don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I wasn't sure where this would be best to post, so I figured here would do no harm.

I've been recently looking into programming with graphic libraries and started working with graphics.h to see if it was of any use, I decided to make something to test its use so I made something that could render the map planes of a Kega Fusion save-state, it's a pretty useless program to be frank, but eh, some of you might find it interesting seeing what the entire map plane looks like of a Mega Drive game you disire.

Download

While I'm here, does anyone know of a good, easy and less restrictive graphics library? graphics.h is a little slow when it comes to placing pixels on screen, and having the program write a bitmap file and reloading it just seems impractical to me =$

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  3. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
  4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
  5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]

:v:

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Why, just why did I feel like someone would do this? Just why? =P

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    "Ooops! Don't get caught in propellers!"
    :v:

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh... oh god.

Super Chip I actually DID laugh out loud - I did not see that coming. Nor the time out! Best troll hack ever.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The out of time message was edited in, but maybe I should make it actually do that for the wiki upload.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    This is kinda a 'meh' hack.

Basically, I noticed some inconsistencies in the lighting on Sonic 2's Sonic sprite, so armed with the complex capabilities of Sonik Sprite, I fixed them. The lighting here is a tad more realistic than that of the original.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ufnbyfkxwr6fob
    So, yeah.

I might as well:

Shine on head same position in most animations.
    Forward facing head has the same lighting in each animation.
    Most shoes have orange shines.
    1 frame in walk animation had distorted mouth (look and you will not unsee), is now fixed.
    Ear height is a bit more consistent.
    A couple of other things. =/

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry for the lack of activity as of recently. Didn't really like coming here without much to show (plus I've been a bit put off commenting here since the site's started to load really slow on my computer). Anywho...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A complete Sonic 1 sheet for Cream the Rabbit. Will hopefully get to Sonic 2 since people have been asking for it before.

Special thanx to ChelseaCatGirl for helping with the sprites for this.

Also a quick sprite edit for demonstration:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x686gn

Might expand upon this and add some unique attributes if I figure out how to later on.

13. That's pretty neat, Psi! The way she moves at top speed is very interesting.

I will say though that she needs to be able to fly.

Other than that, nicely done!

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    That is an awesome sprite sheet! As for the rom itself, I have one small suggestion, and that is to make the oval in the title card orange. Cream's "accent color" (for lack of a better term) is usually that for visibility reasons.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    These sprites are great, some frames need more work but without a doubt the best 16bit Cream spites that matches the Megadrive art. Regarding the jump, it looks a bit weird compared to the rest of Cream's animations due to the lack of orange. I've always imaged Cream would look best if she had a similar look to Sonic's jump animation. Also with the running animation, I think that would look best when Cream becomes Super Cream but also the eyes in these frames need editing to look darker because the transition from walking to running looks odd in that Sonic 1 hack. The two damage frames also suffer from the same problem.

16. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    These look great! The only thing I would change is the fact that Cream doesn't look toward the screen during her ending pose. Other than that, very awesome!

17. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    In celebration of Sonic's 20th, and of the upcomming release of Sonic CD ports to modern consoles, I thought I would do a mini-hack. This mini-hack, called Sonic CD: The Alt OST, is just a simple, yet cool alternative OST for Sonic CD (the Sega/Mega CD version). This OST "hack" contains many appropriate modern songs, as well some other musical surprises. Included in the download are the music files and a cuesheet; not included is the Sonic CD iso. Find that on your own. Enjoy!

Download

Notes:
    Tested on Gens Re-Recording v11a, with Sega CD BIOS (U) 2.00
    Might not work on hardware, because the .iso and music is>99:00 long.
    [​IMG]
    Load the Rom from the .cue file
    Some tracks play the wrong songs, since the .iso is too big
    Emulator might lag when playing songs; to fix, let the song play until it remedies itself, and then load a savestate to before the music started.
    Past music is unmodified, for obivous reasons :P

One more thing; I had an idea. Just for fun, would Retro like to make and participate in a Sonic CD music hacking mini-contest? To see who can create the best alternate OST? Whether such a contest is made or not, I would like to see what other people have in mind for alternate OSTs for Sonic CD. Info on the track specs can be found here.

18. Spyro Cool

Spyro Cool

Hey! This is my first hack that I will post. It is only a palette and text hack.

It's called "Sonic and Jordan in Sonic 2". (If you haven't guessed, Jordan is a fan character of mine)

So far, I've changed Tails' palette and changed the options menu from saying "Sonic and Tails/Miles" and "Tails/Miles alone" to "Sonic and Jord" and "Jord alone"

But I was wondering if anyone show me a text editor (like the ones in Sonic Tweaker and Esrael Sonic Editor 2), but can also change the "Sonic and Miles 'Tails' Prower in" (before the title screen) and the "Tails completed Act 1"?

Here's the story (I'm just winging it really): When Tails was halfway through repainting Sonic's bi-plane, the "Tornado" from Red to Blue, the evil Dr Robotnik swooped in and kidnapped Tails (along with the Blue Paint bucket that he was holding). On the way back to the Death Egg, Robotnik's Egg Mobile has a small crash, and the blue paint covered Robotnik and some small parts of Westside Island.
    After hearing of Miles' capture, Sonic calls Ultra the Hedgehog and Jordan the Fox, and with Ultra unable to make it, Jordan must aid Sonic travelling to the Death Egg to defeat Robotnik and save Tails!

Thanks!

Anyway, here's the ROM so far.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WJHXSQ90

Password for file: jordanthefox

MEGAUPLOAD LINK WORKS NOW!!!

Things to fix:

1)Jordan's underwater palette for CPZ and ARZ
    2)Some things that say "Tails"

19. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    Aw, I thought from the title that this would be Sonic and Michael Jordan, and that it would be a parody of those old terrible celebrity-endorsement games like Shaq Fu or the Michael Jackson one.

This is a fine first effort though.

20. Spyro Cool

Spyro Cool

Thanks!

I think getting him in the game would be quite hard haha