don't click here

New Sonic Spinball Beta Footage!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Jul 30, 2011.

1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I recently came across this Sega promotional video. It was bundled with the April 1993 issue of the Spanish gaming magazine "Hobby Consolas". There's tons of game footage in there, but the interesting part is the Sonic Spinball footage, at about 5 minutes, 32 seconds in. There are some major differences between the version shown in the video and the version we got.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL7hI24WZks#t=05m32s[/youtube]

Obvious differences include:

- Cutscene of Robotnik looking at his monitor as Sonic advances through the game, a la SegaSonic Arcade
    - Mobius loop in the Toxic Caves minecart
    - Different sprites on the wall of the steam room in Lava Powerhouse
    - Robo-boiler boss layout slightly different, background very different. It looks almost like it was originally going to be in The Machine Zone.
    - Different scoreboard graphics in the bonus stages

And there are probably other differences that I didn't notice. Start video dissection immediately!

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, that's where I took these from.

3. Wind

Wind

Interesting video. Makes me want to play some Sonic Spinball again.

4. ManicRemix

ManicRemix

Fact: You're reading this Member
    The other games made me laugh. That just shows how different things are now.

5. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Nice to see some beta material of Spinball in motion.

Holy...

Your site's still around?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Like a time capsule from the early internet.

Regarding the footage, make sure to compare it with the existant Sonic Spinball proto rather than the final version. There's stuff in there like the non-Flicky bluebirds, that is present in the known proto.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh man, I remember visiting your site well before I joined Sonic CulT. I thought parts of the footage looked familiar, but I knew I hadn't see any prototype videos other than the earliest one (the one showcased along side the SatAM game). Good to know I saw 'em at ICE's site.

8. Xilla

Xilla

You can do that in the final too, handy cos that way you only have to flip one of the switches.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Never take this down, Iceknight. I remember your page from ages ago, always one of my favorites.

10. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It also shows a different lifebar in Aladdin.

More impressively, it still renders fine in all browsers (pixel perfect even). That's some pretty complex shit you got there.

and the banners at the bottom, holy shit.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Glad you guys like my prehistoric site! I've just noticed that I still have the minigames that I made for the most relevant updates, maybe I should resurrect them from hell...

Now going back on topic... Besides the different bonus table that may be actually a non-playable animation rendered on an Amiga (judging by the framerate, among other things), is this build the same as the earliest proto we have?

Also, and while we're on the subject of Spanish promotional videotapes, has the Shinobi III proto footage been captured yet? I remember that another one of these videos showed the infamous tigers inside the caves.

12. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Dude! I remember fussing over that Buzz Bomber mini-game just to see those Sonic 2 sketches. So much clicking, but so rewarding. People should do that more. =)