don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. You notice it in 2d ones because you're constantly movin and groovin but nah not in the 3d ones before unleashed where everything is pretty slowed down.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Just my two cents on the Heroes layout: It's cheap and lacks the word "fun" anywhere. IMO it's pretty bad when every level feels like it's a sky level that you always have to worry about not falling off, and then sometimes requires precise positioning (not even platforming, just being in the right place at the right time) which if you fail, you fall and die. Then repeat. Some character abilities also behave to where just doing an attack in the wrong spot sends you flying over the edge (Knuckles punching capsules in Bullet Station, aim the wrong way and he goes flying off the stage.. OOPS). It's not even that related to the Team gimmick, which is actually where some of the decent level design comes in (except when you forget Knuckles leading a cannon is almost always suicidal), so it's more just basic design. In terms of level design, I'd pick Adventure 1 and 2 over Heroes any day.

Anyway, it's not Sonic 4 related, so moving on.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sonic 4: Episode 1 has been permanently reduced to 800 Microsoft Points on the 360.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Does anyone know if the PSN version is going to be reduced? I've already got it on my old 360 and don't really want to pay £9.99 for a game I've already completed.

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  6. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    That's a much better price, a lot more reasonable given how short the game is. I kinda wish I'd waited until now to buy this, it was a total rip-off really.

7. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Eh. It's a fun game to play, but now I feel it's only worth a rental.

Too bad you can't rent downloadable titles.

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    The physics didn't get to me as much as they effected other people, but the game feels like another Sonic Advance sequel rather than a legitimate sequel to Sonic and Knuckles. It's fun to play but it's also not what it claims to be.

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Any news of it being reduced on the Wii?

I bought it for the iPhone and hated it, although I don't really like S1 or S2 for iPhone either. I would be willing to give it another chance on a console if the price was right.

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I payed $15 for it and I thought that was relatively well spent. It doesn't live up to it's name at all, but it's a fun side-scroller with decent replayability.

11. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Advance 1: Fun game relatively similar to the Genesis classics.
    Advance 2: A schizophrenic mash up filled to the brim with trial and error gameplay that's not sure if it wants to hold right to win or platform.
    Advance 3: Takes Advance 2's concept, gives out way too many unnecessary acts, feels half-assed in comparison to Advance 2 (probably was), and ultimately makes a game worse than both combined. It makes Sonic Rush look like a fucking miracle.

You're right. It's every bit as mediocre as every other Dimps outing in the Sonic franchise. It's actually better than the last two Advances despite being the exact opposite of everything the name Sonic 4 promises.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    One extra act, ala Sonic 1 is deemed unnecessary? :psyduck:

I like Advance 3 more than Advance 2 personally.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This. I love that Advance 3 expanded on the concept of partners/helpers following you (mostly absent since Chaotix and arguably since Sonic 2 [not counting Advance 1 because it was a secret]), as well as its much more in-depth (and better) level design compared to Advance 2.

14. This makes me wonder why they didn't go this route in the first place...

15. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Because they were trying to please nostalgic fans by using terrible amazing synths.

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    What the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK? The music in the past games had limitations they had to work around, while Sonic 4: Episode 1 created terrible limits for themselves. I don't understand why the hell they didn't go with a direction like that... That's a massive improvement.

17. Sounds like a slightly different version of the original track but with actual instruments alongside it this time.

Not bad.

18. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Small budget?

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If they couldn't afford anything better than shitty synths, then there's something seriously wrong considering how good the music is in certain low budget games like Super Meat Boy.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Too bad ithe remix doesn't solve the whole "meowing lead instrument" problem.