don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Yeah, this game is unplayable. I died four times on act 2 from being near spikes, once from touching the topleft corner of a moving platform, and then finally once inexplicably after I beat the boss.

2. It works fine for me, I enjoyed it!
    Although I HATE the Desert boss.

Oh and there are various glitches if you use the gamepad, such as it won't un-pause unless you press Enter on your keyboard / won't unpause at all (the whole game locks up) if you accidentally pause when the title card is on screen.

3. Deef

Deef

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    How have you got passed it? I haven't figured a way to hit him.

5. sonicyoda

sonicyoda

You don't hit him, you lure him over the bombs so he sucks them up and gets injured.

6. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Using Chimpo's mirror (with music pack), I haven't been able to get any background music whatsoever. What's the problem, man? I can't play a Sonic game without music, it feels too weird otherwise.

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I tried that but they weren't reaching high enough because I was getting pwned by Robotnik. I'll give it a shot again.

8. Deef

Deef

Insta-shield niggles.

· Doesn't increase collision hitbox
    · Doesn't return control to the player after a rolling jump. Please fix this one? It's like the most important part of the move.
    · Button 2 won't activate it lol
    · Very glad to see it's in, but it's barely an insta-shield :(

Good work though, I haven't had time to do much more than get a feel for its motion.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    This is the biggest problem for me - all the time I'm using it to hit enemies early only to find out that I'm somehow missing them. And dying. I'll give more in-depth feedback when I play it some more.

10. Felik

Felik

It's just impossible for me to beat Luster Lake. Too many glitches.
    Looks like that zone haven't been tested at all.

11. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Basically, you gotta lure eggman to the other side of a bomb, when he goes over it you gotta walk into the suction underneath the bomb so he continues to stay in place. If you do it right you wont get hurt.

@Felik
    What glitches are you talking about? I got through there just fine with minor issues.

Finished the game, and though I wont spoil anything. Fuck Hez, that was one of the most epic final bosses and retardedly hard.... In a good way. Too bad I never found that secret ring :psyduck:

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This game is oodles of fun. Been playing for the past hour and 30 minutes. What a blast!

Thank God somebody mentioned a way to defeat the desert boss though. Been stuck on that for 30+ minutes. If this was a real Genesis game, I could honestly see someone stating this as this game's "CNZ barrel".

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Got up to Luster Lake. The game was fun until this point. I lost my lives at the boss, but am totally unwilling to replay that super-long first act to retry.

And that's with a control scheme that confuses my hands. (I'd love to be able to remap WASD as my directions)

14. With the bosses I seem to either really enjoy them or despise them with my whole being. Hazel Hills Zone boss was awesome, as was Crystal Caverns Zone and Gigapolis Zone. Every boss afterwards was awful, though with the water levels it was mostly due to bugs and wonky underwater physics rather than the concept itself. Dusty Dunes boss can go fuck itself though. I didn't get to the last zones boss because it won't load + - Death Egg Zone   , so I can't comment on that, nor if there are any secret bosses if you get all chaos emeralds.

Another bug I had, in Crystal Caverns Zone Act 1 there's a part with crushers, and when one of them tried to crush me I was sent into the ceiling, were I walked around inside until getting crushed by another crusher coming back up sending me through the lava above. I had a good chuckle at that.

EDIT: I couldn't download the music last night due to the internet crapping out mid-download, so I thought I'd try today, and it seems you've replaced the Music-Only with both Sonic Classic and the music together by accident. Eh, I guess I'll just get that one.

15. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I agree that boss sucked ass, It's actually pretty funny how Hez remade a joke of a boss from Sonic 1 into a Doombringer when mixed with underwater. To be honest it wouldn't be THAT bad if the insta-shield extended your hit box more-so. The only real good thing I find insta-shield for now is that one orbit badnik in Crystal Caverns rather than that it isn't too helpful.

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Also, about the music.

Normalise that shit.

Seriously. I had to turn the music level down to about 60-ish because the music in general was drowning the sounds out too much. I get to Luster Lakes with my music level still set pretty low, and it's drowning shit out again (no pun intended). I've just opened up the music folder and gave it a listen, volume levels are all over the place. Bad Hez. Bad.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Ifr running the program as admin "fixes" it, then the program is trying to do something stupid, e.g. writing to C:\Program Files when it should be saving to %APPDATA%. A workaround would be to move the program to your user directory.

If the program *is* in your user directory, then there's something even dumber going on there, which would require debugging. (Real debugging using e.g. gdb, not the MMF "debugger".)

18. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    No one else having the no music problem even with the music local to the game folder then?

I'm just wondering if it's having trouble locating it; its named "BG_Music" in the Sonic Classic folder and is on the G:\ (external) drive.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The main problem in this game is a distinct lack of polish. Glitches are rampant in Clickteam-based games but I feel some of the ones in this game could have been avoided.

Such as the way this game handles saving. I mean why do I have to keep adjusting the resolution every time the game restarts (assuming you've not shut down the game entirely and rebooted)? I thought there were beta testers. The camera struggles at times and the framerate likes to drop.

And I question the choice in music. It's very inconsistent. Kirby music has no place in a Sonic game, really.

However, it's still a very good game. I'm not seeing the same issues with the level design as others are seeing, and although some parts are a bit tacky, this is traditional for fangames. And unlike most fangames, this one's "complete".

There's wear and tear on all fronts but it's a nice little game.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    See, this [amongst other similar things] is why I decided to stop beta testing this. All of those points were in my bug reports since January 11th. When Hez released the second private beta, and I found out that many things I reported were still there, I thought "fuck it" and stopped to care. I won't download the final version for what it's worth. Nice work on releasing one of the only finished fangames ever, but the attention given to the bugfixes is definitely subpar. I'll say this straight: I don't like Sonic Classic. There I said it.