don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. PizzaBoy

PizzaBoy

I mean, you can pass over the launch pads, and Sonic can land on the building in the middle of the transition. The idea is you never fall into the next part of the level; you make it far enough to trigger skateboard loss and turn around.

Using infinite boost and speed increase, you can launch yourself from that brown wall (that has a booster at the top and bottom, and you boost down it) and have enough speed to clear the train/tram car and the launch pads, landing in the middle of the transition.

I've only managed to get that much speed twice.

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

*Well actually, Sonic seems to be around Sonic 1, probably the ending as he knows spin-dash and stuff, he was snatched from Green Hill.
    *Tails who knows... But Modern Tails states he doesn't know Green Hill (so he never steps Green Hill, another reason for the Sonic location I said) , so yeah Sonic 2 onwards.
    *And the Doctor actually is from Sonic 2's ending, The one in the Death Egg Robot is indeed his classic Self, I mean they made an effort to not show him there, even when time eater is kidnapping him, and he's scared of the fact, so he didn't know about his modern's plan yet.

Oh and the "No one calls me that anymore!" might not mean much, Classic Sonic is shown to know in the Mirror scene who's "Doctor Eggman"(sic), he reacts to it instantaneously.
    Same with "Pretty soon it'll be YOUR plan." even if it's post-S3&K, it's still a big gap until Generations.

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    It doesn't, it's an English dub-only line.

4. Just because it's an English only line doesn't mean it's not valid, in fact given the fact that Sonic is a primarily western franchise I'd say it makes it very valid.

This isn't like Dragon Ball Z were the Japanese version is the definitive version and funimation's explanations/changes don't effect the original version. That line was a decision made by Sonic Team and the writers, making it very much canon.

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Didn't the old Japanese Sonic 3 manual call him "Eggman" at some point?

6. MastaSys

MastaSys

Some point? More like it was the only thing they called him. XD
    You are aware this is HIS original name right? highly probably based on this? With the whole Musical references on the designs and the walrus aspect.

It's very noticeably here (tag just because, it's spoiler free.):
    [​IMG]

And searching for this image I noticed that's the pose (Modern) uses on Generations promotional pictures.

EDIT: Probabbly was just the wording you used, sorry if you did know, anyway I'm just let this here for future reference, the one disadvantages of being a geekly guy is the knowledge of useless trivia in fiction.

7. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    I love this game, but, it's way too short. Way, way too short.

I've 100% completed this game now, I'm just missing two achievements, to restore Green Hill and Seaside Hill - weird thing is, I've done both. Somehow the game glitch-ed on both and didn't award me the achievements, meaning I need to start all over again if I want to get these two.

You'd think the game would be intelligent enough to realize that if I've unlocked all collectibles then I must have restored all the levels, but I guess that's a big ask. Starting from the beginning isn't my idea of re-playability. It's a bit of a shame, to me Colors just seemed to have far more replay value (more stages, red rings, Sonic Simulator) even without achievement hunting. :(

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Not that I dislike the less serious stories Modern is getting as of late, but this looks like a perfect opprtunity for SEGA to move the more humorous stuff to Classic Sonic and start a different series from there + - , beginning with Sonic 4 Classic edition =P   .

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I half-wonder if Sonic 4: Episode 2 is going to suddenly feature Classic Sonic and Eggman, based on the feedback gotten from both this game and Episode 1. Not like they lack the art assets at this point, I mean.

Also, aren't the scripts written by Sega of America at this point? I could've sworn they put the Happy Tree Friends and Madworld guys on that duty. If so, then the
    "Nobody calls me that anymore"
    line was the original line. If not, then whatever.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Aye. Ken Pontac and Warren Graff penned the story and script for both Colours and this game. Some of the touches they added are really nice. Rouge is still calling Sonic "Big Blue" and Knuckles refers to Sky Sanctuary as his own. It's good to have that continuity, especially the fact that Knuckles seems to remember Angel Island exists.

11. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Now that Sega has decided that the modern design is a more grown-up version of the classic one, I think there's little to no chance of them using the design in a game that's supposed to take place after a game that uses the modern design.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I thought the game implied the complete opposite. Nobody seemed to really notice the two Sonics were completely different, not even the Sonics themselves. There's no mention of age either. It really seems like Classic Sonic is just Sonic from the past, and Modern Sonic is Sonic in the present day. Almost like they're breaking the 4th wall for the sake of Sonic's design.

13. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    Whoever else is getting Online Mode problems on Steam, try knocking your friends list down to 100. I can't get onto 30 Second Trial still, but it doesn't crash anymore.

14. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Well, think of it this way - if Classic Eggman is Modern Eggman in his (however so slightly) younger years, then logically, C. Sonic and C. Tails must be youthful versions of their modern selves.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Where in the game was it said that Classic Eggman was Young Eggman? It honestly seemed to me like they purposely avoided all mention of age and such. Just that things used to be like 'that', and now those same things are like 'this'. The reason there's obvious differences between Classic and Modern is for the sake of the audience.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    It's never specifically said but it's implied pretty heavily.

"It'll be your plan soon" says modern to classic.

"Do we ever win?" says classic to modern.

17. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    I thought the way they hit you over the head with words like "past" and "future" throughout the game would have made a point but nope y'all just stupid.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

They use the "Past" and "Future" prefixes also Modern Eggman refer his Classic self as "Me" and vice-versa with "My Future Self".
    2+2=4, so is Past=Younger.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well they refer to each other as Eggman from the future and Eggman from the past. Modern Eggman talks about how he was going through time to erase his previous failures, but he needed help so he hired classic Eggman. Also in the final cutscene, Modern Eggman tells classic Eggman "Don't be too self righteous, it'll be YOUR idea pretty soon."

Classic Sonic is implied to be a young Sonic in some ways too. Amy says to classic Sonic "Wow, you look younger every day. What's your secret?" Classic Sonic tries to learn how to boost at the end of the game, also Modern Sonic tells classic Sonic "Enjoy your future! It's going to be great!" implying that he should enjoy all of modern Sonic's past endeavors.

funny thing about the plot. Technically, even if they did lose with the time eater, Eggman could still win. Modern Eggman could inform classic Eggman of all of his failures before they happen and what to change. Like, skip Chaos entirely cause it back fires, skip Shadow and the ark because it backfires (Shadow could return to being frozen in time), in Unleashed Eggman should just kill Sonic while he has them in his grasp and take the emeralds from him, and then simply skip the dark gaia thing. Modern Sonic never told Classic Sonic what happens, so he'd be none the wiser.

Or Classic Eggman will just go back into the past and become a teacher.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It definitely doesn't seem that way to me. It especially doesn't make sense considering the ages of other characters like Charmy and Cream.