don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If Oshima was partially responsible for the stretchy-bendy SA Sonic that every classicfan hates so dearly, I will lol so hard. Oh wait, looks like he was.

+ - Lololol~  

Also, thank you Ritz for making the SCD connection about that picture. I knew there was something awfully fishy/familiar about that illustration. It's quite neat. Very obscure, but neat nevertheless.

Also, Oshima shouldn't be that hard to access. I would state how but honestly IceKnight (below) is right, and I don't want millions bothering him.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Dude, seriously, this message board can be read by anybody in the internet and we don't want Oshima to get constantly pestered by random people we don't even know, do we?

The less clues we give about how to contact him, the better.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    There's still the possibility that it was some kind of joke that later went out of hand. Or that it was his parody on Uekawa's drawings... Right? Right?

4. It's possible. He said 10 years ago, so assuming he wasn't just approximating then that would be 2001, quite a while after the redesigns.

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oshima didn't give much information, so just about anything at this point is speculation.

6. 10 years ago, 2001... Give or take a year this was definitely when Adventure was happening. No speculation about it.

EDIT: Fuck it, to save pages of pointless discussion I'll go ahead and ask him.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I think it deserves a thread all to itself! It's the most detailed rendering of an actual Sonic locale we have, and to think it was over something so obscure is pretty mind-blowing. Who was the artist? It could only have been Yasushi Yamaguchi, given his credit as "Special Stage Designer" in SCD and his affinity for mechanical design. It even has his race cars. So where in Sega World was this used? What is "Planet Mega"? Where did the image even come from?

Why isn't there a single citation in this thread?

8. Here's your first citation :eng101:

Ohshima Naoto

NewSonic was planned before Mr.Uekawa took charge of NewSonic.
    It is what I drew before NewSonic appears.

Jackskellinghog (Me)

That makes a lot of sense, so this picture was the planning for Sonic's change that would eventually become Mr.Uekawa's, brilliant that solves a lot of problems.

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    So he also did the cover art for S3DB JP and the G Sonic instruction booklet illustrations, then?

That's, uh, sort of disappointing! He ruined the character and made a break for it. That wacky man.

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Now now ladies, handbags at twenty paces.

Whether the style is liked or not, it's nice to know the history of how it got from A to B, and seeing one of the midway points. Think of it like a beta, but for artwork.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome info. Could you perhaps ask him for a fan interview in the (near?) future?

Also, I think this discovery deserves its own topic.

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    aIGHT, that shit looks like it belongs in an Egoraptor cartoon. HEELLL YEAH.

What interests me more are those little pockets of red on his nose and cheek. What's up with that?

13. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I actually own this book and know where it is. It's a little damaged, though. Maybe I'll be able to scan it eventually.

14. GHFan

GHFan

I have a copy in great condition that I found at Half-Price Books. I'll dig it out so I can scan it. It's actually quite well done.

15. GHFan

GHFan

Found it! Now I'll get scanning.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So I've been talking with Oshima as well, and he sent me this:
    [​IMG]

Has this been seen elsewhere?

17. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Well it's nice to see that he's the one that suggested the Nike grin.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It appears that Oshima was in part responsible for destroying Sonic's style come Sonic Adventure. I'll be damned. Cool pic though

19. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I really like this picture actually, it looks pretty cool and I love seeing Sonic drawn with sharp teeth or long canine / fangs. I don't know why but it always appealed to me and is partially why I really love the illustrations in the Sonic 1 Manga. You can see this picture in particular is a huge hybrid between Classic and Adventure Sonic. He has huge Adventure Sonic hands, the Nike grin and everything else is Classic. I do find it pretty ironic and hilarious that the creator of Sonic himself also helped in changing his image later in the years. Personally I'm fond of all styles of Sonic but his Classic design is my favorite. Anyone know what the picture says? I can't read Japanese but would love to know what he wrote in this picture.