don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest 2011

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    I'm hoping to submit Mighty Adventure this year.. although, I've been saying that for the past 2 years.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Good news! We have a new email address for you to submit your entries. If you did submit to the Gmail address, you will have to send us it again with the new address.

hackingcontest[@]candiraver[.]com

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a reminder that there is nearly one month left before the contest deadline on July 16th at 00:00 MST. If you plan on submitting, you should get to it as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment. Remember that you can submit an incomplete piece to us and provide further updated builds after it until the updates deadline which will be one week after the submissions deadline.

After that, our team of judges will review all the submissions and allocate our trophies to the winning hacks. This should take a few weeks, but due to the nature of this contest and the judges, no deadline can be set for this. Once we are ready, we'll have our Contest Week where you, the community, will be able to download the public submissions and cast votes for the Community Trophies. There will probably be a few activities planned out that you can get involved in (including mini-contests) and at the end, there will be the Live Results Show presented by the judging team where we, along with a few others, will discuss the winning entries and more. You could say that it is like SAGE for hacking in a way. More information on this will be available once the Contest Week is completely finalised.

So, if you plan on submitting, time is running out. Submit as soon as possible and remember, there is time to update your entries.

4. Just emailed my entry. I hope you enjoy it :)

EDIT: Sending again because I didn't follow the format on the first page.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I replied to you about that. Using the format given makes things a lot easier for us, plus it lets us know important information regarding the public availability of the submission and categories.

6. Sorry, I'm an idiot lol. I just saw the email on fired away. Re-sent you the stuff now.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    So far there have been at least seven entries to the contest. With that being said, this year's contest deadline is July 16th and usually, the deadline has never been that early. So, I'm going to put it forward for some feedback if extra time (such as another week) would be much helpful for everybody intending to submit to the contest.

Your feedback is important and helpful. Remember that these submissions will have another week after the deadline to finalise their submission builds for judging.

8. Scott4

Scott4

Frederick, MD
    Latios in S3K, Brick in Sonic 1, Unnamed S3K Hack
    That image is unreal.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Thanks for all the submissions so far. Because the contest deadline this year can be "too early" for some people, we have decided to increase the deadline by a week. Again, current submissions still can update builds until the updates deadline.

The Submissions Deadline is now July 23rd and the Updates Deadline is now July 30th.

Enjoy the extra time.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    For the entire year I have done work Flicky Turncoat DX, and another project to boot. (The Sonic 2 version)

However, while they are way better than what I have sent last year, I feel they are unfinished. Should I still submit them?

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Is there an estimated date for the announcement of the results?

12. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Well, I've submitted Lunacy two years in a row (three, counting this year) in horribly incomplete states. I'm not saying that you should, especially if you wouldn't be satisfied doing so, but there are some crazy people that do submit unfinished hacks.

(And of course, the debatable fact that a hack never is truly finished)

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Any work you submit is acceptable. Some submissions in the past have only consisted of one level and they still won trophies.

As usual, nothing can be promised. I would like to say "at least August or September", but it depends on when all the judges have finished looking at the builds and come together to finalise the winning list. There's also the Community Trophies which will be available somewhere for people to vote on, but that hasn't been finalised yet.

And remember, all submissions have to be in by July 23rd in order take part in the contest. So, if you still haven't submitted yet, at least put something in soon, because you can still submit updated builds until July 30th.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Mhm, alright. Thanks for the heads-up.

15. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Out of curiousity, do most hacks come from SSRG members or Sonic Retro members (as in, Sonic Retro only, or both Sonic Retro and SSRG)?

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Both forums have a contest thread with the same content and updates. Various people have submitted to the contest, and it doesn't matter where they came from. The information provided here is public and anyone is welcome to submit.

Only a few days left to go.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    about the line asking for the file in the template. Does that mean we have to upload our hack somewhere, or can we attach it to the e-mail?

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm assuming uploading it to Mediafire or some other file hosting website, since that's what I did. I do believe my hack was pretty damn "simple". My hack last year was. :v: Oh well, can't wait until we see the results. :)

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You can attach it or upload it, your choice. Attaching is preferred but a few submissions have been uploaded elsewhere.

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    alright. I'll just go finish up the e-mail right now.

sent