don't click here

The perfect generations controller?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by gummyworm, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gummyworm

gummyworm

looking back at it, it seriously does look like a cake with frosting on it... lol

Ritz - the best saturn controller is the 2d pad then? Should I even bother finding a Nights controller for my saturn then?

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    [​IMG]
    If it's this one, you're set for life.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Croc also had tank controls. Great comparison there.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Still the most demanding on the system! I'm pretty certain there isn't a single 3D game on the Saturn with controls that allow you to arbitrarily change directions on a dime like every other platformer today does. And if I could play Mario with a Saturn pad, y'know, I probably would.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Burning Rangers

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Haven't played that yet. It probably controls perfectly with the d-pad, though.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

"I haven't played it but it's fine with the d-pad"

really dude

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Keyword: Probably.

You seem to be suggesting otherwise! Care to explain?

9. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Hehehe, you said 'anal'.

And I do not think Sonic Generations can have a perfect controller. You need two controllers.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

[​IMG]
    I'm using this beauty on the PC :v:

11. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

^That thing will be in pieces by the end of the day. I have two over here, one of them is broken. They aren't giving those out anymore, are they?

It will be an akward fit, but it's feasable. I might do the same.

I was always partial to the Dreamcast one as well. Most complain about the size and weight, but I've always felt comfortable with it (not when the Rumble Pack is attached though).

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Like he said, these things are prone to breakage. Mine's D-pad stopped responding a few months after I got it, and the plasticy, low-quality feel always got to me.

So! I just opened up one'a my original Saturn controllers and replaced the whole thing using that shell! Worked like a charm, and it's been my controller of choice ever since.

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

R trigger here, after a week of good use. Well, they were given for free, so I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

14. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    You can just buy Saturn PC USB controllers for 15 dollars from Hong Kong that work flawless and have free shipping to North America.

I have had one for years with extensive use - no issues.

15. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    That is exactly what I did. I've even compared it to an actual Saturn controller and they are no different, apart from the USB plug at the end of the lead. They are even made by SLS. They're the perfect controller for emulating everything from the NES to the Saturn.

16. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I recently played Sonic CD with this:

[​IMG]

It was pretty fun. I plan on making a SMS/2600/Genesis -> Parallel port port for this game. I'll probably be using the SEGA Control Stick, SMS Pad or a Genesis 3 Button controller.

17. Or...you could buy this:

[​IMG]

18. I'm just concerned with getting one that actually WORKS. I'll be downloading the game on Steam and have had horrible problems getting controllers to work with various games. I tried two different PS2 controllers through a USB adaptor thing, and then tried a generic USB PC controller. SOME games work, I'll be gutted if Generations isn't one of them.

So consequently at the moment I don't give a crap what my controller looks like or how well it handles. If it works at all that'll be good enough for me. Oddly enough they all work perfectly fine for Kega Fusion.

19. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    I got this from a local thrift store a while ago, for something like 2$ a piece (I got three of these beasts).

[​IMG]

Apart from the weird mapping of the central button (which is A+B, not Start) and the directional pad look, it feels as good as the original Saturn pad. Note that despite the "C" and "Z" labels, the triggers are actually dedicated buttons and not a replication of the face buttons.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Naw, I'm gonna do it like I did with the PS3 demo - switch between the traditional controller (in this case, and xbox 360 pad) and the 2D Saturn controller in between acts.

Name a price, and I will buy this off of you. I am dead fucking serious. Any price.