Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Tell Patrick Riley I have a message for him.
    Fuck off.
    My words.

In fact, I'd like for Taxman to personally be the spokesperson for Sonic CD in its entirety. He's a better ambassador for Sega than any talking head I've seen thus far.

2. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Rather foolish really. I don't doubt for a second that Taxman should be in control of the project for most purposes, but when you work in a professional environment you have to respect the wishes of the people who are funding your venture.

3. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    You get in the door, you play by their rules. Plain and simple.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I do work in a proessional environment, as a software engineer. The people who fund my venture are the people I should be allowed to talk to, I.e. the public. My bosses let me talk to every client we deal with, candidly, even about features we're nixing, because I know our products better than some talking head does.

When you get people who have never sat in front of a gcc compiler being asked technical questions, thats when you get a whole bunch of fluff.

5. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Then those are your bosses rules. I fail to see how that has any relevance here. There is a world of difference between working on just some kind of (presumably business-oriented) application and working on household franchise videogame. I'm in a pretty similar role myself (software engineer for an open source Linux project), and even then there are things I'm allowed to and encouraged to talk about with end users and clients and then there are plans that are closely guarded secrets that I'm bound by an NDA not to discuss. Those rules extend to my boss and my boss's boss as well.

6. They better not take out the S2 spindash. That was half of my reason of why I'm so excited for this port. Who cares if it winds up causing a few bugs? They sure as hell just released Episode 1 as is. :v:

7. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Well, Taxman, if they end up treating you like shit after this, let us know so I can tell them with my wallet (buying 1 copy instead of 3, ect.)

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I doubt the removal issue was any kind of realistic threat. The idea of the Sonic 2 spindash breaking anything other than time attack records is just silly from a programmer's standpoint. (woo, so you get the full speed out of it faster and push the buttons a little differently to activate it. Big whoop). It's probably more likely he was just trying to come up with some important reason to tell Taxman to stop leaking details out of fear that one of more consequence would be leaked. Like the music thing.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    A little harsh in tone, but, well, I kind of figured that'd be Sega's reaction. Nonetheless, I think Taxman did more to sell me on this port than Sega, although I was more or less sold anyway when the Hataya soundtrack was confirmed.

So was the Sonic 2 spindash the one used in the PAX demo? I'm assuming not, but the way Shade Vortex phrases it makes it sound like the Sonic 2 spindash was the one used, and he'll have to play vanilla Sonic CD to compare.

Also, the idea of the Super Peel-Out was to instantly get you to maximum speed, which Sonic CD's spindash doesn't actually do (although it's still damn fast). I forget, though; does Sonic 2's spindash also reach top speed, or will this minor advantage of the Super Peel-Out remain? I figure this is a generic enough question that anyone intimate with the details of Sonic's mechanics could answer it.

10. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Sonic 2's spindash reaches a rather high speed... I'm not sure if it's the actual maximum from downhill running or not... within a small number of button presses if pressed rapidly.

The real advantage of peelout wasn't a difference in initial speed from spindash though, it was that you were still in the running pose afterwards, so you didn't immediately start slowing down and you had more options. For instance, iff you spindash and then jump you lose air control and don't regain it until you reach the ground again. That isn't the case if you peelout and jump

11. That's what I thought too. But re-read the post. He mentions that even without having the Sonic 2 spindash, he knows he likes its physics and the camera better.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Sonic 2's spindash decreases rapidly the longer you hold down, while each "rev" adds to the speed you'll boost as.

So, for example, if you press and hold down, then press then button 5 times, wait a few seconds, then let go of down, you'll release slower than if you pressed and held down, press the button 5 times, and then release down immediately after hitting the button the 5th time.

The exact value which the spindash decreases by and how much each rev adds escapes me at the moment though.

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Shade was talking about his PAX playthrough with the S2 spindash in that post.

14. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    http://info.sonicretro.org/SPG:Special_Abilities

That's why I keep the physics guide in my favorites :P

EDIT: Apparently the top spindash initial speed (8p/s) is actually a little higher than the natural running speed on a flat surface (6p/s)
    http://info.sonicretro.org/SPG:Running

EDIT2: But referring to the first link again, the peelout is still faster at 12p/s

15. ...huh. That's the way I read it the first time, but then I thought I must have been wrong. Why the hell does Patrick care if you reveal a detail that they're going to reveal to the public days later?

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Eh, leave Riley to his own devices, even if what he says sometimes is extremely confounding or just plain wrong. :v: I'd rather have him be happy than Taxman's opportunity being screwed over because, "LOL man, fight da powah! So XTREME and EDGY!"

It doesn't always work that way in the real world, folks.

17. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic CD will always take place between Sonic 1 and 2 to me. Nothing's going to change that, just as it is with Iizuka's denial of Knuckles Chaotix in the canon.

Even with Sonic CD tying into Sonic 4 Episode 2, how will they explain Sonic's green eyes? :v:

18. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I personally don't think it's either important or established, but I do find it silly that now they feel it's necessary to go back and retcon in these details for some reason.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Maybe they figure that while Sonic 1 - 3 were pretty damn mainstream, since the Sega CD was an add on Sonic CD is relatively obscure outside Sonic fan circles. LOTS of people have played classic Sonic on the Genesis, you can play that ring sound anywhere and people immediately recognize it. However, most people I've ever talked about it with who aren't hardcore fans vaguely remember the Genesis games but are mildly surprised to hear that the franchise is still going. They're probably trying to make this game relevant for any new or returning fans to the series attracted by Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations.

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I might be reading this out of context, but sheesh. There are better ways to word things, Patrick Riley. :/

I'm just hoping we get some gameplay footage soon.