don't click here

How/where to go about getting a GBA game rom dumped?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by AnimatedAF, Aug 2, 2011.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

So my girlfriend is a big Rayman fan and for a laugh picked up this Rayman bootleg game for the GBA a little while back. here is some gameplay footage we recorded of it from a game boy player.

As far as we know no ROM dump of this exists and because she also admins for a Rayman community and wiki she would really like to get it dumped. Where and who (preferably in the UK) could help out out? No idea how this kind of thing works so would love to get some advice on how to go about this. Ta!

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Unrelated, but this has to be the worst Rayman pirate I've ever seen. And worst of all, it appears to be German (the title screen's text translates into "The sunshine on the journey" and it even has a typo (it should be Sonnenschein)).

Also, after some google, I found a tutorial, which seems to be broken right now, so I had to use Google's cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rTwcuo1XDgcJ:teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php
    Hardwarewise, you will need a GBA flash card, aka slot-2 flash card.

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Haha yeah it's absolutely awful, I wouldn't be surprised if this started as something else and they just slapped Rayman sprites in to it later on.
    The only other Rayman pirate we found on ebay was Rayman Advance 2 for the Game Boy Color (derrp) which was just a ROM of Rayman Forever 2 on a cart, right down to it having a cracktro.
    Thanks for the link, will have a look into it.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Level 2 looks like it uses Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos backgrounds (a SNES game... the pirate Sonic 4 is based on it), so if it is a hack, it's a well gutted one.

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

By slot 2 that doesn't mean using a DS right? because unfortunately this cart does not work on the DS, only on the GBA SP (and I assume the original GBA) and game boy player for Gamecube.

@Black Squirrel Yeah we noticed the Speedy Gonzales backgrounds too. I'm going to bet this is something of a hack of a hack of a hack in some fashion.

6. sasuke

sasuke

Do you mean it doesn't boot on the DS, or that the DS menu doesn't recognize a cart being plugged in?

If the former, it can most likely be dumped by a DS using a flash cart. Otherwise, I don't know. Maybe it exploits something that the older GBA BIOS' have but the DS doesn't in order to boot.

7. Flygon

Flygon

I've been able to dump GBA games to my Nintendo DS flash carts. Mind whacking me onto any instant messenging contacts?

8. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    Just to remind everyone, as with any unlicensed pirate game, the cart might have anti-dump measures. Haven't heard about such measures being on a GBA cart though. Better be careful by what means you used to dump the ROM, in order to get a good ROM dump.

GagaMan, if you have or can borrow a friend's DS flashcart, then dumping the gba cart should be easy. Download and run on the DS flashcart an app called SGBAD, while having the GBA cart in the slot 2 cart. Follow the directions, read the readme, and if all goes well, a .gba rom image of the cart should appear on the root of the ds flashcart.

9. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

It recognizes the cart, brings up the game boy logo, then just a black screen after that.