don't click here

Why is this shit in my Sonic Mega Collection?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tanks, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Tanks

Tanks

Did not know this. Well that's cool just the same. that covers 7 of the 9 unlisted games. Which probably means they were left for Eraser and Chaotix since I highly doubt SegaSonic got very far in the development process to be one of them...

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hunh, was Eraser supposed to be in?

3. Tanks

Tanks

Wait. Sonic Blast is in here. Shit. Were there GG games in the museum as well?

EDIT: also yes, according tot he wiki it was considered.

Edit 2:

Anyway, here's what I found in the GG section:

blast
    labyrinth
    mean bean machine
    drift 2
    sonic and tails 2 (assuming Japanese)
    sky patrol
    sonic 2
    sonic 1
    sonic chaos
    sonic triple trouble
    sonic drift
    sonic & tails (assuming Japanese)
    sonic spinball
    tail's adventure

The Wiki says only these ones though:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Sonic Drift 2: Sonic Drift 2 keeps its multiplayer mode.
    Tails' Skypatrol
    Tails Adventure

So either they're unused or part of the museum. I don't know.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Isn't that the Japanese storyline?

This might be the only time we've seen an official romanization of the "Raksin" element. Somebody tell the fan translation guys. =|

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    If I recall, Streets of Rage and Bonanza Bros. were scrapped in the US version to avoid getting a T rating.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Spot on. They were going to be included, but weren't to keep the rating down. They wanted a U for Universal, which is exactly what it got. Funny actually, that I have shed loads of Wii and Gamecube games, as well as DS and GBA, and this is the only game using this rating system- it uses the TV/Film rating, rather than the 3+ or 'E' for 'Everyone' that games usually have.

I would imagine because they were trying to adhere to a different ratings board, those games had to be scrapped over here. Shame, I had to get SoR on my virtual console in the end.

Also, in before someone says we didn't get our money's worth; I got the game 2 days before the official launch for £19.99. At the time, brand new games were £29.99 in stores, sometimes up to £34.99.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Isn't that another rumor? Or do we have a citation for it this time?

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm sure they mentioned this somewhere. Also, various sources have backed it up previously- the fact that the games left out were ones which would also have risen the rating give a likely indication that whereever this is from, it's probably true.

Sure it was actually said somewhere though.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I just know that I haven't seen any official statement regarding this, and thus shouldn't be taken as fact. Somebody please prove me wrong.

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Sonic Heroes' PC version uses them; can't get much easier than that. : V

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I thought any game that has some form of video content has to be rated by the BBFC. Of course, I'm just guessing here, but it is interesting as to why it was rated U by the BBFC instead of getting a standard PEGI rating.

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I can't imagine that's the case- Sonic Mega Collection wasn't, and that had video content. I guess it depends on the criteria for the game, and what SEGA want it classified as. One rating might say 7+, the other might say U based on the same criteria, so it's better to go with what looks best, I'd imagine.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Didn't E-10+ exist at the time of Gems? It first showed up in late 2004, and Gems came out in the latter half of 2005... I bring this up, because all the SoR games were ultimately rated E-10+ when rereleased digitally. Hell, SoR2 apparently doesn't even have the 10+, it's flat-out E.

Bonanza Bros.' removal in particular was just baffling. There is nothing in that game that could've even remotely warranted a T rating - in fact, the digital rereleases are all rated E.

I know the official word was that they were all cut to avoid a T rating, but I'm calling pure bullshit on that claim.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Again, how do you guys know that's "the official word"? Where did anybody at SEGA say such a thing?

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/sonic-gem...n/630353p4.html
    To add insult to injury, Shadow came out with an E-10+ rating not a few months after Gems.

So yeah, the "T-rating" part is an extrapolation that everyone's misremembering, but Sega said something more or less equivalent.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thank you so much for that quote.

One still has to wonder about the removal of Bonanza Bros., but the fact that the characters use guns to dispose of the security guards could have made them rate it E-10+, just like they did to Shadow the hedgehog.

17. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Speaking of that SMC prototype that drx released, I remember going back to it to see what versions of the ROMs they used and I noticed something weird with Blue Spheres.

A repost from the Supreme Knowledge topic:

Can anyone investigate the knu_p1 thing? I think someone managed to decompress the .dat files from Mega Collection before. Pretty curious as to why...

18. Xilla

Xilla

The English translated hints in the Japanese version also include instructions on how to unlock Ash. Guess they just did a straight translation of the Japanese hints without taking any changes into account (they're full of Engrish, the Bonanza Bros rake-bullet-invincibility glitch contains the instructions: "Make your character fat first". WTF)

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Only thing I could think of is knu_p1 has the 4049 version of Sonic 1 (JP special release), and knu_p1_us has the 1009 version (general release), or vice-versa. There's absolutely no difference between the two with regards to Blue Spheres, so they removed one of them.

What you could do is rename knu_p1_us to e.g. the filename of Sonic 3, then run Sonic 3 and dump the memory. I don't know if there's any tools available to do this, so you might have to dive in with a hex editor.

20. Tanks

Tanks

I think I'll up some of those sofdec files later then. Maybe someone can get these recorded via heroes PC. :P