don't click here

The perfect generations controller?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by gummyworm, Nov 1, 2011.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

To be honest, I have had mine a year, beaten Sonic Classic with it, played Sonic; before The Sequel to death, played Sonic XG's demo, Sonic Fan Remix, Retro Sonic, Sonic The Fated Hour, as well as numerous online emulators, flash games, and even Sonic Level Creator for hours, and it still works fine. Some tender love and care with it works wonders, though I'm not ruling out it breaking just yet due to what everyone else says about it, and how light and plasticy it feels when I hold it.

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I would just like to add that I've had to eat my own words- two hours in to Sonic Generations and my PlaySega Control left D-pad breaks. :colbert:

3. gummyworm

gummyworm

Generations seems pretty flexible controller wise... but those ps2 adapters don't always translate well to pc - the last one I used wouldn't let me use all the buttons :P

anyway, my snack-cake controller works well with PC too. ^^

4. Hanyou

Hanyou

I use the 360 fightpad, and it's okay. I wonder if a Saturn controller would work, though.

5. gummyworm

gummyworm

I heard that the quality of those pads dropped off at some point :P

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    If you can find the ones manufactured by STS, they're just as good as ever. Ebay is flooded with cheap knock-offs, though.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Mine lasted for about 6 months. Still worth it.

EDIT: My advice? Get one of these and a real controller.

8. Anyone ever tried one of these?
    [​IMG]

Just found it on ebay, it's like $20 though, normally I'd take a risk but this is kinda pricey for a gamepad..

edit: ah, never mind. They came up when I was searching for USB controllers, but apparently they're for the Genesis not USB.

9. My ideal controller? Well, it's gotta be this baby:

[​IMG]

Just look at it... ain't it cute?

I use it for all my gaming needs and surprisingly, it lasted me for some time. Anyone going for those old time controllers instead of this must be out of their mind. They were phased out for a reason and if nostalgia is what you're after then... uhm, yeah. Suit yourself.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I've gone through about three of those. Just use an actual PS3 controller.

Oh, nice edit:
    Nevermind, keep using Logitech controllers!

11. Penguin

Penguin

I'm just using my PS3 controller on USB. Works exactly as if I were playing on a console.

12. I use one of these:

[​IMG]

I don't really like it, but it works for Sonic Generations which is why I'm using it at the moment (the game won't read my PS2 controllers in the USB hub). The thing is quite ugly, but essentially fine, but after an hour or so of gaming, I find it a bit uncomfortable - but then I've always found those big, clunky, chunky controllers with loads of buttons quite uncomfortable compared with older, lighter less cluttered ones. I tend to think of this thing as my back-up controller, since I'll only use it when there's a problem with whichever other controller I want to use, but right now, it's my primary one because it's the only one Steam likes. The one good thing about this controller is that it's about 10 years old I believe, and still doesn't show the slightest sign of wear and tear. Googling it, webpages tell me I need to download drivers to use it, but I didn't - it was plug and play - even with Windows 7.

I am going to invest in one of those SNES replica controllers I think, for playing Master System games on emulators. Feels weird with this clunky big thing.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Mine's been lasting me for a pretty decent length of time, considering this one's 5 years old. The lack of analog triggers is quite a drawback in a world with the XB360 controller, but the D-Pad beats both the 360s and PS3s I'd say. My Saturn USB controller is newer but has driver issues (have to basically unplug/replug the USB plug to get it to work after waking from sleep).

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I've got a Saitek P2600 (almost identical to this, but with Rumble), and I've gotta say, it's pretty nice for emulating N64 and Genesis games. Sure, the analog sticks are uncomfortably far down, and the thing in general has too much bulk. But it's got six main face buttons, compared to the more common four, which is perfect for Comix Zone (pretty much needs a six-button controller for items) and Ocarina of Time (playing songs with the stick and the A,B buttons is disorienting).

15. I use one of those, but I don't like how the analog sticks are in a square shaped slot instead of a circular one, like a Playstation or Xbox controller. It makes it really easy to slide slightly sideways so you are going diagonal instead of forward. If the stick is analog with full ranges of motion, why do they force you into going into a direction by putting the stick in an oddly shaped slot? Nintendo has done this for years now, and it just makes rotating the stick less smooth in the long run.

I'm just going to use an Xbox 360 controller when I get one, that and the thingy that lets you use it on the PC...

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I broke one of these, too!

17. Pyrii

Pyrii

....... nevermind... Member
    South UK
    Sonic Generations Reverse Engineering
    I can't stand the Dual-shock or dual-shock-style controllers, I can't reach the thumbsticks with my thumbs and it just feels wrong to play, I'm kinda like Aeris with a Xbox 1 controller int hat regard. I love my wired 360 controller and use it for platforming on my PC and 360 all the time now. Works fine with Generations and the buttons are sort of in the right place :3

EDIT: hah, found it. http://san-renard.deviantart.com/art/VG-Cats-fan-comic-17374005 This is what a Playstation controller feels like to me.

18. Yuzu

Yuzu

Dualshock 2 here with a good adapter my friend sent me. I completely love the adapter, works perfectly on the PS3 and PC. Generations worked fine on it without any set up.

Only problem is my PS2 controller's L2 likes to get jammed in place a lot making it incredibly frustrating to turn on Generations, I gave away my other controller when I gave back my PS2 to my friend, so is there any way to sort this out?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  19. Just get a 360 controller that already has a cord. They're cheaper and you can just plug and play. Anyway, I'm just using a regular 360 controller for Generations, since I actually prefer to play 2D Sonic games with an analog stick instead of a d-pad (even a good one like the 360 doesn't have). I don't play all 2D games with an analog stick but Sonic's movements are simple enough and there is a lot of holding right (not that that's all there is to it :rolleyes:).

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Oh god. I have that controller and stopped using it in '09 when I got a PS3 controller. You would be amazed how much worse the analog and d-pad controls are for that compared to a nice controller. Like I used to play Sonic Robo Blast 2 with it and was shocked how much significantly better it played after getting a controller that doesn't suck ass.