don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I never said Chrome Gadget was in. I just said you'd all shit yourselves if it was. Blame Kail for putting two and two together and getting five.

Four hours, like other estimations. I'm not really trying to get all the red rings.

I know. I'm a horrible person.

2. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    He might be referring to exacting the game's Data. As in, get the data on his PC.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh and btw, there was a playable demo of the PS3 version

It seems to be the same as the July version, with no Modern Sonic (and unable to go all the way up the boardwalk loop halfway through the level, as some people have reported it's possible to do so in the new demo). Only thing different from when I played it was there was a horrible button lag (nearly a whole second). It should be the same demo, so I dunno why it was a problem at Best Buy, but not on the PS3 at my Moms friends house. :/

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Hey guys, I wanted to let you all know of a great promotion we're running. It's a 5 day vacation! Totally free of charge, and all you have to do is ask for a music rip! It's fun for the whole family!

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  6. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    I sense sarcasm.... :specialed:

7. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

See guys? I told you to avoid the internet like a plague because the game would be leaked by the end of the week, and here we are!

I'll go to Best buy and see if I have any luck tomorrow. I need to bring my laptop there to get my screen fixed anyway.

Yep, the game's length is definitely a cause for concern. I was right to be cautious. If it really does only take 10 hours to do everything, than that would bite. This is one of the shorter sonic games to be released as of late. Let's hope DLC isn't far off to extend the playtime.

In other news, those cutscenes are a lot better than I was expecting. Still a bit sad it was leaked this early, but hey, the fastest thing alive shouldn't stop for street dates.

8. Sorry to cause confusion, me and Hinchy are in negotiations on getting this. We've now got the tools, so no no no don't shake the baby.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't mind the short length, considering all the extra stuff including S-ranking all 108 levels (Challenges are ranked as well), which should take a while.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Actually, four hours is perfect for Sonic. Long enough to enjoy, short enough that I can delete my save file (read: back it up to an SD Card) and replay it.

I WELCOME short Sonic games. Sonic has no business being longer than 10 hours. Leave that shit to certain FPS' or RPGs.

11. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Spoil us Gene. Who's the final boss. Is it who we all think it is?

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Sarcasm in that it's fun for the whole family. Music rip askin' = 5 day suspension. Enjoy your trip! :D

13. Dr. Ed

Dr. Ed

Well GeneHF... can you give us any of your impressions? I mean we already know pretty much everything that's on there. You don't have to spoil anything.

14. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Nope. It's my own policy to never spoil the final boss, because that's the climax of the game. It's not like Mega Man where I can go "Hurr, eez Doctur Wowy/Shiguma", where only two times you'd be faked out by Sun God or Lumine.

And no, don't read into that. It's not a hint.

Definitely a fun game, though I couldn't get it out of my mind that this is still just riding on a massive wave of nostalgia. It's definitely the best 3D Sonic game to date, but more serves wanting to see Sonic Team use this engine (Sonic Unleashed Day time at its finest) applied to original and new level ideas. What I especially loved, and some people here don't like the idea, is that the first few stages were boost friendly in that you can hold down the Square button and just blow through the stage (BOOST 2 WIN LOL GAME SUX.) However, later stages like Crisis City punished this behavior and required Sonic to actually platform in 3D. It was like that one DLC Shamar stage where you had to hunt the Chao, only it felt more natural and less awkward. I definitely applaud Sonic Team for that.

If anything, and I know the current PR word is no plans (remember, this is not a way of saying No. This is more a way of saying "We'll see if it's worth the time and money to pursue this avenue more business-wise"), I think Sega should splinter off Classic Sonic into his own franchise. They have the engine down pretty well. It's not the 1:1 recreation purists want, and frankly, I don't think that will ever happen in a modern-ish game, but it plays well enough that I honestly could not care less. It felt right.

16. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Just got a call from Best Buy. They just restocked, going down now to get Generations (or try to). Expect a stream when I get back! ;D

17. ancara

ancara

If you manage to succeed, post dat stream link asap. This'll be too good to miss, honestly.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

To those who currently have the game, I just want one thing left spoiled for me. How does the game acknowledge Silver and Crisis City's place in the game's story? Does Sonic go "I vaguely remember this place" or does he have no recollection of the level at all? If not, then I can go back to acknowledging Sonic 2006 as non-canon to my heart's content.

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Let me put it this way:

I don't know, but Sonic directly alludes to Secret Rings and Black Knight in one of the first cutscenes

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    He alludes to Secret Rings and to COLORS, actually—although he does the same kind of "I wanted to eat that!" thing with his chili dog that he did at the start of Black Knight at one point, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.