don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest 2011

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Scott4

Scott4

Frederick, MD
    Latios in S3K, Brick in Sonic 1, Unnamed S3K Hack
    Wow. It's been 3 weeks and nearly another 1000 views since a new reply, but with Generations, Gamescom, & whatnot, I would guess so. Best of luck to the judges. :v: Wakka-wakka-wakka.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Judging is still ongoing. An announcement will come soon regarding the Contest Week, which will take place during September, with the full results at the end.

3. Scott4

Scott4

Frederick, MD
    :) A lot of us have two things to look forward to now, the Contest & Generations.

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Around this time of year I always spring a serious woody in anticipation for ColinC10s work!

5. Scott4

Scott4

Frederick, MD
    I've read that his hack is called Sonic VR. I don't know why, but when I see that name, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_n6Up5mOE

I could be wrong.

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    At the weekend I worked on a new website for the Hacking Contest. It'll be fully revealed soon. Hopefully some people might find this resource to be useful in a way.

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Yes, I am eager to see what our resident Mysterious Hacker has cooked up today. He lurks the board, only appearing once a year to provide an original, innovative Sonic hack guaranteed to bring fun upon the lesser men and win at least one contest trophy.

8. Tito.

Tito.

If this post continues to exist, Sonic 2 Heroes is extremely underrated.

9. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    He's like santa then, only real.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest Week 2011
    Now it's your turn to get involved.

One thing about the Hacking Contest is that the submissions are only looked at by our own Judging Team. This year, it's a lot different. For the first time, we're going to give you the opportunity to play these hacks, and cast nominations for a Community Trophy - an extra award voted by yourself!

How it works is very simple. We're teaming up with SAGE 2011 to bring you this week. From September 18 to September 24, get involved in our Contest Week. This is the current schedule, things may change but we'll let you know.

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 18 UNTIL FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 23: CONTEST SHOWROOM AND VOTING CHAMBER
    During this period of time, you'll be able to download this year's public submissions. Partial-private entries will have screenshots and videos available, but the actual entry build will not be available to the public. Once you have checked out the entries, head on over to the Voting Chamber where you can cast your vote for your preferred hack to win a Community Trophy.

This year's Community Trophies are:
    To make things fair, only Public entries will be available to vote, as it would be pointless to vote for a partial-private entry when you have not experienced the game yourself.

DATE TBD - LIVE VIDEO PLAYTHROUGH
    Grab some popcorn as we go through all of this year's public entries, with live commentary. It doesn't matter what has been submitted, it will be played! Partial-private entries can choose to have their hack to be played or available YouTube videos to be streamed instead or nothing at all! An email will be going out soon about this.

SATURDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER - LIVE RESULTS SHOW
    The finale of the week is the heavily-anticipated results show. Join us as we announce and discuss this year's winning entries. For those who can't be with us, the show will be recorded, and forum threads (along with the Sonic Retro wiki article) will be updated soon after the show is over. Either way, don't miss it!

HOW TO GET INVOLVED
    All the hacks will be available to be accessed using the SSRG Forums. In order to vote, you will need an account. If you're reading this right now, why not save the time by registering right now! Live broadcasts will be done using the SAGE channels that will be available during the week.

That's all for now. More information will be announced when it's available. For now, prepare yourself for the Contest Week by watching this promotional video created by SAGE staffer Blyde:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDBhBFfBns[/youtube]

11. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    HOLY SHIT DID YOU GUYS SEE THAT PART ABOUT SONIC VR???????????? (Extreme off-topic, I know, but holy crap, that's just wow!)

Anyway, good to see some stuff finally happening in public. Can't await to see things roll soon!

12. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Woah, hold on a second. I don't remember signing up for this. I gave links to a few videos of my S3K hack on Youtube to be shown publically, not for a video playthrough of the hack to be shown to the public. If that's the case, please switch my hacks status to private as it's not ready to be shown to the public like that just yet.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I'm quite looking forward to watching a live playthrough of Chip McCallahan in Sonic the Hedgehog :v:.

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    No, I made a mistake on my end. Only public entries will be played, unless people don't mind. I'll email people over their preferences. In any case, YouTube videos being played would also be acceptable.

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Yeah, I REALLY hope there's more to it than that.

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Looking forward to Mushroom Zone SADX, but I'm kinda worried about Sonic VR. It looks good, yes, but really, I don't know where ColinC10's going with this.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic 3K Challenges in a dull, colourless environment I'm picturing. Hope to fuck I'm wrong, ColinC10 is like the Jesus of the hacking community to me.

18. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    It's not "dull", it's "minimalist"! :eng101:

I wasn't expecting a video of Sonic VR to be made, actually. None of my hacks really suit being shown in that way. Can you imagine a preview video of S3K: The Challenges? "Whoa, he's changed the text on the level select screen, and now the level timer is counting down instead of up!!!"

Now that you've seen a glimpse of it, I think it's only fair to give you a hint of what the game's about. It's basically this test hack (link broken, get it here), crossed with this platformer, and with a slight nod to this of course. Sound good? Or even more confused/disappointed? Either way, I've had a lot of fun making it, and it'll be ready to play in a couple of weeks.

19. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Oh, so it's like a Sonic N :v:

But no seriously, now that I know where you're going with this, it appears to be another enigmatic masterpiece. Games that intentionally give the middle finger to the laws of physics are always entertaining :)

(Edited before someone thought I liked Sonic 4 for its wonky physics)

20. Scott4

Scott4

Frederick, MD
    I was right!