don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Ok, I laughed.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This game was doomed from the moment they decided not to focus on Sonic's friends. And when it went to the 360/PS3 instead of the PS2/Wii. Also why the flying fuck is SONIC TEAM developing a SONIC GAME? Put Dimps on this shit next time.

3. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Has anyone tried reading the reviews? I usually do not read video game reviews, but wow, these are shockingly bad. One of them opened up with three paragraphs of jokes before getting to the point, then he compared the game to cereal box commercials and complained that all the characters ruin the game. I thought you only played as Sonic?

I shite on the game a lot, but I wonder if these 'professional' reviewers even played it or just watched the introduction video.

I am not sure if Sonic Team or video game reviewers are worse. If SEGA actually pays attention to these people, then I can see why something like Sonic Dimensions might actually exist.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

wtf kind of hyper trolling is this?

5. Vangar

Vangar

This may be a little early but does anyone know if Sonic Generations is region locked? Thinking of getting it for my Xbox today but it would be a PAL copy running on an NTSC xbox.

Lots of Sega games are region free but I'd like to know if someone has already tried.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Probably not, since Ruby Eclipse advocated people importing the CE from europe.

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Funny, I thought every home console EVER is region-locked.

Just did some looking up and at the very least Unleashed was region-locked, so, make of that what ya will.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    PS3 isn't region locked for games.

360 is region locked based on the game itself.

Wii, lol.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    GameTrailers review is out. 8.1.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-sonic-generations/723398

10. Kilometers Prower

Kilometers Prower

no mater wot medoner ses Oldbie
    USA
    Just got back from the midnight release at my Game Stop. Surprisingly, I wasn't the only person there for this game.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I'm off to play. :)

11. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

The GameStop I preordered at decided they weren't gonna do a midnight launch tonight, so I'm gonna have to wait til tomorrow morning. 8D

12. Ceej

Ceej

That's pretty funny. You only play as Sonic, and in most of the challenges I've played the characters actually add to the missions in ways that are interesting (Chemical Plant Tails mission is awesome).

I don't really understand the hate, the level lineup could have been better but there have been much worse Sonic games than this.

13. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    So I have release day shipping for this game (live in the US). When's it supposed to ship?

14. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Wee hours of the morning typically but, that depends on where you live. If Amazon, that's who I'm assuming you bought from, doesn't ship it in time I'd demand a refund.

15. RolfTheUber

RolfTheUber

Seattle, WA
    School
    I see a lot of critics complaining about the bottomless pits. Normally I would shrug that kind of thing off as a really dumb complaint, but after thinking about it a little I think I now see the problem.

The problem is that Sonic games are really bad at explaining its gameplay mechanics.

The moment the game tells you that you can boost, the player's first instinct is to use it with reckless abandon. But that's not how you're supposed to be playing. Not that it would tell you that, in fact the first few levels reinforce this behavior. It's only after the game starts ramping up in difficulty (causing the player to start dying repeatedly for doing what he thought he was supposed to be doing) that the player figures out how he is supposed to play the game.

There are a few ways they could fix this problem, one of which is to take the Bethesda Game Studios approach and remove the boost mechanic (or bottomless pits) entirely. Otherwise, they would have to find a way to communicate to the player that boosting constantly is going to kill you. One way they could do this is to have Sonic say something like "This area looks dangerous, better slow down!" when entering a platforming-heavy location. However, that would probably get really old really fast, so if they did this it should be optional like the bottomless pit signs. Another way to do this is simply not to reinforce the bad behavior in the first place, by punishing the player for doing it from the start (preferably not with instant death).

Basically, in order for Sega to get Sonic games to get really good review scores is to make them idiot-proof.

Even that might not work, though, seeing as the one thing Sega can't fix no matter how hard they try are the critics. There doesn't seem to be any knowledge prerequisite for becoming a video game reviewer, so sometimes you'll get someone who doesn't have the slightest clue about platformers reviewing one. It doesn't help that there seems to be a predisposition towards disliking Sonic games among critics at the moment. But if Sonic games continue to improve like they have, then critics may warm up to them once more.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I forgot to change my Sonic Generations shipping to on release date.

So now I'm getting it at the same time the stinky europoors get it.

Not the slight bit angry because Off the Record arrives tomorrow.

17. Raia

Raia

Try to construct a Keio Saturn > PSX converter and mod a Sega Saturn Arcade stick
    Yea, they (Amazon) sometimes notify you pretty late that your game has shipped, I had this same response time with Arkham City when they sent me a late night confirmed shipment email after the game was sent off hours earlier.

Oddly enough they've already notified me that Uncharted 3 has shipped...sadly it's being done through UPS which means I'll probably receive it after 6:00pm(I assume it'll be the same with Generations since they're both out the same date).

18. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Around here, Amazon always uses some random ass shipping service called Lasership. I believe it's due to their being an Amazon warehouse/supplier right near Boston.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    ...Did gametrailers just say "Upcoming DLC"?! I'm I hearing that right?...

20. MissingNoL

MissingNoL

Also, I believe that memorization is key to mastering this game.
    Reviewers make it sound like the pits are incredibly obnoxious, but really, if they're that hard to manuever around (and frankly, most of them aren't) then they should think about memorizing the stages a bit so they won't fall down as many as often.

Yeah, I heard that too. I wasn't sure what to make of it.