don't click here

Sonic 3's World Premiere footage discovered!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Apr 30, 2011.

1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    The nice folks at http://video-game-ephemera.com have recently made a blog post about something which seems to have gone under the radar until now: the world debut of Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

Here's the footage! I recommend saving it on your hard drive, as Youtube videos tend to be short- lived. I think that's the final game in the footage, but I may be wrong. Keep your eyes peeled for small changes that could indicate a beta. Also, I've never seen those Sonic 3 pins before. Rare!

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    There's a man in a top hat playing Sonic 3.

Now THAT is classy. Verryy classy.

Unfortunately Sonic 3 was not the biggest game of all time, but it's wonderful. Oh and stuff people won't find for weeks and months? Try years.

3. Or YEARS.

Its amazing to see the public trying the game for the 1st time.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    To me, nothing looks out of place from the final so its all final footage. but that guy playing sonic 3 with a top hat and that old sonic 3 commecrial made this video great.

5. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Gentlemen... I am disappointed.

This video was released two months ago, and you're just now picking up on this? Regardless, this is a way past cool discovery.

I never imagined that I would actually see footage of the Sonic balloon or an old man in a suit and top hat playing Sonic 3 for the first time in gaming history. This must be archived for future generations.

Oh and look at that. A Sonic 3 promotional poster. Do we have a scan of that somewhere?

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Seeing all these people's hearts warming up at the first time playing S3, and the massive amounts of popularity the game seemed to have, it's a bit awe-inspiring. It's hard to believe at the time, Sonic was just as massive as CoD and Halo is now; especially since I've spent my entire life seeing Sonic practically be the underdog of video games.

7. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    In the video at 8:25, Sonic actually could skip the avalanche part in Ice Cap Zone, I didn't notice any other differences with the final game, if it actually has they are really subtle. =P

By the way, great footage. :)

8. That commercial definitely played in Texas back when this came out. I remember it fondly.

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    For the record I saw the video when it was first posted but the whole thing almost put me to sleep. I fast forwarded through most of it because it was really boring and not terribly interesting.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I've never seen this commercial, but I do remember my first time hearing about and playing Sonic 3. Good times. :,)

11. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Twice as big as Sonic 2? While S3&K deserves that claim, Sonic 3 is way too short to deserve that honor.

12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    You sometimes forget just how massive Sonic really was! The Trocadero in London was once known as Segaworld for fucks sake! And there was a massive Sonic statue above the entrance. That's one prime piece of real estate don't forget, and I really don't see any modern video game hero getting a place up there.

That video reminded me just how hyped I was for Sonic 3 at the time. As time has gone on, I've come to prefer 1, 2 and CD, but at the time Sonic 3 was the best thing in the world to me, as was the wonderful unexpected surprise that was Sonic and Knuckles a few months later. 1994 was a good year for me, and a very expensive one for my folks! The whole S3K experience together cost £100! Although I suspect mine was used because I recall I had a full save game on the data select screen when I first switched it on. I DID delete the fucker straight away though, I had alot of integrity for a 9 year old.

13. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Well, Sonic 3 was supposed to be all of S3K originally, so I guess they just kept that claim despite cutting so much.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, nicely spotted. So that's not the final version.

15. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Hey, thanks! I was looking carefully some strange stuff there, when I saw that suspicious thing. By the way, like I said, maybe there are even more things that I'm missing.

16. serpx

serpx

I just foamed nostalgia out of my ears. That's how hard it hit me. Wow look at the old cars haha. I miss the 90s.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I don't miss the cars, they were shite mostly. Apart from the Beemers and Mercs.

I DO miss the music though, and the pudding basin haircuts.

18. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    That is the same as Sonic 3 final. The avalanche doesn't have any effect on movement in regular S3. It's S3K that changes it.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Someone send this video to Iizuka. Might jog his memories of what made Sonic enjoyable to everyone.

I also hope that kid got good grades!

20. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Tiddles' is right, I was mistaken probably because I didn't touch Sonic 3 alone for some long time. My bad.