don't click here

Gamasutra: Sega's Takashi Iizuka on Sonic's Future

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Nov 4, 2011.

1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Hasn't Iizuka been in charge since Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog? I thought he was the one responsible for those games.

Iizuka didn't direct Colors, did he?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    He's listed as producer for Colors, 4, and Generations. He's listed as Director for Shadow, Sonic Heroes, and the Adventure series, but for those games I don't believe he was alone as far as vision was concerned. There were teams of people that made these ideas, like Naka obviously had a hand in the Adventure series. I'm not sure if he spawned Heroes and Shadow himself, but if he did, he's at least learned from his mistakes and Colors was a damn fine way to use the Storybook series team.

3. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Well Unleashed (daytime), Colours, and Generations are all good, but I can see how there's only so much you can do with that before you want to move forward to the next thing.
    It might be cool, who knows?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe what he means more is he wants to branch off from the norm a bit kind of like how he did with Colors. Sonic with Mario powers I don't see what's wrong with that.

But please no more redesigns. We finally have one design that's worked for more then a year. Keep it.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I wish they'd go back to the adventure controls and gameplay. It wasn't broken if you ask me. I really dislike the unleashed style 'memorize everything or die' gameplay. If they ditched that for generation's classic style platforming, and added the adventure gameplay I think they'd have a great game on their hands.

6. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

7. MastaSys

MastaSys

Different Opinion = Troll

8. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Personally, I'd prefer something like SA1 with polished controls and camera design and a well designed hub world with a single quest, three playable characters who are switchable on the fly in said hub world, and better level design.

9. MastaSys

MastaSys

Genuine Question, why hubs are so fascinating for (all/some of) you?
    For me it seems like pointless filler, there are better ways to make the game feel connected, S3&K for example.

I would actually want a Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic & Blaze kind of deals.
    Two quests sharing the same mold of gameplay (Unleashed is not one of these, for example) but with different attributes about them.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    hahaha very nice. But no, I do like modern Sonic's gameplay and I'm not trolling. Yes I enjoy both classic and modern. Essentially Generations caters to me in almost every way. I have nothing against Adventure but it just turned into a linear snooze fest come SA2.

Oh that comment was in response to my second comment. That was about Modern Sonic's in game model. For the most part, it's pretty good, and it beats every attempt at a 3D Sonic model to date (Modern 3D Sonic model anyway, Classic Sonic's model kicks all sorts of ass).

11. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I personally am not a fan of them, which is why I'm glad Colors had that cool challenge mode.

But if the game has a hub, what can you really do about it? Not like you can hack it out of the game (easily). And it's not like I'm going to avoid buying a Sonic game just because it has a hub.

I will admit though that Generations' hub is at least interesting.

12. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I fucking love modern Sonic in Generations. I absolutely want to see it further refined. Make boosting something harder to obtain, or better yet, have it exclusively as a power up, make spindash better, keep the multiple paths and platforming the way it is or add a little more, and boom goes the dynamite, we have the perfect 3D Sonic. Not even remotely kidding.

Fun to explore, fun to find secrets in, I like talking to NPCs if they have something important to say, give, or challenge the player et al.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Instead of making more Sonic titles, they can give the franchise a rest for a few years. Because that's what it needs, not more half baked ideas and games. It also needs a new owner that isn't Sonic Team, but we all know what the chances of that happening are.

Do something original like the NiGHTS and Burning Rangers and Chu Chu Rocket days (which doesn't equate to Puyo Puyo sequels or anything like that). Alternatively supply NiGHTS Journey of Dreams customers with a free patch to remove all the talking owls and stupidity. Or give us money for the mental damage that game causes.

A new type of Sonic would more than likely be another speed-fest. Maybe strictly 2D, but unlikely to be as well thought out as the Mega Drive classics. Seems to be the direction they're going in.

14. MastaSys

MastaSys

... Thinking about it Generations' hub feels more like a little playground that links levels which it feels kinda nice.
    I guess my mind is a bit stuck on "hubs = plain terrain just with doors and talking npcs"

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Generations hub reminds me of Sonic Advance 3's hub, which I really liked.

It's possible Iizuka could be talking about the rumored Sonic Dimensions for WiiU when he mentions "a new standard modern Sonic."

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You know none of what you say will ever come true right?

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sonic Generations became good because of Aaron Webber. Sega completely changed to something better when Aaron Webber actually started speaking to the fans directly, and he was promoted to looking after Sonic Generations. But now when Generations is over, he really needs a permanent position in Sonic Team, possibly as a producer!
    I am sure everyone here would agree, right?

18. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Truly, they will make a new Sonic, just like...

[*]Sonic 2006 was a faithful reboot to the series based off of remaking Sonic 1
    [*]Sonic 3DS tributes all the portable stages
    [*]The other characters that got high scores in the infamous poll that led to Shadow the Hedgehog are going to get their own games sooner or later

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    This topic is full of wank. Just saying.

Sure can't wait to see what the future holds. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic Can Do Anything!

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The only thing that comes to mind is "bawwww ________ eyes"......essentially something new to complain about, until we get used to it. But let's consider 2006 the permanent lowest point of the franchise.