don't click here

Sonic Generations Speedrun thread (spoilers abound here)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ancara, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BOO TO THE FREAKING YA! FIRST PLACE IN SKY SANCTUARY ACT 1 RECLAIMED

01:07:47

2. Take the top path, if you get there quickly enough, you can traverse the flames and go right for the last few seconds.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn, that video. I have no idea what's going on I tell ya hwat.

Also ya how are you people so good at sky sanctuary?

4. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Wow, I think I can beat his time! I know a trick that will surly cut off a couple seconds...

Next time I have my PS3 set up, I shall attempt to do his run but with my trick in it.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Mind sharing that trick? I managed to pull off super jump once but didn't know exactly how I did it

6. ancara

ancara

Welp, I managed to finally beat Goryuck's City Escape act 2 score by about 101.9 points.

All Imma say is that if ya wanna know how I did it Goryuck, there's one thing I did you didn't, and you'll laugh when ya see it.

I'll leave ya be to figure it out while I head to bed happy with this thought of beating you in my head. :v:

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bOfmeyWAx8&feature=youtu.be

I was bored :v:

8. Falk

Falk

Sup folks. I made an After Effects recreation of the level loading animation, mainly because I got kinda tired of the whole 'wah wah you used skills it's easier' YT comment whining. (I mean like, derp, I -know- you can't compare unranked runs to ranked runs, not the point of unranked videos) I thought it'd get the point across if the information was embedded within the video itself, and decided to make something that didn't look like a 5-second job in Windows Movie Maker. So now we have a loading animation that not only doesn't have Omochao, it can be appended to runs that are after a restart (instead of gray + 2 sonic silhouettes) and has motion blur/3D stuff to boot!

Example of how it looks here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5VPoi9tvU&hd=1

Download:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19357938/Sonic%20Generations%20After%20Effects%20Info%20Splash.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zon5a5ddcirdzck in case I ever clean out my dropbox folder

Usage:
    - Go to the "Text Stuff" composition and change the fields as appropriate
    - Drag in your footage to either the 1080p or 720p composition as appropriate
    - Line up your footage so that the frame where "GO!" is the largest falls exactly at 4 seconds. The timing of the animation is set up so that it flows best that way.
    - Make an opacity keyframe ramp from 0 to 100% on your footage to get rid of the gray loading screen.
    - Since After Effects renders extremely slowly, I found it best to just render as much as I need (I.e. first 4 seconds), dragging the resultant render back into whatever other editing program and lining up the new/old footage so that the transition is seamless.
    - You can splice this in with VirtualDub if you don't really use any editing program - take your original file, find the frame directly after the one where "GO!" is the largest, set that as the start point and export a cropped section of the video, then append that to the AE render. Timing your audio becomes a bit of a bitch in this case though.

I tried making this into a Vegas preset (since that seems really popular) but had was stumped, since the text has motion blur and transparency.

For standardization's sake, (not that it really matters but I'm a little OCD. Disregard at will) keep this in mind:
    - Level name should be "XX Zone Act 1/2"
    - Type should be "Unranked", "Ranking Attack", "30 Second Trial" or "Challenge Mode <number>"
    - Time should always be xx:yy.zz note colon then period. For 30-sec Time Trial, replace with Score: xxxxxx
    - Platform should be PS3, X360, PC

p.s. sup boosted into the 2nd hoop at the start CPZ2 shortcut. :V I don't think that's possible on Ranked though- Sonic doesn't retain enough momentum.

9. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Not sure how I pulled it off, but I just came seven seconds shy of the S-Rank for the Doppleganger Race challange for Planet Wisp Act 2.

Time: 5:07.31

XBL GT: Same as my name here.

Act 1 Times:
    Green Hill - 1:03.09
    Chemical Plant - 1:17.67
    Sky Sanctuary - 2:36.16
    Speed Highway - 2:18.09
    City Escape - 2:05.36

These are all ranked and thus on leaderboards.

Speed Highway is my best time overall, being number 336 on the leaderboards

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    So far the reason I enjoy speed running speed highway is because you can't glitch jump over half the stage lol, requires real skill to go fast :D

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I improved my Seaside Hill Challenge 5 run, now at 30.86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhP67-mfAY

I think I can do further improvements at the floating platforms section.

12. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Hells yes! Just pulled off the S-Rank on that Doppleganger Race. Time: 4:48.68!

Also, Planet Wisp Act 1 Challenge 4 - You shall never beat my time. Thanks to picking up about 3 of the 5 second clocks and a 20 second one all before enough time had passed, I completed the challanged with a time of 0:00.00

13. DNLeal

DNLeal

Former MMO addict Member
    Costa Rica
    Reading the archives...
    Ok, to all the past users and their records, how the hell can you guys be so damn beast, specially in sky sanctuary?! I currently only tackled 3 modern stages, Green Hill, Speed Highway and a freshly recorded chemical plant once I looked at Falk's video (best ending tune ever, maybe I could use that intro of yours). Playing on rank mode on the PC version.

Steam ID: DarkNeedle
    Leaderboards name: (DN)

Here's an upload of my recent attempt of Speed Highway at 1:48.94, I really don't know what else I can try to do besides a few hiccups.

Edit: Thanks a ton corneliab and Falk for the protips! My record's been improved by 7 seconds!

Here's also my old Green Hill Act 2 video. to test my fraps. The current time doesn't match my current 1:43.90 record.

As for the Chemical Plant, I'll upload the video as soon as I render it in After Effects.

14. Falk

Falk

I know right

edit: at 0:23 of speed highway you can actually hop over the ramp and boost (not homing attack, dumb egg-bumpers) into a red hoop which skips the first 2D segment. Tricky to pull off, (not CPZ-level tricky) but thankfully extremely early in the level if you use all starting shortcuts.

15. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Some new times for you guys.

Act 1:
    Seaside Hill - 2:46.73
    Crisis City - 3:08.69
    Rooftop Run - 3:29.95
    Planet Wisp - 4:21.60 - TOP FUCKING 50 IN THE WORLD! Number 48!

Firstkirbyever is number 1 in the world, btw. Good stuff bro. He has my time beat by almost 2 full minutes, and about half a minute ahead of the next guy.

Also, fun stuff - my avatar is currently dressed as Classic Eggman - with the Chaos Emeralds.

16. Falk

Falk

I really wish there was an easy way to consolidate rankings across all three platforms.

Although the number of hilarious GHZ1 results on Steam is already reaching critical mass. 14 seconds? Really?

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Can't remember my scores and time right now, will have to come on next time I play, Online only started working for me yesterday XD If anyone wants to add me on PSN I'm jimmyhedgehog. Unimaginitive I know haha XP

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I smell hacks.

Egg Dragoon

2:14.
    [​IMG]

19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Oh for the love of god please enable letterboxing, that stretching is ugly as hell. :(

20. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Letterboxing?