don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You have made me so happy. I was tired and didn't notice.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Now you have me looking up crazy speedrun videos on youtube. I love this shit.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The funny thing is that in the original Japanese script for Sonic Adventure, the "Robotnik" moniker is not uttered or even implied a single time in the game. The insertion of Robotnik into the English script is just more localization fodder. The more you know!

Incidentally, the one true time they actually did merge the two names was in Sonic Adventure 2, where even the Japanese script used the Robotnik surname for Gerald (or should I say Gerard) and Maria Robotnik. To my best knowledge they haven't been used together since, though.

As for which name I'll use... well, I think it's pretty telling when the original internal character reference sheet says "Dr. Eggman" right on it. Let's go with that. :D

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "Robotnik Empire" is used in this cutscene (at the very beginning of the video). I think it exists in the Japanese version too.

but seeing as Sonic Team have ignored the events that follow (I.e. the part where HALF THE MOON IS BLOWN UP) it's easy to forget.

5. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    New interview with more Chemical Plant footage. Nothing really interesting is said though, according to German fans.

6. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]
    I love that end pannel

7. The Robotnik name gets referenced in Sonic Generations, I don't know how but it does get at least a passing glance. Not speculation, it's a fact. See you guys November 1st when I'm right.

8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Do you even have an ounce of backup to this claim? o.o (not that I don't believe you but how can you be so sure)

Also why the fuck are we talking about Eggman's name. It's always been Eggman; US and (I think?) UK localization just wanted to be different; then Sonic Team decided to merge the original Japanese and English names. END OF STORY. If anyone reply's to or quotes this you're retarded for dragging on a useless descussion. Please end it.

New topic: I wonder if this guy is bullshitting or not. http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/10266-I-managed-to-get-a-preorder-in-for-sonic-generations-for-pc-from-my-local-gamestation/

(If that was said already in this thread, my apologies; this thread is freaking huge.)

9. I have a PC preorder at GAME and they made me pay 18 pounds for it so one presumes they wouldn't make me buy this preorder if there wasn't going to be a PC version.

10. I have about 2.3 ounces of back up (legit). Of all the tiny references strewn through out the game, it'd be a cryin' shame for them NOT to at least reference the name.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They can always get new information and refund you the preorder.

It's August, going on September, guys. I know we've seen evidence of a Steam version and PC preorders a few months ago, but has yet to be mentioned by anyone in Sega of serious interest save for I think it was PR of Sega of Spain. I'd love to have a PC version, but it seriously doesn't look likely. Sega probably planned for one and scrapped it. I mean seriously, why would they hide a PC release? To scare away pirates? What company would deny the existence of a version of a game this long into the development cycle?

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    "It'd be a cryin' shame" does not mean they'll do it. I'm sure a lot (maybe even a majority) of people think the level list is a shame. I'm sure a lot of people think piss yellow Classic Tails is a shame, too, for that matter.

The irritating thing is that they're still playing coy about it. When anyone asks them "will there be a PC version", they say "we don't comment on rumors or speculation" as opposed to "no". It's really their loss too, as I'd think a lot of PC gamers are withholding their purchases until that announcement. I know I am.

13. Tito.

Tito.

I'm also doubting a PC version. I think the people who have paid and pre-ordered copies have really jumped the gun. There's no point in hiding the PC version, especially since there's so much evidence that one does exist or has existed at one point. I'm going to agree with Jason and say that a PC version was planned, but the idea was scrapped. Has Sega been making Sonic games for the PC at all since S3&K? I just don't see it happening.

But if there was a PC version of Sonic Generations, I would hope that it follows in the footsteps of the 3DS version and isn't just a port of the console version... and then even I would get it... but that might be wishful thinking.

14. gold lightning

gold lightning

One thing they could be doing is what they did with heroes and wait several months after the console release to finally give a pc release. I don't know why they'd do that, but they have done it before.

15. That's different, any level list would be bashed by someone because their favorite level isn't in it. The point I'm making is that if they're gonna slip in a wanted poster for Fang and Missing posters for Ray and Mighty as well as subtly slip in the tune to Endless Mine from Sonic 3 into City Escape, I don't see a reason why there won't be a Robotnik mention anywhere in the game. I'm not saying that they're gonna out right call him Robotnik, but my sources say that the name is mentioned at least once.

16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    This sentence does not compute.

Anyway, did anyone manage to make an mp3 of the Generations "Escape From the City" track yet? I like that version of this song.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing all had PC versions
    Wishful thinking indeed. There's no reason for Sonic Team/Sega to make a completely different version for PC.

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I read that a few days ago, though the guy got his terms mixed, STEAMPLAY means you will get both Mac and PC versions from the same purchase, what he probably meant was that Sega was making use of STEAMWORKS for the community integration features.

Still, has anyone else who preordered the PC version asked for details about it?

19. PARASOL

PARASOL

I may be mistaken but I recall Sonic Heroes being in the same situation where everyone focused on the console versions but later that year the PC version just kind of... came up?

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    According to the guys here the PC version of S&S All Stars Racing just kind of came up on Steam without advertising when they released the console versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.