don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Links are not working anymore on the first post. Mind uploading new links Hez?

2. I think there's others in the thread if that doesn't work.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    No its working fine. thanks! :)

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    New dilemma...Sonic 1 expansion is far to big to built. Basically because I've been taking the lazy route and using one giant picture for the level graphics. There are two options to get this thing released.

A) Spend about another two or three months manually putting in the 256 X 256 tiles. Reducing shit tons of space and making Sonic 1 lockonable (sp? or even a word) to Sonic Classic

B) Release it seperate from Sonic Classic, leaving it out completely.

C) Releasing a Sonic Classic + Sonic 1 Combo game, basically being Sonic Classic REV02 with Sonic 1, but you wouldnt have the option of playing SC1 alone (even though you play SC1 and S1 separate when locked on. You get the option)

Any thoughts?

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Of the options, I'd probably go with A. I'm in no huge rush to replay Sonic 1, so waiting for it to be done properly is A-OK with me.

6. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    A Feels like to much work for something you can play on an emulator. I say go with the least time consuming

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm leaning towards not releasing it for that reason. There have been so many hacks anyways, what's the point? There's nothing you can't do in classic S1 than in regular...

8. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Plus it might invoke Sega's legal wrath. Look what happened to the Streets of Rage Remake that used levels pulled from the official games.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Sonic Classic Widescreen FULL
    Sonic Classic Wide Screen (NO MUSIC)

I fixed quite a few bugs me thinks. If there are any fixes you'd like me to make in the future let me know. The check point bug should be completely fixed.

I must make one note of this, you MUST put sonic classic folder and files in a read AND write place. this means you can't put it in Program files if your using windows seven because that is a read only folder and you will get errors when trying to do time trials or save.

10. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Still a great game !
    But I still have the same problem with the ring challenge : I get 250 rings, the sound let me know that the exit appeared, I finish the level, the challenge is counted as succeed in the ini file but... ingame it is not counted and still marked with a red cross. And of course it doesn't add 1 to the challenge count since the game doesn't see it as succeed... it seems that the game doesn't recognize the corresponding line of the ini file for the ring challenge. Could you correct that for the next revision ?

Also, the secrets still don't unlock in the correct order. :p

11. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Glad that the widescreen version released. I assume this means it has 1920x1080 as a resolution option now? :D

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310294

See the "Store Application Data in the Correct Location" section, and save the game data in the user's Application Data directory instead of in the program's directory.

If MMF doesn't let you make function calls like this, consider switching to a programming language that does, such as C, C++, Objective C, C?, Java, PHP, Ruby, Perl, Haskell, Ada...

13. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    MMF isn't a programming language, though.

I'm enjoying this a lot more now that it runs smoothly on my laptop! Will get back to you with my thoughts soon.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Yeah I can look into that. I mainly wanted to get the core stuff fixed. I slightly changed some stuff in challenges but I didn't fully test it. Running through the whole game with all three characters took me long enough...testing stuff sucks :\

15. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Do it. And this will became a perfect game for me... I'm loving this even more that it feels smoother...

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Apparently the original download location is bandwidth exceeded for the month.

http://blaze.letsvideogame.com/fangames/Sonic_Classic_WS_FULL.rar

Be gentle, or I'll take it down. Assuming I don't just get bandwidth exceeded myself :v:

17. ...seriously? I should probably look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

18. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    I was playing with Knuckles... it's impossible to beat the Special Stages due to his low jump height. You should look into that.

Also you might fix some areas in Crystal Caverns in which you see the lava 'floating' in mid-air. You should add some rocks to the final of the chunks so it doesn't feel like floating. Not a big problem, but it still bugs me. :P

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I managed to beat all the special stages with knuckles. You must not be trying hard enough :v:

20. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Perhaps... :P

By the way you should look for those chunks in Crystal Caverns, the ones I mentioned then it will be perfect. :)