don't click here

Campaign to get SEGA to port SegaSonic Arcade to the DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Aug 27, 2011.

1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'm trying to start a fan-driven campaign to get an official SegaSonic the Hedgehog port for the Nintendo DS consoles. Why? Because this game is so special and important to Sonic history. It was the first to feature voice acting for the characters, and the first appearances for the "forgotten" characters, Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel (who hasn't been seen since). It's pretty fun too, which is why it's a shame that so many can't play it. As you may know, Sonic Team actually wanted to include the game in Sonic Gems Collection, but was unable to properly emulate the trackball control scheme. Without a trackball, it's impossible to play properly.

Now, thanks to the Nintendo DS, a virtual trackball can be properly emulated and manipulated on the touchscreen, a technique that has been used successfully in several other DS games, like Looney Toons Galactic Taz Ball, and The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road. Translation of the in-game text would be wonderful, and a replication of the arcade version's multiplayer capabilities via Wi-Fi might also be possible. If ported to the 3DS, even the illusion of depth can be included! The technology is here, and the time couldn't be better as we celebrate Sonic's 20th Anniversary. The inclusion of Ray and Mighty posters in Sonic Generations' City Escape proves that Sonic Team still remembers the game. Whether it's an unlockable in a future Sonic game, part of a compilation, or even a standalone downloadable title, we need to tell SEGA that we want a DS port of SegaSonic the Hedgehog! Because really, who doesn't? ;)

Visit the Facebook page for the campaign here! Don't forget to "like" it, and tell your friends, too! If enough of us speak up, SEGA will listen. Also, feel free to copy my sig picture and use it on other forums with a link to the campaign site.

2. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
  3. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

I'd very VERY Much like someone, ANYONE, to release the niche sonic titles, like Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car. A rom of that would be just fabulous.

Unless it already exists. Which I don't think it does.

I'd also like a rom of that game where sonic's controlling a spaceship, its name eludes me.

4. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter! Come to think of it, SegaSonic Popcorn Shop would work, too, since the entire point is to spin a wheel as fast as possible. Too bad there's no popcorn dispenser peripheral yet. :v:

BTW, that video's been "lost" for a while. Someone should rip it before it disappears again!

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I'd love to see this game ported to something, just not either of the DS machines as the original's screen resolution isn't high enough and I don't have a 3DS (and that's important because this is really all about pleasing me). Also: don't nobody be tryna make it none of this digital release shit, I hate that. =(

6. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

I should just make it a goal of mine in the far future to buy one of these machines, they can't be that expensive, since at least the patrol car was EVERYWHERE in japan (or used to be, anyway). Then I could just have someone help me take out the motherboard and make a dump of it for the general public, then slip it back in good as new. Come to think of it, some of these machines were translated into english for the major tourist areas, weren't they? Those will be considerably harder to find.

Also, thanks for that vid. I love little-known things like this.

EDIT: Looks like it's not worth it. Oh well.

7. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    As Ed once said, "Your wish is my lunch."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ff26HH40Hs

8. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I recorded that video. It was in Tennoji Zoo in Osaka in 2007. I took some photos of it and wrote about it for UK:Resistance.
    http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/08/segasonic-popcorn-shop-and-bonus-waku.html
    The videos were on my old YouTube account, which got deleted due to me uploading copyrighted material. I'm surprised the Popcorn Shop one's still floating about. I don't think I have either video anymore.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sweet. Count me in!

10. The Wii U also has that touch pad thing, I'd love to see Sega Sonic Arcade on that.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Incidentally, my MAS Supernova shipped today and should be here in about 10 days. Which means I'm 1 step away from being able to play SegaSonic Arcade on my tv. All I lack now is a trackball, which I'm buying from Happ.

12. So wait, you guys want it on the Nintendo DS, but in the picture, it shows a 3DS.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How is the screen resolution in the DS compared to the arcade, anyway?

Because you know, it would be nice being able to see where you're going..

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Would you not be better off mapping it to an analogue stick rather than a touch screen. SegaSonic Arcade requires the ability to jump.

But yeah my own personal views on the 3DS aside, I wouldn't expect to ever see this. The game itself is only about ffiteen minutes long - you'd never see it in card form and Nintendo won't get their act together when it comes to digital downloads. And Sega already refused to port it as part of Gems Collection.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    While you're at it, this game could theoretically be ported to PC (trackpads/trackballs) and smartphones (touch screenphones and some multitouch/shake to jump).

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Pretty sure MAME has trackball support, a.k.a. your PC version already exists.

No games developer is going to officially target PCs with trackball controllers. The market is too small.

17. A cell-phone port would be possible, due to the short length of the game and the fact that most smartphones have accelerometers and what not, you could easily make a sweet ass port of SegaSonic for smartphones.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

You got a similar control scheme (as the way you would grab the (3)DS(I)) in Metroid Prime on the DS use the stylus for the movement of the camera, d-pad or XYBA for Samus movement, and the shoulder buttons to shoot.
    The shoulder buttons in this case would be ideal to jump.

The small length of the game isn't a problem for a downloadable tittle, there is all kind of games to statics fireplaces on *ware shops on the Nintendo platforms.

19. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

That's the way I would do it. There'd have to be a left handed/ right handed mode, which would make the jump button switch triggers. A control stick sounds like it might work with enough tweaking, but being unable to make it work right for some reason was one of the reasons Sonic Team couldn't port it to Gems Collection. That's the official story, anyways. It's more likely that something else happened, like deadlines. Sonic 3D blast works just fine with a control stick and has almost the exact same camera angles.

And by the way, I refer to "DS" as a group of consoles, meaning all of them. A 3DS version would be particularly yummy, though.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Have any games for the 3DS been released without a 3D function, including downloadable titles (not virtual console games, of course), though?

In that case, they'd have to give it the 3D treatment before releasing it, and in this case it would be a hellish task due to the isometric (or fake-3D) view used in the game. 3D-izing this game would require using the original graphics as textures for new polygonal models that would resemble the original levels... Not worth such a short game, problably.