don't click here

The perfect generations controller?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by gummyworm, Nov 1, 2011.

1. gummyworm

gummyworm

Hey guys,

This is my first post - go easy on me.

I've been preparing for the generations launch for a while now - the final step of my preparations was to obtain a controller adequate for 2d platforming. (I despise controlling sonic with a joystick).
    Upon finding other people using the "street fighter fight pad" I decided to modify THIS into a decent looking 2d pad.

After sanding, and using black vinyl dye, this was the end result:
    [​IMG]

It actually handles really well - I'm pleased with the tightness of the controls. Anyone else going to extreme lengths controller wise?

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I bought one of these last night for the 360 for generations. I rarely play my 360 so I don't know how to change it from player 2 to player 1 so I can play the game normally, swapping controllers.

But in any case, I have a sega saturn USB pad. So I'm all set for the PC version.

3. Unreality

Unreality

Nice looking modification there.

I'm also going to use my Street Fighter Fightpad (Chun Li version). I bought it for Street Fighter IV but barely played it. Now it shall come in use for Sonic. They actually work if you plug them into PC as well. Although I found I couldn't map the LB/RB buttons to be 'C' on the pad - not sure if my pad is faulty or if there is work around.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That is the ugliest controller I have ever seen.

5. gummyworm

gummyworm

before or after? I really could have done a better job - I might re-do it in the future... finer grit sandpaper, possibly some gloss

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    But, now how will Rock and Triple H be able to help you take your... GAME to the next level? Yuk yuk yuk.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I lol'd

8. DNLeal

DNLeal

Former MMO addict Member
    Costa Rica
    Reading the archives...
    That looks like a good modification, but I feel the colorful buttons don't add up to the coating of the controller as a whole. If you could change the buttons to something transparent (if that's even possible...) that would be awesome.

As for me, I'm gonna be using this:
    [​IMG]

Though I need to wait till the PC version to test it, it works wonders on my steam games.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Niiiice it's the "I melted down tire rubber and coated my 360 fighting game controller with it" look.

10. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Not this then?

[​IMG]

PC sega saturn controller is completely compatable with the PS3

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Yeaah... quickstep might be an annoyance for you as it's mapped to LB/RB.

12. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    What the Jimquisition is that?

Better off using this:

[​IMG]

13. gummyworm

gummyworm

lol - I'd definitely use it

I totally forgot about those USB saturn pads - I dunno if it would work with my 360 though :P

14. They don't. I would totally use one if I could... :(

15. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Seconding USB Saturn controller. Having actually owned a Saturn I can say that the D-pad handled 3D gaming aswell as 2D.

16. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    You can mod a Saturn controller to work on 360, but it seems extensively hard. There is a guide somewhere.

Edit: hehehehe, I said 'extensively hard'.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Having actually owned a saturn AND the NiGHTS 3D controller, I can say the 2D pad did NOT handle 3D gaming as well as a traditional analog controller.

18. FistoftheWind

FistoftheWind

Bristol VA
    http://fightforhopeva.blogspot.com
    The paint job kind of looks like a snack cake, but I'm sure it could be improved.

I'm using the Ryu Street Fighter pad myself. The only difference is my left bumper is set on the left trigger, so I only have to reach down for my RB for right quick step.

Can anyone that has the game confirm that you can change your controls? I still only have access to the demo myself until next pay day.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

You can't.

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The NiGHTS 3D pad is a piece of shit. Doing rapid rotations with that analog stick made me feel like my thumb was constantly on the verge of slipping and I had to compensate for the centrifugal force. The grips are too close together, so you either have to hold it with the crooks of your fingertips and deal with the empty space, or go all in and keep your thumbs bent to actually hit anything. If your thumbs can intersect one another at the joints, your controller isn't wide enough.

Croc has the most demanding controls of any 3D platformer I've played on the system, and that handled like a dream with the Saturn's d-pad. I honestly wouldn't want to play it any other way- though I still prefer the PS1 d-pad to the Saturn's analog!