don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Okay... Sorry for being so brash. We've exchanged shit at each other, my bad. I just was sick of watching the sprite argument go on (and thought using "superfluously unnecessary" was unnecessary in and of itself) and was insulted that he was disregarded for noticing something more relevant to the actual game.

Well... Sad day. I can spin dash jump from small platforms on 360 but not PS3. This must be fixed, I say!! :argh:

2. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

So, Metal Sonic is the boss of "Chemical Plant Zone".
    Pissed, Sonic CD gets absolutely no representation.

Seriously, a sonic CD boss in a Sonic 2 level? The physics of sonic CD don't really mesh with Sonic 2, and since we're using the bouncy bouncy hedgehog engine that still has some noticeable bugs I really can't see this being an enjoyable boss. It will probably feel like a character race like Sonic Rivals or something, not an actual "omg gotta save Amy or else I'll die" kind of deal.

oh well, this is SEGA. I'm used to being disappointed as a hardcore sonic fan.

Chemical Plant Zone looks fun though.

edit: Oh, and the demo should be deactivated for you guys by now....unless you disconnect from xbox live and roll your date back (lol)

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Is it just me, or does Chemical Plant look a little dark, lighting-wise?

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Chemical Plant zone looks glorious. I was really surprised to see they put a dark twist on it and made it more like Stardust Speedway BF, Scrap Brain, and Eggmanland. Makes me wonder what twists we'll have in the other zones, since it seems the zones picked will have a lot of variety in them for fan appeal. Maybe we'll see some Twinkle Park in Speed Highway or something? I'm glad to see Metal Sonic in it too, he really fits there. The boss looks like fun too, he seems to be more powerful in his attacks, and the platforms longer, possibly implying the race is longer. It also looks like he has his smaller Classic design, even Metal looks adorable.

Good job SEGA. Still rooting for a PC version. :thumbsup:

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Boy, I was surprised too! Now we have hardcore Sonic fans thinking that Stardust Speedway is still Chemical Plant and that Chemical Plant is Crisis City. They exceeded my expectations again with CPZ and it looks great, but I think we've all grossly underestimated just how disappointingly homogenous this level roster is going to be.

Calling it now, Sky Sanctuary is going to be confused for Seaside Hill sans water when the first screens hit.

6. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Metal Sonic fits in the stage he was created for.
    (reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZB6uMCkVL0#t=1m34s)
    The battle with Metal Sonic is very heavily rooted with Stardust Speedway. You have Sonic going into Little Planet, he finds this girl hedgehog Amy on the planet, who is kidnapped by one of Eggman's mechs. Sonic proceeds onto the speedway to save her.

Plus, you have to consider the logistics of it all. Sonic is Going Into the Past. Since WHEN in the past did Metal Sonic battle Sonic at Chemical Plant? Did Metal Sonic get the ability to travel through time or something? Let's face the facts: Sega couldn't be half-assed making both chemical plant zone and stardust speedway, and now Sonic Team is just slapping the two together into a single clusterfuck. This is the reason Chemical Plant Zone has a dark twist that you see in the screenshots, they're lazy and trying to appeal to TWO Different Games with one single level.
    "you want a sonic 2 level? You want a sonic cd level? Here's a sonic 2 level with a sonic CD atmosphere, have fun guyz" -Sega

I'm going with Ritz, this level roster is very disappointing. They had a chance to appeal to Sonic CD fans and they blew it and slapped him in a Sonic 2 level.
    At this rate, we'll be seeing Perfect Chaos in Seaside Hill, watch it happen folks, you saw it here first.

I'm just going with what it says on Sonic Retro: "Metal Sonic races Classic Sonic through the blazing ruins of the Chemical Plant Zone, harkening back to the iconic race against him in the bad future of Sonic CD‘s Stardust Speedway Zone"

So? Robots don't age (Well, they do, but over hundreds of thousands of years). Metal Sonic wouldn't have changed much between the present/future. If the race occurred in the past, you might have an argument. Metal Sonic displayed no time travelling abilities in Sonic CD whatsoever, nor is there any mention of it in the instruction manual.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That is Stardust Speedway he's in, dude. Look closer.

Please don't make me have to draw red circles for this.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You first see Metal Sonic in the prsent when he kidnaps Amy. Then you fight him in the future.

So...Yes?

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    If we're going to be funny about it, Sonic totally fought a metal Sonic in Chemical Plant:
    [​IMG]
    Same tiles!

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Surely it's logical to have Sonic go to Chemical Plant and then warp right to Stardust Speedway to fight Metal Sonic? Sonic is just travelling through different time periods and thus different places... you've all played Shadow The Hedgehog, right? In the same way he goes from Green Hill Zone to Chemical Plant- both different places on totally different islands at different times.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member

Gene was trolling. He's proven to be a sensible and decidedly non-retarded individual in the past!

12. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Fair enough. If that is Stardust Speedway, I'm okay with it. But Sonic Retro claims its in fact still Chemical Plant Zone. We'll have to wait and see for more info I guess.

@Ritz. I laughed. thanks for that. (PS: that's silver sonic but you probably knew that lol)

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I meant the subliminal nods. I know good and well it's Chemical Plant. :ssh:

I personally love the idea that SEGAs merging the level ideas together. It's making the level different than what I originally played on the console.

To each his own. ;)

14. Well, I rolled the date back and the demo still works just fine. I can tell they tried really hard to make sure we couldn't play it anymore. :specialed:

I wish there were higher quality scans of CPZ. I posted some shots in the IRC yesterday but the quality was abysmal.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The wait is over!

[​IMG]
    I'll send you the bill later.

Sega paid more attention to the games than you hardcore fans, man.

16. So they didn't forget about CD after all, that's good. I still wish it was more than just a boss fight though, even if it is one of the most (if not THE most) epic boss fights of the classic era.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Metal Sonic race definitely takes place on Stardust Speedway.

Also, more proof of the game coming to PC:
    http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/07/sega-e-mail-reveals-sonic-generations-for-pc-for-the-umpteenth-time/

18. I feel a lot better knowing that Stardust Speedway is in fact there :)

Not a proper level, but it's still good that it was included as a boss fight.

19. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I noticed off the bat it was Stardust speedway, I'm more surprised a lot of people didn't. It might be because of magazine grainy quality and the fact both take place at stormy dark nights, but SEGA definitely paid attention to make it Stardust Speedway and not Chemical Plant. The platforms you run across are fairly accurate 3D renditions of the platforms in the Metal Sonic race, they have those road-wire things, the lamps, the background shows some more lit-up buildings, among other visual details.

It might be more evident when we see it more clearly, and I understand the reason people were mistaken, but SEGA is paying more attention to close details than many fans are giving them credit for.

20. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    I think Chemical Plant/Stardust Speedway/Chemical Speedway looks amazing. I actually like that they're mashing up similar zones, because it means we'll get more bang for our buck level-wise.

But jeez, some people really seem determined to hate this game for some reason. Everybody was saying they wanted the Sonic CD Metal Sonic fight in this game, and now that they've revealed what looks like exactly that, you're pissed just because it might still be labelled "Chemical Plant?" Does the presence or absence of a separate title card really determine whether you love it or hate it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.