awesome Modern in Classic :D
    But for now, I'm stuck :/

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

You should be able to do that using the Generations Archive Editor easily. I don't remember WHICH file or values had to be editted actually(search the thread I guess), but editing an XML file shouldn't be a problem. There's tools out there, or just blatantly open it with notepad(or wordpad if the line ends look all wrong), edit it, and save. Replace, repack, and you're good to go. :v:

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    You can also remove the bobsled to make the upper path after the triple loops accessible, it's on setdata_plan_ly01.set under the name of <SshBobsleigh>

*EDIT* And I'm not exactly sure how possible is this, but the configuration tool is not tied into Steam like SonicGenerations.exe is and it has already been decompiled and examined, would it be possible to write a configuration tool that can also handle mod installation/desinstallation and other related things? That way you would have easy access to it from Steam *EDIT*

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    DustArma, that's actually not that bad an idea. Would be pretty awesome actually. You just need to know what to program :V

As for Super Sonic editing... Guys, I told you how to do it. Wtf o_O;

I'll reiterate: Go to #Sonic(Classic).prm.xml (Classic if you're modifying Classic of course), search for "<Sps>" and then you'll see the "ringbysec" or whatever. It should be something like .06 for Classic and .05 for Modern. Change both to 1 for 1 ring per second, and for Modern's boost, why not make flying not completely cheap/completely broken and change it to .25? This way you lose 4 rings per second when boost flying. Pretty reasonable.

Also, I THINK you can change how fast Super's velocity is. Assuming you have Notepad++, ctrl+h to do line replacement. Type in:
    Code (Text):
    1. <MaxVelocityBasisSps>145</MaxVelocityBasisSps>
    And replace with:
    Code (Text):
    1. <MaxVelocityBasisSps>580</MaxVelocityBasisSps>
    I THINK this will end up making Classic Super Sonic 4 times as fast. Might be wrong though :S

17. samourai23

samourai23

Paris

OK ! I'm almost there, I just need to know how to repack everything and it should be right ! So could you tell me this last thing please ? :)

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

There's a page in the wiki for a reason. :P

19. Is there any way to take off the cool-down time for homing attacks? By that I of course mean the few beats of time that it takes before being able to dash attack after hitting an enemy.

I miss the Sonic Adventure homing attack so much.

20. samourai23

samourai23

Paris
    Yeah, I know, and I downloaded crifilesystem, but yet again I can't understand how to use it, when I double-click the executable, it does nothing (a black window appear and disappear in a second).
    I know I'm a pain due to my HUGE lack of knowledge, but I thank you to help me out with it ^^