don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    That playthrough of Classic City Escape is crazy! Haven't watched all of it since I don't want to spoil the surprise of the Truck flying out of no-where. Also I haven't been reading much of this thread, is the PC version officially announced which was rumoured a while back?

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Jumping physics look noticeably different to me. In the demo, jumping seemed to conform to that hoary old 3D Sonic limitation that jumps forced Sonic to slow way, way, way down. To me it looks like Classic Sonic keeps all of his forward velocity when he jumps, now. It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like bouncing off enemies even slows him down.

That should go a long way to making Classic Sonic way more controllable, I think.

Edit: Rewatching footage from the demo, yeah, I dunno. It might just be my eyes.

3. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Guess it might be my eyes too because I noticed a difference in the way Classic moves in the air. He also seems to pick up more speed going down slopes now. Though there are a lot of sections that still seem scripted.

Little things, but hopefully they can keep inching towards better handling for Classic.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Oddly, it seems that Sonic rolls better/smoother down rails than he does normally. Also, it looked like the player went out of his way to show that he needed to spin dash up steep slopes.

5. nicko

nicko

Look Alike
    University
    I hope this isn't the version of the stage they are adding to the final build because it just looks to easy compared to the E3 build.

Here are some things I have noticed which are different in the video:

At 1:01 There used to be boostpads there.

1:11 Where on earth are the platforms that you had to jump over before the truck hits you?

1:18 What happened to the Red platforms that used to be there in the E3 version??

1:34 The Boostpad wasn't there in the E3 build.

1:40? There were a lot more Robots in that area.

1:46 What happened to the floating one on the right which was in the E3 build.

2:04 The yellow spring wasn't there in the E3 build.

2:23 I believe there were platforms there with a 1UP and botomless pit, that has all changed now.

I hope this is actually an older build but unfortunately I believe this is the latest one.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    There weren't any playable demos of this stage for the public beforehand, were there? From what I remember, only Sega employees have played it to demonstrate. They could've dumbed it down for people just getting the hang of it in the demo.

7. glem3

glem3

Uh... sonic is on an unrelated platform with FBZ miles in the background. This is probably where the 3D effect would come in handy :P

8. serpx

serpx

Food for thought: Physics changes may have dictated level design changes. It'd been mentioned before how a small change in, say, Sonic's jump height could make drastic changes to gameplay.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Don't give anyone ideas. You know that if people start to believe that only to find out it's not true, they'll go into insane rage mode.

I really do think they just dumbed it down for the demo. Being a later stage in the game, I doubt they'd simplify it by that much.

10. serpx

serpx

With the game coming out in 3 months, I don't see why they'd make so many changes just for a demo. All those changes have to be tested. I highly doubt they'd spend so many resources just to make a demo easier.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Dude, it's less than three months from going golden. There's no way in the least they'd mess with the core of the gameplay this late in production, even if they wanted to. Too much to deal with if they change the values right now. Don't get your hopes up, what we got is what we get.

It sure is good to see all of these multiple paths in City Escape... does my heart good.

I'm so freakin' excited for this game. I can't fathom how excited I'm going to be as it gets closer, this one's going to be worth it.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't remember Sega ever saying what the order of the levels would be. City Escape could be the second zone you'll play in the game.
    The difficulty could have been changed for a number of reasons, like maybe they had to make the stage easier to balance the game.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I was just going by the idea that it's segmented up in chronological order of each game / era, so my guess was that it's the 5th stage or something of that sort. My guess for that came from the level list and how they were ordered, of course.

Then again, if they do jamble it up some and make it the second stage, I'm not upset at all with the changes. That's more than reasonable in that case.

14. The game will most likely start in the past with Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1 being the first level with each game following it. Mixing the stages doesn't sound like a good idea but I guess it could still happen.

15. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Sorry if this has been posted, but:
    [​IMG]
    Seems the lazer robots from the quick step sections are back and after Classic Sonic too, makes things a bit interesting...

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Mushroom Hill Zone came out of nowhere! Happy to know that the 3DS version isn't going to just be a portable retread of the main game. =) Looks snazzy, too!

17. Felik

Felik

That trailer... SO FUCKING DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

But Sonic 2's Death Egg again? Very disappointing. Come on SEGA we have enough of it already!

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yeah, I'm a little surprised (but not displeased mind you) that it's Sonic 2's Death Egg. It's a bit of a shame though, because S3K's Death Egg looked pretty cool in All-Stars Racing. Man, the first phase of the Doomsday boss was in there too.

19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Jumping does look better on that City Escape video, he also picked up speed while rolling downhill at the start of the video, it could be a scripted area though.

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.