don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

You would think Sega would have the rights to the songs made for their games.

2. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Not really.

I made a topic about that a while ago actually.

3. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The looping is fine, I should know because I was the one who took care of it.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yay! :D

If licensing wasn't a problem this port would be superior to the Sega CD versions altogether!

5. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    To everybody who's calling this a lousy cover and cheap MIDI, I should point out that Taxman actually painstakingly researched each and every individual sample used in the original song for this recreation. "Lousy cover" my ass, I don't think anybody on this site could do better.

6. So when can we purchase this?

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    December.

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Hmm I love how copyright gets in the way of everything these days. Whatever. I'm more a US Soundtrack person myself. I'm really happy to hear looping has been taken care of, though. =) That in and of itself is enough of an excuse to get.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Even through the cheap recording quality the "New Wave" pad is-12 or -24 tones below its real position, the -whatever bleep sound is also a lot higher in volume so that made - at least - I thought it was made carelessly. Also wouldn't it be easier to take the original vocal-less song? Well it wasn't lost at least ultin 1998 when they made another cover of it... And with those two versions, couldn't the files be compared and only the equal frequencies be retained? I mean, same song - different vocals - similarities filter = original instruments?

But, as I said initially it was because of the cheap speakers and Sega's history.I'll wait the game to be launched to make judgements, I think.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Again with this "don't speak up if you can't do better" crap. Dude, it doesn't take a chicken to smell a rotten egg. If it weren't Taxman working on this I doubt you would be so defensive. This is an official release, not just a fan project done by a skilled oldbie. There is nothing wrong with expecting quality from SEGA. Taxman being on the project is wonderful, and we know he is doing great things with the game. That said, it's really ftarded of you and other people to jump on people for expecting greater quality of a modern re release. Obviously people who loved the song as it was aren't getting it, which puts a damper on the whole idea of using the Japanese track, in which the intro and end were a huge part of what was great about the game's presentation. As I said, I am more a US soundtrack person myself, so it doesn't bother me, but since I'm now seeing it's not just me getting jumped on over having an opinion, stop with the ad hominem arguments like "well you can't do any better." Doesn't change that it is below what was expected from this release. It is unfortunate that it sounds like nothing can be done about it.

11. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    That's very diligent of him. I don't mind the replacement myself, given the circumstances. I think I can live without the lyrics in this edition. =)

I can't help but wonder though; why couldn't Taxman be supplied with an instrumental version by someone from Sega like Hataya-san, as he, to my knowledge, is involved with the coming official release of the Sonic CD soundtrack?

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Sonic CD was 18 years ago, Hataya might not have the original tracks. Then again, the Generations remix of Stardust Speedway seemed pretty in line with the original, so maybe he does. Who knows.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    To vague. When in december?

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    You know what? You are right. And I just realized something about what I just wrote.

Sega has/had a habit of losing source material from that era of gaming. =(

15. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    So they were incompetent even back in the day. Freaking A.

I guess it's not a total loss. I have to give props to Taxman for impressive research on the samples used for "You can do anything." At least we still have the original soundtrack.

Meh, I'll just wait for the hacking to begin so the vocals can be restored for both intro and ending songs.

Edit: Or I'll just purchase and download it from the Japanese PSN and see if there's a difference.

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Am I the only one who's glad the damn lyrics are gone? Finally I can play the intro and outro without cringing. "ExcaliBAR it's not that far!" indeed.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Taxman didn't give an exact date. He just said December.

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is weird. You always seemed to have such good taste in music!

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Rhyming 7 with heaven and spouting nonsense like "leather and lace!" in a Sonic game? It's grating.

I actually read the lyrics out of a gaming mag years ago and had them around as a clipping. I wasn't aware they were official; I thought some stupid kid had sent them in for some kind of Sega contest and I kept them because I thought it was hilarious. When I finally heard the J soundtrack online, I was like WUT.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Is that why the True Blue compilation album was never released outside japan but True Colors was?!

Damn that sucks shame you couldn't get the legal rights to the main theme. I'm guessing the ending theme has the same legal issue? or is that vocal still in there? but if someone is that determined to hear the JP main theme in vocal, they will find some way to put it back in.

So can we hear this non-vocal version Taxman? The camera phone video doesn't do it justice.

One more thing, how come Keiko Utoku is credited for making the songs on wikipedia? I thought she was just a backround singer?