don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, seriously, just making posts to brag about supposedly knowing something only makes you look like a dick.

2. The issue with this being that it made the game / achievements too god damn easy and the overall game feel like it was made for a 3 year old that consistantly knew that if they fucked up, they pressed start, down, a, a, and then their savestate is loaded.

Trust me, I know from doing Sonic 2's last level boss in so many savestates as to prevent dying and getting the silly 'Don't die whilst playing the game' achievement.

Not only that, but they used these Savestates as a replacement for the original's (See Sonic 3 / knuckles) Save systems. Meaning that now level select could be done or what not as well as No access to the title screen for fun debug times ect.

And judging by the incredible hoo harr from various Community Sceners, we're probably in for something very good, very soon no doubt. XBLA titles usually have a very quick turn around time and I wouldn't be surprised if we see this before, or even the week of release for Sonic Generations.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    He's not "bragging" about it. He's reassuring people that this won't be as bad as previous efforts without revealing too much. What do you want him to say? "HEY GUYS! SONIC CD IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! IT'S GOING TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE SEGA CD VERSION AND NOT THAT SHITTY PC VERSION! THE TIME STONES NOW TURN YOU INTO MODERN SONIC TO TIE IN TO SONIC GENERATIONS, TAILS IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER SIDEKICK SO YOU CAN PLAY LIKE IN SONIC 2 AGAIN AND YOU CAN LOCK ON TO SONIC AND KNUCKLES IF YOU BOUGHT THAT ON LIVE AND PLAY AS KNUCKLES AND HIS BONUS STAGES ARE RAPPING MINI-GAMES NOW!"

If anything, post like yours would make these people dropping tiny hints not even bother posting them. Pretty ungrateful really when we normally have to get info from unreliable PR crew.

[​IMG]
    This will still be bad no matter who's working on it because Sonic CD is bad.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Fair enough, but he sure worded it like "I know this thing that you guys don't and I won't tell".

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    How about you all just wait patiently? No one's going to tell you right out what's going on and getting pestersome won't accomplish much.

PAX isn't too far.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Indeed, all the new features will be seen in action in a couple of days, so there's no need for little hints or anything.

I think that at least this one deserves a proper leak-less unveilment.

7. zomg new features confirmed for SCD xbla port!!! :P

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    New exciting features such as:
    • Online Leaderboards
    • The ability to turn on and off bilinear filtering
    • Saving your game at any point
    • Microsoft Kinect Support
    • Downloadable Content to put new hats on Sonic
    • Unlockable avatar items

9. bolt7

bolt7

Maybe it's more can't tell then wont tell. I'm just happy to hear Backbone isn't handling this one. The tacky blue SEGA Vintage menus were getting way annoying. Actual title screens > tacky blue menus.

I hope we get double soundtrack support, creative achievements and leader-board support for time attacks.

10. Tito.

Tito.

Is there any particular reason why there would be double soundtrack support, or are people just saying they hope they would have double soundtrack support? I don't really understand why that would be the case.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    ...So people wouldn't bitch?

12. Tito.

Tito.

Everybody would like double soundtrack support but seeing as how that isn't Sega has done or isn't known to do, is there any reason why they would break tradition for this Sonic CD re-release? Y'all seem to be getting prepped for something that wouldn't happen anyway.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because the hint dropping pretty much says it's the version we all want. Plus if this is Taxman's thing and he's working with SEGA America to do this I'd expect both soundtracks to be there so people wouldn't bitch about it not having this or that version of the music.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Not to turn this thread into massive disappointment, but if features have been added to Sonic CD, the main feature I'd love to see added is one that Taxman theorized about earlier in this thread. Some form of detection which will enable true alpha blending at points where stipple shading is used would be incredible and pretty much would make my entire year. That single effect would improve the image quality drastically.

That, and a real 16:9 aspect ratio, would be enough to make me an extremely happy man.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Well, if the rumor of it being run on the Retro engine is true, all that needs is replacement of graphic assets with RGBA ones. Built-in alpha shading.

Think about it this way - look at the difference between the NES SMB games and their counterparts in SMAS. Now realize that SMAS is a direct port of the original code and yet it's graphically leaps and bounds beyond the originals. If the rumors are true, this isn't even a port by any means, it's more of a remake. When you remake a game, you have a lot more latitude as to what can be done.

Also, I get the feeling that some people wouldn't be happy unless SEGA released "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" on the Genesis as a physical cartridge.

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sonic CD XBLA Already on PartnerNet

Source: the dude who's name makes him sound like a character from Twilight. I would link the site but Scarred Sun says I'm not allowed.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Guys, just please wait for PAX

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Before people bitch about the 30FPS thing, Slingerland said he saw a different build in the full Twitter conversation.

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Because people have preferences? Plus, some places have been exposed to both soundtracks, since the EU release of Gems Collection used the US soundtrack instead of the JP/EU OST.

In any case, just wait and see until SEGA officially announces the port. Maybe it might hit PSN and Steam too, but at least one platform is confirmed.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Oh I understand. I make games as a hobby, and I love doing graphics programming. I know how Taxman's engine differs and what sort of possibilities it offers. I'm simply tempering my expectations.