don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Yeah, and there's a certain logic behind it, too. Turn on the RF filter on your emulator, providing you have one; the vertical line method blurs together into a single shade, while the dithered method leaves a noticeable fuzziness to said shade. Obviously this makes little difference in our age of pixel-perfect monitors and emulators, but back in the day when RF was bloody common, it was a nifty way to make more colors out of only 61.

At least, that's my observation on the matter.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm not really fond of either of the bigger versions. They're both quite poor to be honest.

The second one has a very sloppy and jaggy look in regards to the shading and artwork. There seems to be no attention to detail in the curves (very noticeable on the spines and belly) and the shading just seems slapped on there in very obvious steps with no attempt to hide them.

The third one has some poor dithering where you used the cross method in between shades but didn't know how to transition into the next shade. The result is just a mess of scattered of pixels.

I'm a little pressed on time so I can't give a lot of examples, but I suggest you take a look at The Pixel Knight's gallery for some great work with dithering.

With that all said, my obvious preference is the first one because it actually look decent.

3. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Indeed.. there's supposed to be a save menu there too, but my sprites were acting like dills so nothing is showing, and probably due to the nature that dialog thinger works. But yeah, eventually I'll get something working >_>

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You're supposed to see it with the NTSC filter enabled, then it looks as intended. As do the Vectorman games.

5. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    And I'm back with more delicious shit:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGewimDNK4[/youtube]

I am aware that the recording is absolute shit, but that's all I can get right now since my usual screen recording program is being a dick. Also, the music does sound slightly choppy in the video, but it's delicious in the real ROM. The bars also have a nice gradient thinger from red to blue when running at the full 60 FPS due to the way I wrote the decay code. (read: sub.b #$2, d0)

(Also, more delicious video.)

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Everyone loves doing some form of visual sound test these days. :P Nicely done.

7. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Thankies. I just did it to try and see if I can do it, and apparently I can =P (Also, FM 6 now actually works when DAC is off, previously I had code blocking it from working.)

Also, new BG for said menu (Conveniently it's just a palette swap on the BG I'm using on the debug menu, so I can basically skip decompressing art and re-loading it all to the VDP. I'm seriously turning into S3k programmers in terms of optimizations I'm doing in my code now >_>):
    [​IMG]

I still need to fix the font though, but I'm not entirely sure what I'll do about it yet. (Also yes I did get off my lazy ass and upload a decent video.)

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    How about..
    [​IMG]
    ..?

9. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Hmm, that's an interested approach. While it really does work nicely for where there's brighter areas in the BG (basically most of the parts) I'm not too sure how it'd work out for the darker areas. Maybe I just need to find a BG that has a uniform set of colours, but thanks for the suggestion! I'll try and see what I can whip up.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but since these sound players work by appending the music data to the end of the ROM (don't they?), wouldn't it be a good idea to make use of "lock-on technology" for them?

Technically, the results would be the same, but it would allow to have interchangeable playlists for every version and player ever, without the need of building new ROMs.

Also, I can't believe I didn't remember the realistic palmtrees in that Sonic 3 background... Wow.

11. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    What I did to make the text readable on the 3C level select was to take the existing palette and just knock one level of each colour (e.g. $8A6 would become $684).
    [​IMG]
    Obviously that's the save palette, rather than the competition one as you're using, and it's not quite as pretty as the original, but the same technique might be effective. I also tried knocking two levels off, which improved contrast further, but the right hand side started to look too brown IMO.

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Considering it's for his actual ROM hack, and hence it saying "SMPS Test" and not "SMPS Player", this is kinda superfluous.

And no, they only work like that if you program them to.

13. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Meh, as stated like above by Cinossu, this is indeed my romhack, and I didn't feel like coding a standalone SMPS player since it's been done more than a billion times. But if you guys really like this.. maybe I will =P

Thankies, I think I'll try that later today and edit this post with the results. But for now, I'm off to go to a garage sale with a friend >_> (7 AM anyone?)

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oops, so I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

In any case, I think the lock-on idea is a bit underrated outside of S&K, specially now that there's no need for physical cartridges anymore. It's like the DLC of yesteryear, and still has a lot of potential. Not only for adding songs to a hypothetical player, but combined with stuff like the Retro Channel, it could even lead to additional challenges with their own scoreboards, and stuff like that.

...Okay, I'll stop daydreaming now. =P

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I think I'm the only person that's actually implemented lock-on in a hack (Blue Sphere Plus).

16. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    [​IMG]
    It's a Java remake which eventually will play exactly like Chips Challenge. When that is done, I will go on and create a multiplater version of it, where people can win by having the other people killed, find the exit first etc.

17. Master3k

Master3k

I decided to get back to S1 hacking again, using the ReadySonic source.

[​IMG]

C&C please.

(yeah, copypasted my post from Retrohack :v:)

EDIT:Although, I still have to change it a bit. The water takes up too much space. :P

18. Whatabout a nice blue, like this:
    [​IMG]

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    1994 Josh, You're Welcome:

[​IMG]

20. Master3k

Master3k

Lol. Gotta hate those Carnival Night barrels. =P